stop button or relay

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, carlt said:

My car is 100% theft proof... 

It's a Citroën C4 Grand Picasso 

I like them. Sod the posing type cars those c4  are bloody comfortable and sensible to get yer gear in and the dog etc.

28 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Our last diesel car had a stop button on the fuel pump. I found this out once when the stop solenoid packed up.

That is how I normally stop our boat engine, check the volts amps oil temp before shutting down

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I like them. Sod the posing type cars those c4  are bloody comfortable and sensible to get yer gear in and the dog etc.

It does the job better than the Shogun (I'm not sure where that moment of madness came from) but if I didn't have two kids and two big dogs I would be driving something else. 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The diesels are not so good in many cases.

Mine is the diesel and so far it is doing okay. 

It's a lease car though so I don't care because I don't have to fix it. 

Gutless though, compared to my old Synergie.

2 minutes ago, carlt said:

It does the job better than the Shogun (I'm not sure where that moment of madness came from) but if I didn't have two kids and two big dogs I would be driving something else. 

Its horses for courses innitt. I change cars a lot and have had everything out there. As ive got older different things are appreciated, such as seat height and access. Just for a change though we now have a mazda 6, very nippy little car and still get the dog in the hatch bit. The old xsara picasso was dirt cheap, comfy and sold at a profit.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its horses for courses innitt. I change cars a lot and have had everything out there. As ive got older different things are appreciated, such as seat height and access. Just for a change though we now have a mazda 6, very nippy little car and still get the dog in the hatch bit. The old xsara picasso was dirt cheap, comfy and sold at a profit.

Its our second C4 and the seating/ ride suites my back just fine, I have had several citerons BXs before. I like the ride

3 minutes ago, carlt said:

I also had BXs and loved them. 

My lottery car is the SM, oh and a DS for a runabout. 

An old DS, I drove one once, nearly put myself through the windscreen with the hydraulic brakes, they were a bit smother on the BX

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its our second C4 and the seating/ ride suites my back just fine, I have had several citerons BXs before. I like the ride

Yes ,very good bits of kit. The chap who owns our mooring has an old 51 plate C5 hdi auto up for sale now. Its just gone through the mot with zero advisorys. Runs like a dream, all newish tyres and brakes. Full service history and he wants 650 quid for it. Someone will get a hell of a lot of comfy car for peanuts.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Are we talking the BX's with the hydraulic suspension system where they crochet the hydraulic pipes together? I had one that failed it's MOT on those pipes and I spent an age re-crocheting before taking it back for a re-test, the tester told me he hadn't expected to see the car come back 'cos if you don't do the job yourself, the cost exceeds the value of the car. I also had the joy of one of the hydraulic sphere's failing on the M5 leaving a mile long trail of hydraulic fluid along the Exe flyover. Fair to say it wasn't one of my best buys.

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Are we talking the BX's with the hydraulic suspension system where they crochet the hydraulic pipes together? I had one that failed it's MOT on those pipes and I spent an age re-crocheting before taking it back for a re-test, the tester told me he hadn't expected to see the car come back 'cos if you don't do the job yourself, the cost exceeds the value of the car. I also had the joy of one of the hydraulic sphere's failing on the M5 leaving a mile long trail of hydraulic fluid along the Exe flyover. Fair to say it wasn't one of my best buys.

Thats the one, but we didnt have that problem

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

An old DS, I drove one once, nearly put myself through the windscreen with the hydraulic brakes, they were a bit smother on the BX

The brakes were air over hydraulic with a button for a brake pedal which works an air valve.

I got rid of my bx after 60000 miles in 30 months commuting. By then it had done over 200000. Only one fault in that time but that was the fault that killed it. The clutch pedal failed. On investigating the bracketry i discovered the broken welds .

On lifting the carpet i discovered the weld lines. 60000 miles in a cut and shut. It went to the scrappers in coventry  who took the v5.

it then reappeared  at the farm on the hill at napton, just down the road from us, i used to pass it and wonder how on earth it had got another mot.

11 hours ago, carlt said:

I also had BXs and loved them. 

My lottery car is the SM, oh and a DS for a runabout. 

So did I.

My last BX was a BX19 TZi Estate. A wolf in sheep's clothing, as it had the engine, close ratio gearbox and suspension (but not the wide wheels & tyres) from the GTi .

Rode almost as smoothly as a normal BX but didn't need the optional rubber door handles to corner quickly!

It did over 200,000 trouble free miles except for a minor incident where the differential's planetary gears escaped through the gearbox casing ?

17 minutes ago, cuthound said:

So did I.

My last BX was a BX19 TZi Estate. A wolf in sheep's clothing, as it had the engine, close ratio gearbox and suspension (but not the wide wheels & tyres) from the GTi .

Rode almost as smoothly as a normal BX but didn't need the optional rubber door handles to corner quickly!

It did over 200,000 trouble free miles except for a minor incident where the differential's planetary gears escaped through the gearbox casing ?

A known failure caused by poorly rolled steel from which the gears were cut, we had a few let go in various Citroen FWD gearboxes of the period. Used to weld up the casings, clean the oil out of the clutch and rebuild the diff.

Never had a recurrent failure so presumably it was just one  batch of planet wheels.

Did a lot of part cars years ago, but properly, engineer's report afterwards, by unstitching and reassembling on a jig.

We wouldn't have done your Citroen though, we used to do classy stuff like Jensens, Ferrari, Aston, Merc. Jaguars and sports cars, Stags, Honda "S" etc.

Never had any problems with them.

Now what was the topic again?

Mot afterwards is no problem, or wasn't then, if they are right.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

11 hours ago, bizzard said:

The brakes were air over hydraulic with a button for a brake pedal which works an air valve.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Took a bit of getting use to

Which is how my brother in law wrote off his SM. 

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I've been thinking for ages of adding an emergency engine stop knob using something akin to a choke cable to pull the lever in the event of a solenoid failure.  Has anyone who remembers choke cables sourced such a affair?

How about using one of these https://www.asap-supplies.com/steering-and-controls/engine-stop-cables-and-fittings/engine-stop-cables