Brentford To Teddington

Kismet

Featured Posts

Hello!

Sorry I'm sure its already been asked but couldn't find anything giving my concrete answers. I am pretty new to boating currently moored my 40' narrow boat in uxbridge and planning on going down to Shepperton. The Tidal part of the thames is worrying me a bit, I have read about the tide times and when is the best time to head off but any other advice on navigating that part of the thames would be helpful, is it sensible to do for someone a bit less experienced?  thanks!

Go up with the rising tide - specific time to do that will vary from day to day

You'll need a licence for the non tidal Thames - you can buy it from Teddington lock

You ought to have an anchor (though I suspect many don't) and life jacket(s) just in case

You should be prepared to show your BSS - but can self declare if not 'to hand'

If you're bothered it's a good idea to go up with another boat.

Brentford to Teddington is a lovely trip and going up from 2 hours before high tide is smooth and a lot faster than on a canal. 

Now what questions do you want answered?

Edited by OldGoat

11 minutes ago, Kismet said:

Hello!

Sorry I'm sure its already been asked but couldn't find anything giving my concrete answers. I am pretty new to boating currently moored my 40' narrow boat in uxbridge and planning on going down to Shepperton. The Tidal part of the thames is worrying me a bit, I have read about the tide times and when is the best time to head off but any other advice on navigating that part of the thames would be helpful, is it sensible to do for someone a bit less experienced?  thanks!

Its a doddle. Just talk to the lockies re best time to go out. If its been raining for yonks that will effect the levels but its a very easy stretch of river. Nice trip just make sure you have the sensible stuff safety wise on board. Enjoy. Remember ring or talk to a lockie at either Brentford or Teddington.

16 minutes ago, Kismet said:

Hello!

The very useful St Pancras Cruising Club Tidal Thames Cruising guide:

http://www.stpancrascc.co.uk/sites/default/files/Thames Cruising Guide_0_0.pdf

2019 Brentford  Lock times:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/refresh/media/thumbnail/39655-tide-times-brentford-lock-2019.pdf

No VHF Radio is required between Brentford and Teddington (($0' boats are exempt anyway)

It's an easy and very nice trip as long as you follow the recommendations regarding anchors etc.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I always get out of Brentford as soon as the tide and CaRT allow. That should get you to Twickenham half tide lock in plenty of time to go through the barrier and not pay for the lock. Navigation is not difficult for a river.

I think you mean Richmond Half Tide Lock ?

Its a lovely trip so do take your time and enjoy it, no need to go flat out just because you are on a big river.  Have a look at a map first so you know what to expect and not to get confused when you meet an island, and to know which arch of the bridge to go through and how the rather odd signalling works. ?  Its not busy, you are not likely to encounter other boats.

Last time we did it the back of Brentford lock was full of rubbish so watch out for this as you don't want a prop foul just as you go out onto the river.

...............Dave

On 26/03/2019 at 11:40, Tony Brooks said:

I always get out of Brentford as soon as the tide and CaRT allow. That should get you to Twickenham half tide lock in plenty of time to go through the barrier and not pay for the lock. Navigation is not difficult for a river.

I think that's known as Richmond half lock.

Watch out for logs and big floating debris when underway.

It's a great trip. You may find a few boats waiting for the tide at Brentford to go at the same time so speak to see which one you can follow and buddy up to.

Edited by mark99