Indiana Jones and the Chamber of the Lost Lock

magictime

Featured Posts

Stumbled upon this ancient structure today, apparently unseen by human eye for centuries...

Actually it's been positively heaving on the Huddersfield Narrow today - we saw two other boats, and one of them was moving!

HNC.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, magictime said:

Stumbled upon this ancient structure today, apparently unseen by human eye for centuries...

Actually it's been positively heaving on the Huddersfield Narrow today - we saw two other boats, and one of them was moving!

HNC.jpg

I think that's lock 5E and the HNC gets a little busier in summer with boats going through the Standedge Tunnel,which is only open from March to November. Outside these dates there isn't much point in using it,unless like me based in Huddersfield,I frequently chug along it for a lunchtime pint,and turn around.It's almost like having my own private canal,and I do enjoy my little trips.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, magictime said:

HNC.jpg

You have rediscovered the famed Hanging Gardens of Huddersfield.

Jen ?

12 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I frequently chug along it for a lunchtime pint,and turn around.It's almost like having my own private canal

I know why you wait till lunchtime to go up from 1E!  You wait until they have refilled the bottom pound before setting off ...

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

So it's still emptying overnight then.

Yep.  Some bright spark at CRT (or possibly BW?) gave the University of Huddersfield extraction rights for 4 million litres of water, and they use it for cooling the computers in the datacentre next to the lock.  The water is discharged into the river below, not back into the canal.  The pound between 1E and 2E holds about 3.75 million litres ... and it can take up to 5 hours to refill it.

22 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I think that's lock 5E and the HNC gets a little busier in summer with boats going through the Standedge Tunnel,which is only open from March to November. Outside these dates there isn't much point in using it,unless like me based in Huddersfield,I frequently chug along it for a lunchtime pint,and turn around.It's almost like having my own private canal,and I do enjoy my little trips.

Yes, pretty sure it was 5E. And I'm sure it gets busier than this! We've only ever done it in October and now in March.

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:39, TheBiscuits said:

Yep.  Some bright spark at CRT (or possibly BW?) gave the University of Huddersfield extraction rights for 4 million litres of water, and they use it for cooling the computers in the datacentre next to the lock.  The water is discharged into the river below, not back into the canal.  The pound between 1E and 2E holds about 3.75 million litres ... and it can take up to 5 hours to refill it.

I was intrigued by that, so had a look at the Uni website, which on their "Environment and sustainability" page ( https://www.hud.ac.uk/about/environmentandsustainability/ )states; "Energy saving: Our air cooling systems run using canal water, a renewable resource, for over a third of our buildings."

I eventually tracked down a contact for the "Carbon and Energy Reduction Officer" at the Uni, who assures me that "the water is returned to the canal with no losses".

Where did you get your info from?

26 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I was intrigued by that, so had a look at the Uni website, which on their "Environment and sustainability" page ( https://www.hud.ac.uk/about/environmentandsustainability/ )states; "Energy saving: Our air cooling systems run using canal water, a renewable resource, for over a third of our buildings."

I eventually tracked down a contact for the "Carbon and Energy Reduction Officer" at the Uni, who assures me that "the water is returned to the canal with no losses".

Where did you get your info from?

What does the elevated temperature do to the fish?

6 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Except it isn't returned to the canal.  The outfall is the other side of the university and goes into the River Colne.

This is sensible design for a cooling system, but doesn't help much with keeping the pound between 1E and 2E full.  You can see both the intake and the outfall if you stand in the correct places.  The primary intake is a few yards past lock 1E.

I do agree that it's all eco and green and a good cooling system - but it would be a better one if there were remote controlled sluices at the next 5 locks so CRT didn't have to send three blokes in a van every morning to sort out the water levels.

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

What does the elevated temperature do to the fish?

Hardly anything - there is a very low delta-T (change in temperature) between the "cold" and "hot" water, which is why they use 4 million litres a day.  If they just kept recirculating it into the canal as suggested above, you would eventually notice quite a few degrees of temperature increase.

now i’m even more intrigued, why has he lied to me?

the HNC suffers enough without shedloads of water being pissed away on purpose.

might do more digging, i have a relative who was a lecturer there and one who sold them data centre equipment.

27 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

now i’m even more intrigued, why has he lied to me?

the HNC suffers enough without shedloads of water being pissed away on purpose.

might do more digging, i have a relative who was a lecturer there and one who sold them data centre equipment.

He might not be lying to you, just mistaken.

The outfall goes into Aspley Goit, the small stream / outfall that runs down to the river.  That is flagged on CRT's reference map as being CRT managed, so as far as the university are concerned they take CRT water out and then return it later, warmer.

Whoever signed the deal that allows them to take it from above Lock 1E and discharge it below the level of the Huddersfield Broad canal at Aspley need slapping though!

The CaRT boys in blue who came in a van to let water down from lock 3 and get my boat off the canal floor, back in 2017, said it was a leak that they hadn't found the location of yet. Might be true. Might be it was the Uni data centre and they didn't know. Might be the data centre and they did know, but had got fed up with boaters pointing out how dumb this was.

Jen

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

He might not be lying to you, just mistaken.

The outfall goes into Aspley Goit, the small stream / outfall that runs down to the river.  That is flagged on CRT's reference map as being CRT managed, so as far as the university are concerned they take CRT water out and then return it later, warmer.

Whoever signed the deal that allows them to take it from above Lock 1E and discharge it below the level of the Huddersfield Broad canal at Aspley need slapping though!

Crikey, you don't half know some stuff! :)

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Crikey, you don't half know some stuff! :)

The bit I don't know about is the detail of the contract - it could have either been needed to allow the canal to reopen or the University are paying ££££ to CRT for water extraction and release or a bit of each.

Don't forget that CRT make significantly more money out of water rights than they do boats ... it may have been an excellent commercial decision and well worth paying staff to do daily water management, even if it inconveniences the three boats a month that actually use the Hudd.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Except it isn't returned to the canal.  The outfall is the other side of the university and goes into the River Colne.

Hardly anything - there is a very low delta-T (change in temperature) between the "cold" and "hot" water, which is why they use 4 million litres a day.  If they just kept recirculating it into the canal as suggested above, you would eventually notice quite a few degrees of temperature increase.

My comment was in the context that the water was returned to the canal. I agree that with a river discharge it is a different kettle (of fish!)