How hard is it really?

StrawberryQueen

Featured Posts

Unless you are a real alternative lifestyle type it will be the biggest and worst one way  life choice your ever did. A one way ticket to a 70 long and wide ball and chain round you and your families ankle. Funny how these threads come out in spring never the winter. All imo.  Research the costs for one. 

Edited by mark99
  • Happy 1

5 hours ago, StrawberryQueen said:

Yes we've had a holiday, but living on one for a week vs 10 years is very different isn't it.  ?

Well book four  weeks at Christmas, as long as you have some heating method, you will condense your difficulties in to a fairly short period. If you have no heating, you won't last two nights!

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well book four  weeks at Christmas, as long as you have some heating method, you will condense your difficulties in to a fairly short period. If you have no heating, you won't last two nights!

Disagree, the kids will be off skool over xmas thus relieving the most major difficulty. 

Book the four weeks beginning on Jan 8th.

if you sell your bricks and mortar and find canals don't work for your family, it may be very difficult to get back on the housing ladder.

surely better to rent out your house and buy a cheap boat (if your finances will stretch to it) and live on it for a year or so before burning your bridges. 

your concept of what sort of boat, and what layout, may suit you WILL change with experience. .... don't commit a lot of money to an expensive boat until you are very sure of what you really need.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Murflynn said:

if you sell your bricks and mortar and find canals don't work for your family, it may be very difficult to get back on the housing ladder.

surely better to rent out your house and buy a cheap boat (if your finances will stretch to it) and live on it for a year or so before burning your bridges. 

I took the OP to be fully loaded given their plan to buy a brand new 70ft widebeam. I doubt they will get what they describe for less than about £250k and they'll have to pay for it before they sell the house so they have to already have the dosh in the bank. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I took the OP to be fully loaded given their plan to buy a brand new 70ft widebeam. I doubt they will get what they describe for less than about £250k and they'll have to pay for it before they sell the house so they have to already have the dosh in the bank. 

"pipe dream" were possibly the key words in the OP?

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is a 3 (maybe 4) year old 12 foot x 60 foot in our Marina. Asking price is £230k.

Mind you, )just like with cars), you could pay  almost anything depending on quality, fit and finish.

£100,000 to £500,000 would be a typical 'spread'.

I wonder if the OP has priced up 'big fat boats'

A 'middle of the road' boat (but some would say nearer the bottom end) £183,000 (ask question about the VAT situation)

Are they still built in Poland ?

http://newandusedboat.co.uk/new-boats-for-sale/210

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On the Peak Forest last year I saw three narrow boats linked together. I'm guessing the size,but I think it was a 50 footer,a 35 footer,and a small open boat.

All painted purple,and displaying a "Towing"sign. Crewed by a jolly looking elderly couple.

I assume the 50 footer was the main residence and the second for storage,and the open boat to give the grandkids a ride.

So perhaps a practical solution to needing more space?

Just now, Mad Harold said:

On the Peak Forest last year I saw three narrow boats linked together. I'm guessing the size,but I think it was a 50 footer,a 35 footer,and a small open boat.

All painted purple,and displaying a "Towing"sign. Crewed by a jolly looking elderly couple.

I assume the 50 footer was the main residence and the second for storage,and the open boat to give the grandkids a ride.

So perhaps a practical solution to needing more space?

Just get a trailer :

Victoria Plum 4.jpg

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

Victoria Plum 3.jpg

Caan Hill Marina is about the only place on the K&A where this dream is likely to work.  Go and pay and visit, have a look around and have a chat with the management. You could get out some weekends and school holidays and go boating, but do walk a bit of the canal, maybe at Bathampton, and satisfy yourself that you would be happy to take a 70 foot fat boat down that way. Chat to some boaters whilst you are out and decide if you are going to fit in with the "locals", the K&A does have a bit of a liveaboard community going on and so it would be sad if you did not fit in.   You do have tattoos, piercings, multi-coloured hair and the ability to play musical instruments I assume ?

...............Dave

16 minutes ago, dmr said:

You do have tattoos, piercings, multi-coloured hair and the ability to play musical instruments I assume

You don't happen to have a link to the video with Chris Pink, the woman who had the pedal powered boat and the little lad called 'cub' who had to sell all his toys because the nasty C&RT made them move.

What was it called ?

Found it :

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

You do have tattoos, piercings, multi-coloured hair and the ability to play musical instruments I assume

If that is now a requirement, it's going to be easier to find moorings down that way. :D

Remember the old school report thing about effort vs achievement?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't happen to have a link to the video with Chris Pink, the woman who had the pedal powered boat and the little lad called 'cub' who had to sell all his toys because the nasty C&RT made them move.

What was it called ?

Look at poor me iirc. Or was it I demand my rights?

57 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Disagree, the kids will be off skool over xmas thus relieving the most major difficulty. 

Book the four weeks beginning on Jan 8th.

How long do they get for christmas, I was thinking a week at school either end of the ritual  festival turkey with trimmings, The oven runs out of gas on xmas day, and there is no spare!

Edited by LadyG

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What was it called ?

Was it this one 

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What was it called ?

Higgledy Piggety and Pickles, 

Edited by LadyG

Lol. Funny you should mention that. I have blue and purple hair with tattoos and hubby plays the guitar. Would that help? ??

regarding the price, the collingwood abode looks to be a good size and starts at £120kish which is covered by the equity in our house. 

But with what everyone is saying, maybe it’s not the best idea just yet. 

• Happy 2

7 minutes ago, StrawberryQueen said:

Lol. Funny you should mention that. I have blue and purple hair with tattoos and hubby plays the guitar. Would that help? ??

regarding the price, the collingwood abode looks to be a good size and starts at £120kish which is covered by the equity in our house. 

But with what everyone is saying, maybe it’s not the best idea just yet. 

Don't take any notice about tattoos and hair colour.I know several livaboard boaters and if I didn't know that they were livaboard boaters,I wouldn't know that they were livaboard boaters.They have jobs,drive cars,clean their teeth and comb their hair.In other words,normal people.

As I see it,your main problem will be the kids.Education,social life etc.

Could you afford to buy a lower priced boat,and be a "weekender" untill your kids fly the nest?