Charging 'beep'

Featured Posts

Hello. I have an issue.

With the engine running at low revs and the battery monitor showing 3.8 - 4.1 ish, indicating that the batteries are 'getting near' the charging beeper starts to beep as if there's not enough revs on to trigger the alternator to charge. This has only just started in the last few days.  With the revs up and the batteries needing 'food' there's no beeping.

I have a victron 702. Could it be that I need to reset the settings? I have a starter and a bank of 4 x 110 amp hr batteries, fifteen months old. We live aboard and very very rarely go in shore power. This happens when cruising and going into neutral at locks etc. Not all the time but most of the time once the batteries have had their fill.

Ideas and advice please. 

Are you sure it is the charging "beeper"? If you don't have an oil pressure gauge I would suspect its a low oil pressure warning but the most likely reason is a faulty oil pressure switch.

Which warning lamps come on or glow when this happens cup, your hand around them.

Does the beep come from the instrument panel or the Victron? If the former it could be a no charge warning, low oil pressure, or overheating. In the latter case I would still suspect the sender without any other symptoms.

Charging voltage is no real indication of the batteries getting near to fully charged. Use the BVM to measure tail current. The voltage just tells you we the alternator regulator has stated to work, that is probably several hours before the batteries are charged.

Edited by Tony Brooks

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you sure it is the charging "beeper"? If you don't have an oil pressure gauge I would suspect its a low oil pressure warning but the most likely reason is a faulty oil pressure switch.

Which warning lamps come on or glow when this happens cup, your hand around them.

Does the beep come from the instrument panel or the Victron? If the former it could be a no charge warning, low oil pressure, or overheating. In the latter case I would still suspect the sender without any other symptoms.

Charging voltage is no real indication of the batteries getting near to fully charged. Use the BVM to measure tail current. The voltage just tells you we the alternator regulator has stated to work, that is probably several hours before the batteries are charged.

That would be my bet as well. I wondered what the 3.8 is referring to

The 3.8 is the current going in. It does go lower than that after a long days cruise. 

However, I have checked the oil and it was lower than it should have been, but not very low. Which is good. After many years of motoring the cars I ran could easily almost run out of oil, no indication on the dipstick before I got me backside in gear to check it. I do check oil and water on the boat fairly regularly and it's the oil that never needs topping up. Water is a different matter. About a pint now and then. Just like me.

Thanks for the nudge towards oil, I would never have thought that even after owning a boat for 17+ years. 

I'm not the best maintainer. Don't hate me.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I probably will be nothing to do with oil level, do as Tony says and cup your hand around the oil light to see if it flickers with the bleep

I think it was a "beep" - bringing a "bleep" in at this stage is only going to cause further confusion.

:giggles:

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

20 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The lithium battery thread

Its simples monkey. Don't overcharge em,don't under charge em. Don't charge em when its cold. And WotEver you do DON'T INSTALL THEM UNDER YOUR BED.......The Lithium salts disperse in the atmosphere when it gets dark, leading to hallucinogenic dreams.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its simples monkey. Don't overcharge em,don't under charge em. Don't charge em when its cold. And WotEver you do DON'T INSTALL THEM UNDER YOUR BED.

Do a complete rewire, save up for eight years to buy em, change yer alternators, have a big fire extinguisher handy.....................proper fit and forget kit :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Do a complete rewire, save up for eight years to buy em, change yer alternators, have a big fire extinguisher handy.....................proper fit and forget kit :D

Yeah, but apart from that.......its simples!

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The Volt is not the correct unit to use to quantify confusion. I'm not sure what is, but I think in might be the "Eh".

No need for the h because an Erlang is the number of telephone calls handled by a switch (exchange) in an hour. ?