First Voyage Today

sniffy the great

Featured Posts

Took our new purchase out today for first voyage - just a little meander down the cut for a picnic and back to the marina with a pretty full boat as it happened. The weather was fab and it was a great day - even taking into account the techincal hitch. Did I mention the technical hitch? No? Ahhh, well, what happened was, the boat refused to recognise neutral or reverse. She was fine yesterday when we got some diesel but not today. I should have guessed when we gently coasted into the boat moored in front when we stopped to eat. It was just the merest kiss and the boat was unoccupied but I thought I’d done everything right. It wasn’t until we started back that I realised that, regardless of where the throttle was positioned, including neutral, the engine was engaged and going forward. We travelled all the way back in "neutral". I was a bit concerned about how we’d moor in the marina but I just pointed her in the right direction and cut the engine. We glided in beautifully.

Just got to work out what’s up with the throttle now.  ?

Having said all that - what a fab day. Now relaxing with a suitable libation and going over it all again. Loved it.

sniffy

Sounds like a broken gear cable - try moving the lever on the gearbox by and, you may ave to disconnect the able to allow you to move it. If the box then gives neutral, ahead and astern its 99% certain its the cable but just may be the brass trunnion in the control has snapped

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Sounds like a broken gear cable - try moving the lever on the gearbox by and, you may ave to disconnect the able to allow you to move it. If the box then gives neutral, ahead and astern its 99% certain its the cable but just may be the brass trunnion in the control has snapped

I kept a spare set of cables and trunions etc and never had to use them in 19 years of owning the boat. But nevertheless, a good insurance policy just in case.

We have never snapped a gear cable, but the day I "improved" the tension on the Morse lever it came off in MrsBiscuits hand in a short pound between locks.

That was very educational ... I learned some new words that day.

Edited by TheBiscuits

4 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We have never snapped a gear cable, but the day I "improved" the tension on the Morse lever it came off in MrsBiscuits hand in a short pound between locks.

That was very educational ... I learned some new words that day.

-... --- .-.. .-.. --- -.-. -.- ...

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I broke a gear cable approaching a lock from which a boat was exiting, just as I shoved the lever into reverse and revved up to stop. All that happened was I shot forward flat out at the other boat . Managed to steer it onto the mud before I hit them. 

Saw that happen on the Wey with a day boat, cable didnt brake, just a crappy gearchange unit, straight into the wall

Had a broken gear cable.A bit puzzling at first because it was stuck in forward.

No spare cable and miles from a chandlery,had to improvise.

A screw in the end of a brush handle hooked into the gear lever and with a deck plate moved back a bit sort of worked.

Forward was ok because that was just a push down. Neutral and reverse were difficult because I couldn't feel which was which.Had to put a strip of aluminium tape on the propshaft so that I could see if it was turning. I was glad when I replaced the cable.

I carry a spare now. 

16 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

As a temporary measure before you fix it, it will be more controllable if you park it in an uphill direction. It will slow down quicker.

Don't be silly. You need to park it pointing downhill, so you can push start it.