Selling a Narrowboat

Keajre

Featured Posts

Dear friends,

I’m in the process of selling a narrowboat .  Can I ask is it necessary to register the sale with Maritime and Coast Guard agency?  This is the first time I have sold a boat and I have no experience.

I had issued a bill of sale which was a standard legal template from the Internet appropriate for water vessels.  To me this seems sufficient and outlined various legal caveats such as no guarantee afforded and the boat is sold as seen etc.  However the buyer is requesting we instead use of this :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/763143/MSF_4705_Rev_1118_Bill_of_Sale.pdf

They are also inexperienced, so just want to do the right thing for both of us.    The boat is moored up on the Regents Canal in London with the appropriate CRT registration and license.  The government advice about ships is that they have to be registered and a certificate issued,  perhaps that’s more related to seagoing vessels, guessing here.  I was just planning on informing CRT through their online service and assuming that will be sufficient. 

.Any advice would be extremely appreciated. 

Stuart

3 minutes ago, Keajre said:

Dear friends,

I’m in the process of selling a narrowboat .  Can I ask is it necessary to register the sale with Maritime and Coast Guard agency?  This is the first time I have sold a boat and I have no experience.

I had issued a bill of sale which was a standard legal template from the Internet appropriate for water vessels.  To me this seems sufficient and outlined various legal caveats such as no guarantee afforded and the boat is sold as seen etc.  However the buyer is requesting we instead use of this :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/763143/MSF_4705_Rev_1118_Bill_of_Sale.pdf

They are also inexperienced, so just want to do the right thing for both of us.    The boat is moored up on the Regents Canal in London with the appropriate CRT registration and license.  The government advice about ships is that they have to be registered and a certificate issued,  perhaps that’s more related to seagoing vessels, guessing here.  I was just planning on informing CRT through their online service and assuming that will be sufficient. 

.Any advice would be extremely appreciated. 

Stuart

There is no legislation whatsoever. Its like selling a secondhand chest of drawers. Do what you think fit. Best tell CART after its gone if you want to but owt else is up to you.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

There is no legislation whatsoever. Its like selling a secondhand chest of drawers. Do what you think fit. Best tell CART after its gone if you want to but owt else is up to you.

Thank you for clarifying ?

• Greenie 1

Its not a ship. There is no title of ownership other than the receipt, it has always been so.

Just hand over all the paperwork, certificates etc. a signed receipt, any bills, the receipt you got when you bought it and then tell CRT its has nothing more to do with you. 

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

As Smelly says - except that unless you notify C&RT then you are still 'liable' for any misdemeanours, illegal acts etc of the boat with the new owner.

(eg if they do not re-licence it C&RT will chase you, if they overstay on a mooring, C&RT will chase you, if they have an accident, then C&RT will notify the 3rd party insurers that you are the owner).

It is all simply avoided by telling C&RT you have sold the boat, and to whom you have sold it.

It's all very simple.  I used this Bill of Sale, which satisfied both me and the buyer.  (Caution, I'm not a lawyer).

edit - sorry I don't seem to be able to upload a PDF file.  Any advice?

Edited by koukouvagia

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

WE love ya BS:hug:

Oooh!  Goosebumps.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My belief is that lots and loads of people think I'm great, but just don't tell anyone. 'I' think I am, in the main, great. I try to tell everyone but they don't always listen.

Is this just in the home or have you tried it outside in the real world?

Not doubting you for a moment you understand but it is a rather self centered comment.  We would hate to have you get sensitive and unstable.

Anyway, did the boat sell?

26 minutes ago, Keajre said:

Thanks for the replies everyone really informative and useful.   You guys are great 

The only time I understand you need to register the sale is if the boat is on the Small Ships Register when it would display a number on the side starting with SSR. This normally happens with boats taken overseas so you will often see it in London with cruisers that cross the channel and sometimes Narrowboats that have been on the canals in main land Europe 

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Oooh!  Goosebumps.

Is this just in the home or have you tried it outside in the real world?

Not doubting you for a moment you understand but it is a rather self centered comment.  We would hate to have you get sensitive and unstable.

Anyway, did the boat sell?

Which boat? I am sensitive and definitely unstable. Real world? Nah! I live on a boat. Which is also great.

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The only time I understand you need to register the sale is if the boat is on the Small Ships Register when it would display a number on the side starting with SSR. This normally happens with boats taken overseas so you will often see it in London with cruisers that cross the channel and sometimes Narrowboats that have been on the canals in main land Europe 

With SSR Part 3 (which is what the majority of 'pleasure boats' are registered under) this is only a 'certificate of country of registration'

Part 3 is not a proof of ownership.

Part of my SSR Certificate :

image.png.3f4d8516a0bd8a3790a6148e60d852b7.png

6) How long does SSR registration last?
Registration on Part III of the Register lasts for 5 years. The date of expiry is shown on the ships certificate of registry. You may apply to renew the ships registration up to 3 months before the certificate expires. Registration ceases immediately if a ship is sold or any details change which appear on the certificate of registry. Where this happens the registered owner must return the certificate with a brief explanation of the circumstances of any change. You must also notify the Registry of any change of address.

Part III registration

Register your boat on the Part III (Small Ships Register) if you want to prove the boat’s nationality when sailing outside UK waters.

It costs £35 for 5 years.

To be eligible:

• your boat must be less than 24 metres long
  • you must be a private individual (not a company)
  • you must live in the UK for at least 185 days of the year
  • your boat must have a name

For more information, read the full guidance notes.

You can make changes to an existing registration online, for example change of ownership, address or boat details.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

edit - sorry I don't seem to be able to upload a PDF file.  Any advice?

The brute force way to do it is take a photograph of each page of the document with your phone, and post the photo(s) here.