Air Vent Pipe Issue - Filled with water?

Featured Posts

Hi

I have a vetus sanitation system with a no smell filter. I know nothing about plumbing so please excuse my ignorance. When looking at replacing the no smell filter I have noticed that the pipe leading from the filter to the outside of the boat is filled with water. Should I empty this pipe, as I am assuming the water is stopping the air from coming in? Many thanks for any help in advance!

Yes this should be empty or else you tank cannot vent and if your filter is a charcoal one it will be ruined if it gets wet. In the worse case the tank can pressurize and probably force foul gases back up though the loo - it happened to me.

I had a similar issue with my boat and its Lee San system. The vent pipe from the hull vent fitting dropped about 30cm before rising again to attached to the charcoal filter. This in effect created a water trap, ruined the filter and stopped the tank venting. The hull vent fitting is not really far enough above the waterline and water either got in when a passing boat created a wave or more likely when the hull was jet washed for blacking. I have now re-routed the vent pipe so it goes up immediately inside the hull and then drops to the tank/filter. Seems to be ok now although I ensure there is a plug in the hull vent fitting when it goes in to be blacked.   

On the subject of vents and fittings etc, and blacking/pressure washing, it’s worth keeping the necessary bungs for vents that need to stay dry, and short lengths of hose for those piping exits that you will be using (if you live onboard whilst doing the blacking), so that shower and sink waste water escapes at a distance from the hull, thus not ruining the fresh and still wet blacking. 

Ahh it is making sense now. I bought the boat a year ago and it was sandblasted and blackened as part of the sale. The water might have got in then as it’s been smelling all year with foul smells through the toilet. It also had a long drop. I have managed to suck the water out and a big lump of charcoal that was also blocking it with my wet and dry hoover and now leaving it all to air and dry out while I wait for a new charcoal filter to arrive!

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:34, ditchcrawler said:

I would throw the filter away. its venting outside after all

Unless you have neighbours or windows that open on that side of the boat of course. Smells can easily come back into the boat through open windows.

Edited by blackrose