Inconsiderate boating on the Trent - Grr....

Jan13

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Sadly very true. 

Even more sadly it is bound to be an owner of a big white boat.

They don't do themselves any favours up there.

Not so! 

The rudest, most obnoxious plonker I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet was on the Torksey landing in his little narrowboat. I’ll never forget the name, it was 3 letters.. One was I, another N and the last A. 

I do hope it’s sunk somewhere now. 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, billh said:

My mistake , it was a Frigate! One of  the four RN canal fleet built by J.L.Pinder in 1972/4 - frigate, two destroyers and a submarine for recruiting purposes. I  now look after what was HMS LONDON, the name was changed depending on which city the campaign was  targeted on. So, could be HMS MANCHESTER, BIRMINGHAM etc. The idea was to bring the Navy into places away from the coast and attract a new source of young people.

She now has different name, after a locomotive but that is also an old RN name. She looks nothing like a destroyer now, bog standard narrowboat superstructure but unusual hull shape.

I expect someone on here will soon  post  a picture of the RN  fleet gathered at Little Venice in the 70's .?

Ah! I knew of those and have seen photos, but I never met one.  I hope she serves you well! :)

4 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

My very limited experience of the Trent (albeit with a particular incident in mind) does suggest that some such behaviour is by boaters that have strayed upstream from the sea (potentially with no licence to do so) and who have not bothered to read up on local conditions and fail to realise that what is permissible out at sea is very different inland.

Very unlikely anyone has just arrived from the sea .

6 hours ago, Jan13 said:

I don’t know where they were based but the offender had a small dark pennant on the prow with a white and red badge on it.

Farndon boat Club

I am not a member.

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Very unlikely anyone has just arrived from the sea .

We must have met the unlikely one in that case (we did get a pretty good idea of how they arrived as they had an encounter with a lock keeper . . . )

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

We must have met the unlikely one in that case (we did get a pretty good idea of how they arrived as they had an encounter with a lock keeper . . . )

Was that recently?

40 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Not really - 2007

I referred to the boat causing the issue for the OP being unlikely to be a recent arrival. This being due to it being March and recent high water on the river making navigation troublesome.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

One of  the four RN canal fleet built by J.L.Pinder in 1972/4 - frigate, two destroyers and a submarine for recruiting purposes.

I remember meeting these at various places.  They had a reputation for speeding and being aggressive.  Typical Grey Funnel Line.

8 hours ago, billh said:

My mistake , it was a Frigate! One of  the four RN canal fleet built by J.L.Pinder in 1972/4 - frigate, two destroyers and a submarine for recruiting purposes. I  now look after what was HMS LONDON, the name was changed depending on which city the campaign was  targeted on. So, could be HMS MANCHESTER, BIRMINGHAM etc. The idea was to bring the Navy into places away from the coast and attract a new source of young people.

She now has different name, after a locomotive but that is also an old RN name. She looks nothing like a destroyer now, bog standard narrowboat superstructure but unusual hull shape.

I expect someone on here will soon  post  a picture of the RN  fleet gathered at Little Venice in the 70's .?

I’ve got a book about these called ‘When Britannia ruled the cut’ IIRC. Very interesting book. 

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Thought that would wind you up!   Not being serious.

One of my uncles was in MGBs and another in a Naval Salvage Tug.

Surely they are good features in a war canoe: fast and aggressive? 

Howard

26 minutes ago, howardang said:

Surely they are good features in a war canoe: fast and aggressive? 

Well, yes.  The Dog Boats had four Packard petrol engines, just the thing for the Trent.  5,000 hp,  29 knots.

16 hours ago, Mike55 said:

I’ve got a book about these called ‘When Britannia ruled the cut’ IIRC. Very interesting book. 

And of course Nigel Farage will be Commander of the Fleet once the Empire is re-established back to its former glory after Brexit in 2030 - or so I'm told.

• Greenie 1

On 26/03/2019 at 09:20, noddyboater said:

I must admit I’ve never understood why there are so many that are kept so far inland though

I live in Farndon - the boat is moored less than a mile from home. The chief officer decided we should have a sea boat when we bought our first boat 11 years ago , and I dont like picking  arguments  with  her.

I would add we hired narrowboats in the past so we do have an appreciation for different types of boat.  Even went sailing last year and hope to do so again.

It seems  to me the Trent below Nottingham is well suited to cruisers , including those  deigned to be used at sea. The mix of inland waters boating and occasional sea trips is a good.

Edited by MartynG
typo

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

I live in Farndon - the boat is moored less than a mile from home. The chief officer decided we should have a sea boat when we bought our first boat 11 years ago , and I dont like picking  arguments  with  her.

I would add we hired narrowboats in the past so we do have an appreciation for different types of boat.  Even went sailing last year and hope to do so again.

It seems  to me the Trent below Nottingham is well suited to cruisers , including those  deigned to be used at sea. The mix of inland waters boating and occasional sea trips is a good.

Indeed. In may ways the Trent is more suited to cruisers than to narrowboats with the high wall moorings that are easy enough to get on and off with a cruiser but seem difficult with a narrowboat.

6 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Indeed. In may ways the Trent is more suited to cruisers than to narrowboats with the high wall moorings that are easy enough to get on and off with a cruiser but seem difficult with a narrowboat.

Narrowboats are designed for canals.  Narrow canals.  Not rivers or ship canals.  I have done both, but they do present problems.

Horses for courses.

On 27/03/2019 at 17:41, MartynG said:

Farndon has received a few of the moorers from Burton Waters this week who have fancied a change.

More big white Sealines for the Trent :D

17 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

Narrowboats are designed for canals.  Narrow canals.  Not rivers or ship canals.  I have done both, but they do present problems.

Horses for courses.

I’d agree that narrowboats are definitely more at home on canals than rivers, but some are more capable than others. I wouldn’t for instance take one on the tidal Trent that couldn’t at least hold it’s own against a changing tide, but many people do and think nothing of it.

A relief keeper at Stockwith once told me I couldn’t lock out as I would run out of incoming tide well before Torksey. That’s fine I said, it will just take me a bit longer. He reluctantly agreed I could go but insisted I rang him on entering Torksey cut as he still doubted it was possible!

The other craft that of course don’t look “right” on rivers are wide narrowboats or whatever you want to call them. But they don’t look right anywhere. 

7 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I wouldn’t for instance take one on the tidal Trent that couldn’t at least hold it’s own against a changing tide,

4 mph may be fine for canals, but you definitely need more 'oomph' on rivers, unless you like going backwards.  It may be a good idea to find somewhere with a higher speed limit, and find out just how fast your craft can go.  You may be disappointed, but that is better than getting into real trouble in a fast Current.  I speak from experience.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Farndon has received a few of the moorers from Burton Waters this week who have fancied a change.

More big white Sealines for the Trent :D

The more the better.

The numbers of Sealines at Farndon has certainly increased dramatically over the 11 years we have had a boat.

The average size of boats at Farndon Marina has certainly  increased with quite few near 50 footers (which is very big for a cruiser)  - not just Sealines. Some  would be not much  good at Burton waters due to the lack of clearance at Saxilby. 

I suppose you are one of the few that leave BW  marina. And just now not even  you as NCal is ashore. The Fosscut may silt up due to lack of use - or become  knitted up with fishing line.

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I cannot get past Saxilby as it is at the moment - and - its hard work getting that far.

You are not missing much excitement, as you probably know.

I  would not rule out the possibility of changing to a  smaller boat when old age and the chief officer tell me to do so.

I quite like Brayford Pool and  the R.Witham for sentimental reasons (being a 'Yellowbelly'  )  and the Fossdyke  is simply a conduit to get there.