max size boat for all network

umpire111

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, the limiting length factor is 6' 10" as Jen correctly stated.

The maximum beam would be 57 feet bit that would be unusual on a canal boat.

Think outside the box !!!

Another way of navigating the whole system is with a boat 57' long, but with a draft + air draft less than, or equal to 6'10". Provided that the beam will still allow the boat to float and fit under bridges and tunnels with it on its side of course.

Jen

Or with a coracle, which either has a length of 6'10", or a beam of 6'10", but not both. Unfortunately those big round orange life boats you see for sale are too big.

Jen

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Another way of navigating the whole system is with a boat 57' long, but with a draft + air draft less than, or equal to 6'10". Provided that the beam will still allow the boat to float and fit under bridges and tunnels with it on its side of course.

Also advisable not to attempt it in the Summer with the windows or door open.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, the limiting length factor is 6' 10" as Jen correctly stated.

The maximum beam would be 57 feet bit that would be unusual on a canal boat.

Think outside the box !!!

I was trying to think outside the box - unfortunately the box is still 57' (give or take a few feet) by 6'10" (give or take a few inches) whichever way round you put it ?. I suspect a length of 6'10" is probably just as unusual as a width of 57', though admittedly I've not been round measuring other boats to check, maybe somebody else has better information?

It also occurs to me that it would be quite tricky to fit suitable swims for a 57 foot wide boat into a 6'10" length...

2 minutes ago, aracer said:

I was trying to think outside the box - unfortunately the box is still 57' (give or take a few feet) by 6'10" (give or take a few inches) whichever way round you put it ?. I suspect a length of 6'10" is probably just as unusual as a width of 57', though admittedly I've not been round measuring other boats to check, maybe somebody else has better information?

It also occurs to me that it would be quite tricky to fit suitable swims for a 57 foot wide boat into a 6'10" length...

You just have to think differently. The swims are put in the beam, not the length axis. The prop is actually a mid line bow thruster.

7 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

It's beginning to sound like the ultimate go-anywhere boat is a 6 foot 10 inch diameter sphere....

Here you go.

Pic 800px-Kids_in_inflatable_floating_balls.JPG.3e97aa6b671b1d93af1dc66d2f2809bf.JPG

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You just have to think differently. The swims are put in the beam, not the length axis. The prop is actually a mid line bow thruster.

Ah, I think I understand now. Presumably you could also put a ducted forward (and reverse) propulsion unit at the opposite end to the bow thruster if you wanted?

Just now, aracer said:

Ah, I think I understand now. Presumably you could also put a ducted forward (and reverse) propulsion unit at the opposite end to the bow thruster if you wanted?

You could, but it is more traditional to have a bow thruster that goes really well in one sideways direction, but gives rubbish steering in the other. Which direction that is depends on which ends you have defined as the bow and the stern of your 6'10" long, cheap to licence boat.

Jen

26 minutes ago, aracer said:

The main reason for getting a 6ft 10in length boat 57ft wide is the CRT licence will be so much cheaper than a 57ft boat, 6ft 10in wide. 

31 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You could, but it is more traditional to have a bow thruster that goes really well in one sideways direction, but gives rubbish steering in the other. Which direction that is depends on which ends you have defined as the bow and the stern of your 6'10" long, cheap to licence boat.

The trouble is, it still seems really hard to swap which end is which on my 6'10" long boat. I've spotted these really wide bits on the canal though which I think I might fit the whole width across - do you think I could use them to swap which end is which? It would be so nice to have good steering in both directions.

Edited by aracer

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

It's beginning to sound like the ultimate go-anywhere boat is a 6 foot 10 inch diameter sphere....

Still be too wide for some of the Shrewsbury and Newport canals if they ever restore them ?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Still be too wide for some of the Shrewsbury and Newport canals if they ever restore them ?

And the plastic spheres in the picture in my post #80 wouldn't be allowed through the Standedge Tunnel, so not "go anywhere". Metal, or wood hulls only.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

8 hours ago, aracer said:

Surely you're still limited to 57 foot beam though for some locks?

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The maximum beam would be 57 feet 

Yes, that’s what he said, innit?

On 02/04/2019 at 12:21, magpie patrick said:

Or a chain of them...

Engine and propulsion in one, kitchen and dining in another, bedroom with en-suite in a third.

If visitors arrive go and hire some more of the latter and insert as required.

The conventional mode would be a boat 6 foot 10 wide but flexible; if you get to a really tricky bit (or need to wind in a tight space) disconnect the sphere's from each other, manuavere and re-assemble.

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

Or a chain of them...

Engine and propulsion in one, kitchen and dining in another, bedroom with en-suite in a third.

If visitors arrive go and hire some more of the latter and insert as required.

The conventional mode would be a boat 6 foot 10 wide but flexible; if you get to a really tricky bit (or need to wind in a tight space) disconnect the sphere's from each other, manuavere and re-assemble.

Converted Tom Puddings?

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

First thing is to ascertain the exact length of your boat by measuring it accurately, not as straightforward a task as you might think. 

Tie it to a jetty, use a big square, two chalkmarks and a tape measure.

How much more straightforward do you want?

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Greenie 1