Rust killer

Featured Posts

Just bought a 30 years old steel cruiser stern. Calorifier had been leaking which caused a hole in the base plate, this has been welded now and is fine. The rest of hull inside has some rust that im going to get of with a wire brush. I want to know what to treat it with after. There are so many products out there so which one please.

2 minutes ago, Old Son said:

I would always use Vactan, no messy washing away the surplus after application.

For "the rest of the hull inside"?  I also rate Vactan by the way, but for more localised work - this sounds like the entire bilge or perhaps more.

3 hours ago, CLIVE58 said:

Just bought a 30 years old steel cruiser stern. Calorifier had been leaking which caused a hole in the base plate, this has been welded now and is fine. 

a hole (like seeing daylight) or a crater/depression?  

............  yes, Vactan wherever there is rust. 

PS: it is of no value if you brush the metal to shiny bright, it is only effective on rusty surfaces.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I am a big Vactan advocate myself, but he'll have to be quite well heeled to buy Vactan in sufficient quantities to coat the whole of his bilge or perhaps even all of the inside of his hull! We await that information.

I wonder if they’d do a deal for a few gallons of the stuff. 

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I am a big Vactan advocate myself, but he'll have to be quite well heeled to buy Vactan in sufficient quantities to coat the whole of his bilge or perhaps even all of the inside of his hull! We await that information.

Hadn't noticed it was the entire hull, rather than just the engine hole. 
I have never seen Vactan in  large containers but might be worth enquiring. 
I have seen Fertan in larger containers, but this needs rinsing according to literature.
Some people use Waxoyl but I find it stinks for months inside a boat. Even when I did the gas locker it was noticeable.
Some people swear by Owatrol oil, but not sure of the economics.
I was once told that old steel boats (Dutch barges?) were simply greased on the inside of the hull?