Will I fit

Billy Boy

Featured Posts

Now fully retired we've decided to move our N/B to Sawley Marina and cruise that part of the country. Our beam is 6' 10" with straight sides plus anodes so the we are probably 7' 2" ish Chould there be any tight spots in locks on any of the routes from the south. TIA.

Anodes are generally placed on the "swims" where the bow narrows at the front, or angles in towards the prop at the rear.  They are much less common along the middle of the boat, but quite a lot 0f boats do have these as well.

Most modern barrow boat hull shapes (but not all) have sides that slope inwards towards the baseplate, so are several inches narrower at the baseplate than at the gunwales.  Generally any anodes along the mid part of the hull would be low down, so it may be that the boat is still under 6' 10" overall  evenwhen measured  over those anodes.

Most narrow locks (with a very few exceptions) will easily accommodate 7 feet anyway, rather than 6' 10".  Our two historic boats were both built to 7' 0.5" width, and the only lock we have been stuck in is well known for having reduced width because of movement of the lock walls.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Anodes are generally placed on the "swims" where the bow narrows at the front, or angles in towards the prop at the rear.  They are much less common along the middle of the boat, but quite a lot 0f boats do have these as well.

It seems that surveyors have decided that this years focus action point is to recommend at least 2 anodes along the sides of every boat they survey.!!

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

It seems that surveyors have decided that this years focus action point is to recommend at least 2 anodes along the sides of every boat they survey.!!

I wonder what the actual survival rate is for anodes added that protrude from the sides of a hull.

I'd not wish to have them, certainly.

Thanks Alan, we have three anodes down each side and the sides are not under cut at baseplate so it all counts were not due out of water yet so I don't want the expense of crane just to grind them off because I will have to black as well ( as a matter of corse ) so just inquiring about widths.

We had an extra anode fitted midway down each side when the boat was blacked last year. They used some super-thin ones, about 1cm only, which sit well within the overlapping lip of the baseplate. Even so, they occasionally knock against something as we enter the top end of a lock. 

35 minutes ago, Billy Boy said:

Now fully retired we've decided to move our N/B to Sawley Marina and cruise that part of the country. Our beam is 6' 10" with straight sides plus anodes so the we are probably 7' 2" ish Chould there be any tight spots in locks on any of the routes from the south. TIA.

You will have no problem.

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Thanks I will decide which route when I get closer to split, I'd like to do the sour but the weather may change my mind. 

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just now, Billy Boy said:

Thanks I will decide which route when I get closer to split, I'd like to do the sour but the weather may change my mind. 

Soar is lovely. For what its worth my present boat is a modernish build bog standard colecraft. The usual 6 feet 10 inches. We also have anodes front and rear and midships either side protruding wider then the rubbing strakes. We rattle around in all the locks you need to go through with room to spare.

1 hour ago, Billy Boy said:

I've had anodes mid way along the hull of my 23 year old boat from new. Never had a problem. Don't claim to know which of the locks I've been through are considered 'narrow' but i've been up 'norf' a number of times. I do make sure the anodes are set as close to the hull as possible

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I wonder what the actual survival rate is for anodes added that protrude from the sides of a hull.

I'd not wish to have them, certainly.

Co-incidence this, yesterday I spotted someone's anode lying on the stone cill  at Ashton Canal lock 11. Not a particularly narrow lock so I wonder if it was mid hull with poor welding? It looked to be fairly new, still there if anyone needs a spare?

3 hours ago, billh said:

Co-incidence this, yesterday I spotted someone's anode lying on the stone cill  at Ashton Canal lock 11. Not a particularly narrow lock so I wonder if it was mid hull with poor welding? It looked to be fairly new, still there if anyone needs a spare?

I take it the magnet fishing wasn't too good on the magnesium!