Northampton

robtheplod

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not sure where the exact cut-off point is, but that's the right way round. It's certainly the Old River "Neen" through Upwell.

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Nene for why it is not entirely straightforward - always best to raise a subject here that has multiple possible answers - much more fun.

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

always best to raise a subject here that has multiple possible answers - much more fun.

It does give the opportunity for numerous members to state with absolute authority and conviction that they are right, while giving radically different explanations.

5 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Nene for why it is not entirely straightforward - always best to raise a subject here that has multiple possible answers - much more fun.

I've got an interesting history of the Ordnance Survey somewhere, which has an section on how this project  led in C19th to the codification of a lot of spellings of place names; and that in many cases the surveyor asked the local clergyman (as an educated person)  how to spell the word concerned.

11 hours ago, Loddon said:

Lower Ringstead is likely to be longer than that!

Earls Barton should be off on the 5th so we are staying in Northampton until that weekend.

Never heard that!

Always to my knowledge has been Nen from source to Oundle, Nene from Oundle to the sea.

Ah so I was right. Well, almost...

10 hours ago, Loddon said:

We are leaving the smelly ditches and moving to Blackthorn on the Nen. About time we took up the mooring there that we have been paying for since last June.

Ok so we'll be down the water way from each other again. 

10 hours ago, Loddon said:

Since Northants has strange pronounciation how should one say

Cogenhoe if you are not local. :)

There is also Bozeat, another logical place name

Cook-no. Even I have to do that one.

Edited by blackrose

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok so we'll be down the water way from each other again. 

Yep

Slightly closer than the 14hrs ;) it was last time.

Leaving BE tomorrow, easy boating Tring, Linslade, Linford, Arm End then Northampton.

23 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Our doctor's surgery at Thrapston always answer the phone as Nenn Valley, if that helps?? Apparently Peterborough to Thrapston it's Nenn and from there to Northampton it's the Nene. Now you know!

Wrong way round. Nenn in Northampton. 

Cogenhoe - Cook no

Bozeat - Bo (as in hoe) zhat (as in shat but with a z) 

Edited by Ssscrudddy

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Happisburgh (not on the middle level), and Wisbech......wots that all about then?

Don't know the first one; the second is pronounced "Wisbeach", and used to be written that way too. At Whittlesey on the ML, the railway station is still "Whittlesea".

In case anyone is wondering, it's "May-nee".

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Don't know the first one; the second is pronounced "Wisbeach", and used to be written that way too. At Whittlesey on the ML, the railway station is still "Whittlesea".

In case anyone is wondering, it's "May-nee".

Happisburgh on the Norfolk coast....pronounced "Haze-bruh". I have heard people call Wisbech, "Wise beck"

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:19, blackrose said:

Give me a shout if you're passing Julian. I'm the first boat on the right at Cogenhoe mill steam heading downstream. You can't miss me.

Are you moving to a new mooring on the Nene or just cruising?

What is the pub in the village like these days?  It had changed hands last time I was there, and was useless.  The caravan site clubhouse was very welcoming, with a great atmosphere, but unfortunately no cask beer.

34 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

What is the pub in the village like these days?  It had changed hands last time I was there, and was useless.  The caravan site clubhouse was very welcoming, with a great atmosphere, but unfortunately no cask beer.

I went there a couple of months ago, they were very welcoming and we had a good meal there.

As someone born in Northampton 77 years ago and still living in the county it is the Nen to somewhere round about Oundle and then it becomes the Neen in local parlance. Not sure why and it’s annoying for us to hear it referred to as the Neen by bbc local tv whose studio is in Cambridge. BBC radio Northampton gets it right. Years ago Terry Wogan played a request for someone from Hig ham ferrers

cogenhoe is really good one pronounced cookno.

started canoeing on the Nen aged 10. Used to play in the outfall of the power station (now long gone) thought it was like real rapids. Rowed and sailed the cadet forces whaler and jolly boat from an island near Abington lock before graduating to Tankers and then narrowboats. 

The place above the last lock on the arm was where bwb had a transshipment shed for the newsprint that use to come plus timber for 2 yards that were near south bridge.

When the current Earl Spencer took over the estate he started calling it Allthrup instead of Allthorpe but he was soon aware that this was not acceptable locally and now refers to it correctly.

local place names are a nightmare all over the country and for strangers trying to ask directions.

17 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

local place names are a nightmare all over the country and for strangers trying to ask directions.

Ill chuck in two that have pretty much lost thier local way of being  said.

Silverstone      Silerstone

Blisworth      Blizerth

I have my old next door neighbour in Whittlebury to thank for those gems.

Oh and Ravensthorpe    (the one in Northants )   Raanstrup from 2 old boys in the pub there many years ago.

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

My parents kept the pub at Ravensthorpe at the end of the 60s and there were some good old boys who used the pub then. In the winter dad used to keep pokers in the fire son they could warm up the stingo nips and bitter. Never heard it called Ravensthrup but it’s possible.

there is a village near us called Eydon.The controversy is wether it’s Edon or Eye don. I always get it wrong.

i was once asked the way to Lye cester.

Edited by Dav and Pen
Spelling