Arctic cable - do I need to use it?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Personally on a boat I’d use HO7 rated flex over artic or “household” flex...

Why?

I can understand why you might prefer H07RN for a shore power cable even though it is black and therefore harder to see but why would you prefer it as installation cable?

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Why?

I can understand why you might prefer H07RN for a shore power cable even though it is black and therefore harder to see but why would you prefer it as installation cable?

I use it because I've never had to pay for it, someone else always has ;)

10 hours ago, nicknorman said:

You do worry me sometimes! A cable doesn’t have a rating per se, it has a rating taking into account the type of installation. So yes 1.5 can take 16A in free air. However when it is installed within an insulated space (between cabin lining and insulation being typical on a narrowboat) you have to derate it.

Don't worry, I do know the answers before I ask the daft questions, I do it to see if I can flush out daft answers from the self appointed experts on here :)

Edited by Loddon
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Don't worry, I do know the answers before I ask the daft questions, I do it to see if I can flush out daft answers. :)

Ooh! Open season!  Daft answer providers to the fore!!

(Those who do not do daft answers can have a rest as he already knows the sensible ones) :D

8 hours ago, WotEver said:

Why?

Why use artic? I’ve even had a surveyor saying you can only use artic because boats get cold....

I use HO7 because the sleeving has good resistance to abrasion...the heat and oil resistance might...I repeat might!...be useful...it has a good minimum bend radius which is very useful in a confined space  and because I have other uses for it then I have a ready supply. I’ve also found the copper to be less likely to suffer if it’s exposed to damp...not as good as tinned but acceptable for a inland boat. 

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I’ve even had a surveyor saying you can only use artic because boats get cold....

Yet another observation from an ‘expert’ talking out of his arse. 

2 hours ago, Keith M said:

The IET recommend H07 RNF for marine applications. 

Why don’t they recommend tinned copper like the NMEA do?

27 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Why would wire come in a tin and not in a roll.

Arctic cable obviously comes on an Arctic Roll!

Its what the eskimos use.......inuit (as smelly would say)

Of course, an Eskimo roll is something entirely different......you can't have your a̶r̶c̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶r̶o̶l̶l̶ kayak and heat it.

???

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Murflynn said:

just now?

oooh errr ................  what is hiding in the pipeline ?   :unsure:

That's what I was getting at. Surely the IET aren't going to do something other than simply wring membership money from engineers?