Magnet fishing closes M5

springy

Featured Posts

My Dad once found an unexploded WW2 bomb, turned out to be a really big deal. The Army came in and evacuated all the housing estates closest to it, and closed all the local roads and schools while they sorted it out. It was all very exciting but the Army were all so good at what they do it was over and done with ever so quick once they got stuck in about it - bit of a let down in the end really. ?

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I may be wrong, sounds like a Fb troll!

Looking for their 15 minutes of fame, you mean? 

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

but that does not look like a bomb.

I suppose, in theory, a bomb can look like anything you put it into. The bit we're used to seeing is just the shell and only look like a big bullet if they're to be propelled some how. The IRA were notorious for putting bombs in pipes - though the M5 does seem a strange place to find unexploded ordnance. 

I don't  understand why there should be any objection to magnet fishing  - especially as the family involved seem to take all the junk home with them.

Nor do I see why anyone should think  the family should be sent a bill .  

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

yes, but that does not look like a bomb

Looks exactly like a pipe bomb to me 

Do you think bombs are  spherical  with ''Bomb'' written on them.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/water-safety-and-magnet-fishing

Water safety and magnet fishing

Our waterways are enjoyed by thousands of people everyday. And many of you take an interest in the weird and wonderful items that sometimes find their way to the bottom of the canal. Removing these items from the canal bed however, can be dangerous without the appropriate support.

It’s great that people are interested in getting rubbish out of the canal, however we don't allow magnet fishing as it can be extremely dangerous. Items dragged out by magnets could be sharp or heavy and cause you to be dragged into the water. We’ve even had reports of people fishing out old war bombs and dumped weapons.

When people leave piles of metal on the towpath it can cause problems for other visitors, for example families with young children.

3 minutes ago, dave moore said:

It’s my understanding that the object found was in fact a flare, according to local news reports.

Which would have a potential to explode.

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/water-safety-and-magnet-fishing

Our waterways are enjoyed by thousands of people everyday. And many of you take an interest in the weird and wonderful items that sometimes find their way to the bottom of the canal. Removing these items from the canal bed however, can be dangerous without the appropriate support.

It’s great that people are interested in getting rubbish out of the canal, however we don't allow magnet fishing as it can be extremely dangerous. Items dragged out by magnets could be sharp or heavy and cause you to be dragged into the water. We’ve even had reports of people fishing out old war bombs and dumped weapons.

When people leave piles of metal on the towpath it can cause problems for other visitors, for example families with young children.

I agree with the last line.

But if the recovered metal is taken away I don't see it as a big  issue and in fact a benefit to boats by clearing debris.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Looks exactly like a pipe bomb to me 

Do you think bombs are  spherical  with ''Bomb'' written on them.

It might not have “Bomb” written on it...

9C7D1675-75EF-4BA5-9628-16A6ED26871F.jpeg.8014fcbf17bd1e1c98f2260bc90a5fe2.jpeg

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, MartynG said:

But if the recovered metal is taken away I don't see it as a big  issue and in fact a benefit to boats by clearing debris.

Yes for inert debris, but there was another grenade pulled out at Leigh last week. 

Since magnet fishing became a craze recently, there have been a lot of explosives pulled out around the country.  Bomb disposal are quite concerned that one of these is going to go off when it's disturbed.

We've been along the R,. Somme a few times (horrid history but beautiful now) and I often wonder what we are passing over, always a bit careful when banging pins in and prodding about with longshafts.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Actually flares burn, although one in poor condition could deflagrate, and some may then say it "exploded". :)

Red Parachute flares go with a bang

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

I don't  understand why there should be any objection to magnet fishing  - especially as the family involved seem to take all the junk home with them.

Nor do I see why anyone should think  the family should be sent a bill .  

They don't take the junk home. Towpaths around Birmingham are now littered with piles of rusty metal because of this craze.

23 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

They don't take the junk home. Towpaths around Birmingham are now littered with piles of rusty metal because of this craze.

Now that's just wrong and very selfish. That kind of behaviour make make's me really angry. ?

28 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Not all of them leave their rubbish beside the waterways. 

We spent a happy hour or so last summer with a bunch of magnet fishermen and they were bagging up everything that they "caught" before depositing it in the bin.

They are not all untidy.

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not all of them leave their rubbish beside the waterways. 

We spent a happy hour or so last summer with a bunch of magnet fishermen and they were bagging up everything that they "caught" before depositing it in the bin.

They are not all untidy.

I'm sure you're right but I do see a lot of rusty detritus.  Saying that, at least if it's on the towpath it's away from my prop.

12 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Carefully worded: they don't allow it but say nothing about banning it. (They know that it would be even harder and costly to police than fishing from a boat without a licence!

13 hours ago, Jerra said:

LOL.   Surely if there are unexploded items they are better out than in.

Very true!  For people to say just leave them in the water undisturbed is far from my thoughts.

My boat touches bottom more often than I care to remember and I would rather it doesn't disturb a 1000pounder when it does!

George