Gas fridge not working

40ftnarrowboater

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, El Perro Negro said:

Well guys and gals of the forum. Pleased to say that after being on my knees for an hour, fiddling, brogeling and cleaning, we have a result. Ice is being made as we speak. I just pulled the fridge out of its "socket" as some kind soul had thought of long enough leads/pipes. Took the burner unit off, disposed of an egg cup,'s with of rusty powder, took the jet out, cleaned and pricked that and reassembled...As someone said it ain't getting hot enough to get cold !!!? Years worth of crud gone now.

Sorry if I hijacked the original posters "not lighting thread" but think the problem has the same solution.

Thanks to all

Aj

Good.  Gas cooker burner, hobs, oven jets often get gooo'd up too.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Good.  Gas cooker burner, hobs, oven jets often get gooo'd up too.

Yes. Specifically, gas jets that look fine can get a layer of gloop on the inside face of the hole which reduces the gas flow and therefore the heat. The oven in one of my boats is a perfect example. When I bought the boat, the oven lit fine but would never get warmer than Gas Mark 2. I took the jet out and poked it through and put it back, and immediately it heated up to Gas Mark 5, but still no hotter so I think there is still something reducing its diameter. Next step is to boil it in vinegar which is a well known method of thoroughly cleaning gas jets. 

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. Specifically, gas jets that look fine can get a layer of gloop on the inside face of the hole which reduces the gas flow and therefore the heat. The oven in one of my boats is a perfect example. When I bought the boat, the oven lit fine but would never get warmer than Gas Mark 2. I took the jet out and poked it through and put it back, and immediately it heated up to Gas Mark 5, but still no hotter so I think there is still something reducing its diameter. Next step is to boil it in vinegar which is a well known method of thoroughly cleaning gas jets. 

How I aquired my beautiful ancient half size Super Calor stove years ago, someone threw it in the bin cos it wasn't working properly, just the jets blocked.  No fail safe nonsense on it at all.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

How I aquired my beautiful ancient half size Super Calor stove years ago, someone threw it in the bin cos it wasn't working properly, just the jets blocked.  No fail safe nonsense on it at all.

Lovely cookers, them.

Do you take it out for each BSS or does your boat have the 'grandfather' rights?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lovely cookers, them.

Do you take it out for each BSS or does your boat have the 'grandfather' rights?

Grandfather rights. Its been on this boat since I fitted it out, 20+ years ago.