Baysan gearbox flush & lube

Featured Posts

Just had the engine serviced by RCR and was advised there was some water contamination when he checked the gearbox, a Baysan M30. "Give it a flush and replace the ATF" he said, I nodded. It's only after he'd left that I'd wished I'd asked a few more questions*. For instance which engine flush? I visited my local Halfords today and there's a whole shelf of 'em. Secondly I know where to pour stuff in and drain stuff out but how long do I leave it in for and should I run the engine a bit first? Lastly (for now) should I be replacing it with a particular ATF or are they all much of a muchness. The Midland Chandlers site specifies Shell Donax TF which I believe Shell no longer make.

I await some sagely advice

*I did ask him a lot of questions btw during his 2 hours in the engine bay and he was extremely helpful and patient.

So its a Hurth clone.

Any ATF will do in my view, sometimes it is branded Dexron. No need for the higher performance grades.

I would not put anything other than ATF in it because we have no idea what engine flush might do to the clutches and bearings. I would refill with ATF, run for half an hour or so, drain and refill. Repeat until you drain no more cloudy AT out.

The filler seems to be a largish hexagon set horizontally on top and to the left of centre of the box and the drain seems to be a hexagon almost directly underneath the filler in the bottom of the box.