Window tint advice please.

Charliecharlie

Featured Posts

I'd like to tint my boat windows. Privacy one way would be ideal but I can't find any due to the nature of one way tint, which are fitted inside the window. I don't want them fitted on the exterior. Or has anyone used a smoky tint on their windows. I know I can pull the curtains. But she is a 70 ft ex hire boat with large numerous windows. Any advice would be brilliant. Thank you in advance. Chaz

Edited by Charliecharlie

17 minutes ago, Charliecharlie said:

I'd like to tint my boat windows. Privacy one way would be ideal but I can't find any due to the nature of one way tint, which are fitted inside the window. I don't want them fitted on the exterior. Or has anyone used a smoky tint on their windows. I know I can pull the curtains. But she is a 70 ft ex hire boat with large numerous windows. Any advice would be brilliant. Thank you in advance. Chaz

My last boat had something, a film fitted on the inside of the glass. From inside looking out was as normal but with a small tint. From outside the boat it was not possible to look into the boat as it was like looking at a mirror unless face pushed right up against the glass. It was exellent stuff but had been done before I bought the boat. Sorry I cant be more helpful other than to convey stuff is available on a roll to cut and stick on yourself from somewhere.

I think you may find that a privacy film works fine during daylight (when it's brighter outside than in) but the reverse is true in darkness. That means outsiders will be able to see in, but you won't see out (you'll see a mirror). Not a problem provided you remember to draw the curtains/lower the blinds.

I've tinted a few car windows in my time, and it sounds like the one you want is the mirrored. It'll look just a tad silvery/dark from inside looking out, depending on how the light is, but mostly pretty much unnoticeable. From outside it will mostly look like a mirror, depending on how the light is. I think Matchpoint is prolly right about the effect reversing when the light is the other way, but I'm not certain.

What I do know is how to apply the stuff. It's actually a bit tricky the first time you do it, and pealing off the sticky backing can leave you with a large flappy sheet getting stuck to its self or at least picking up dust. Once it gets a crinkle in it, that's your finish gone.

So, cut to size first - just a tad over for trimming after it's on. Use plenty of water from a spray bottle to keep a mist on the window and the film, and ideally one person is removing the backing as another sprays and coordinates (It all gets a bit staticky as you peel). You need to get the film on AS you peel, not after. If you get the film on, you can slide it around provided you have enough water under it (ideally add a tad of fairy to the water) but be careful not to crinkle it. When it is in place, start squeegeing out from the centre until all water is gone. Use a sharp knife to trim but be careful as if there is water still at the edges, again the film can ruck up/crinkle as you work. Dry it all off when done (cloth round the edges) .

It's one of those things - you'll prolly get better at it after a couple of goes so get plenty of film!

Quality of film varies a lot too - the best is thin and strong, the cheaper ones are a bit thicker but if you are doing perfectly flat windows, it should be one thing you don't have to worry about (compound curves on cars require stretch heating prior to fixing).

Good luck!

• Greenie 1

Thank you everyone. I think I may go down the tinted car type of film. The reverse action of the one-way might be a bit of a hindrance. And not sure a 70ft mirror is a good look lol  Just got to find the right one. Thanks again. 

46 minutes ago, Taslim said:

Fleabay. Car tint film. Worked for me.

Taslim, would you have a link for a car window tint. There are so many and I'm sure not all good quality.

The relative appearance of darkness of the tint will depend how much light you have coming in the boat - so on a very windowy area you might need to go fairly dark with the tint

My favourite used to be "Dark Smoke" as a good compromise between privacy and being able to see (especially at night). 

PS: different brands will have different hues - some tend toward a redish/purple ness, others can be a little bluish, some are very neutral.

Edited by Johny London

1 hour ago, Charliecharlie said:

Thank you everyone. I think I may go down the tinted car type of film. The reverse action of the one-way might be a bit of a hindrance. And not sure a 70ft mirror is a good look lol  Just got to find the right one. Thanks again. 

Taslim, would you have a link for a car window tint. There are so many and I'm sure not all good quality.

All I remember is that it was (is) described as 'ProLimoBlack. Comes in various shades, colours & guages.  My impression was that it's the skill of the operative that makes the difference in finish. Have a practice first somewhere it's easy to scrape off. Be methodical but don't hang about.