The Epic Duck Noodle Adventure Begins.....

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

You’d probably wreck them on the shoal that’s mid channel before the first lock, it’s been building up from the by-wash for years. Would NC fit through the regular arched bridges?

We convinced some friends from Sheffield to have a run up to the first winding hole at Walkeringham in their fat narrowboat, that was over 10 years ago and I don’t think anything wide has done it since. It’s hard to believe now that it was built wide to Retford.

Yes. With the arch folded down she will fit under the bridges easily. 

Cant remember which bridge it is but one of them looks to narrow the navigation quite considerably.

11 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes. With the arch folded down she will fit under the bridges easily. 

Cant remember which bridge it is but one of them looks to narrow the navigation quite considerably.

Yes that’s Manor Bridge just after the winding hole. It was rebuilt narrower to increase the weight capacity it can carry to Manor Farm. It’s around 9’ I think, a bit crap when officially it’s 14’ to Retford. 

14 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Wouldn't be fair to revise the guess but it won't be long before I'm out!

I'm already out, but I agree it is cheating to change your guess.

My wallet is sat in a corner whimpering as I promised to make an extra donation per boat to the Chesterfield Canal Trust.  Let's just say if I catch up with Carrie~Noodle before this weekend I'll save a few quid!

On 20/05/2019 at 08:56, noddyboater said:

You’d probably wreck them on the shoal that’s mid channel before the first lock, it’s been building up from the by-wash for years. Would NC fit through the regular arched bridges?

We convinced some friends from Sheffield to have a run up to the first winding hole at Walkeringham in their fat narrowboat, that was over 10 years ago and I don’t think anything wide has done it since. It’s hard to believe now that it was built wide to Retford.

The Great and Good of Retford always fancied the river traffic (and wealth associated with it) arriving in their town and so paid a handsome amount for this stretch of the canal to be built as a wide canal. Of course the original bridges  from 1777 were probably wooden structures that have long since gone and as the river traffic never did come to Retford the replacement brick and stone bridges were never built to accommodate wide boats. 

Our historian tells me he is not aware of any wide boats ever reaching Retford. 

What dimensions are your friends fat narrowboat? 

5 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

..........................and never mind the noodles - has anyone seen the duck recently?

Spotted in Shardlow:

60548371_10157083892764070_1324763455357

Thats a Fake!!!

On 20/05/2019 at 08:56, noddyboater said:

Would that be Richard and Simon? on the green and grey zebra boat? [it would have been green and rust then]

On 21/05/2019 at 09:09, cheshire~rose said:

The Great and Good of Retford always fancied the river traffic (and wealth associated with it) arriving in their town and so paid a handsome amount for this stretch of the canal to be built as a wide canal. Of course the original bridges  from 1777 were probably wooden structures that have long since gone and as the river traffic never did come to Retford the replacement brick and stone bridges were never built to accommodate wide boats. 

Our historian tells me he is not aware of any wide boats ever reaching Retford. 

What dimensions are your friends fat narrowboat? 

There’s an entry in Christine Richardson’s Archive that mentions “George Moat of Clarborough” who’s a coal merchant and selling a boat that is 53’ by 12’7”.  There’s no place of mooring stated but I assumed Clarborough. 

I believe our friends fat boat is 57’ x 12’ but Peter Boat will confirm this as yes, it was Richard and Simon in their early boating days. 

23 hours ago, peterboat said:

Would that be Richard and Simon? on the green and grey zebra boat? [it would have been green and rust then]

21 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

There’s an entry in Christine Richardson’s Archive that mentions “George Moat of Clarborough” who’s a coal merchant and selling a boat that is 53’ by 12’7”.  There’s no place of mooring stated but I assumed Clarborough. 

I believe our friends fat boat is 57’ x 12’ but Peter Boat will confirm this as yes, it was Richard and Simon in their early boating days. 

Ha ha its a 57 x 10 they told me they had gone up there, my mate Keith disbelieved it was possible but I have seen pictures so it happened!!

On 21/05/2019 at 09:09, cheshire~rose said:

Auntie Waitrose.

I understand you are about to participate in the BCN Challenge .......and so a wild guess you will be in the environs of Brum over the weekend.

I further understand you are planning to transfer the duck pot noodle to the Biscuits during said Challenge.

Further to this, I met with said Busciuts earlier today and he explained the great expense I caused him in last December's auction which resulted in him bidding on said noodles.

It strikes me that it would be a retrograde step in giving the pot noodles back to 'Good Times' this weekend and an extention to the pot noodles travels would be beneficial for four reasons.

1) It would cost The Biscuits far more.

2) The Chesterfield canal trust would get far more money

3) More chance of my guess of 103 being right.

4) I could get my duck back (the biscuits has kidnapped him).

If our paths cross over the weekend, you could transfer the pot noodles to us, we could promise to deliver the duck back to the Biscuits in return for the duck and try and find some botes that will be going in his direction after the challenge. We will be going up the mainline from the centre tomorrow then south through the Netherton tunnel, parking for a couple of nights at the south end. If you are not going that way then I am sure others will be.

I reckon there is at least another 6 months for this thread to run before the next auction.

On 22/05/2019 at 10:46, Nightwatch said:

Are the oodles of noodles on Carrie Lou at present? It they are they have just passed Nightwatch at Fradley Junction. 

Yes they were and yes we saw the boat and wondered but I have just realised the forum is no longer emailing me when people reply so I must check my settings 

We have had nowhere near as much success as we hoped with the relay, the main reason is I have been a stickler for the rules (where there any?) 

I refuse to allow the noodle to travel in the opposite direction by boat and I refuse to record a boat as taken part unless it actually moved in the right direction with the noodles on board. That means I really needed to come across a few queues for locks so the noodle could systematically travel to and through the lock on every boat in the queue. There have simply been no queues!

Anyway we managed to sneak a few more willing carriers in:

The good people on Jacaranda carried it through some locks yesterday - I think it might have been Curdworth?

61268275_10157092344914070_8019177861208

We had been moored up with the folks on Blue Nun the previous night and they had been aware of the noodle but as we were setting off at different times and places to do the BCN Challenge we decided it best not to leave the noodle with them - however - they overtook us when we stopped for supplies and then we caught them up on the Waterpoint so they took the noodle through the lock for us

61162358_10157092344729070_1540005466518

Then on to Star City to overnight ready for The BCN Challenge.

We met Dave on Misbourne No 3 who agreed to take the noodle into the challenge today 

60830954_10157092344624070_1505013161072

Run free sweet little noodle - it has been a pleasure to have you as company on our journey and we have met a lot of lovely people who we might otherwise have had little excuse to talk to - they all think I need to take more meds of course but hey!

But - in a final twist before I lost sight of Misbourne No3 Barney came into play:

60959911_10157092447344070_4953417277471

Barney was last spotted at the start point on Misbourne No 3. 

Could the noodle and Barney be connected in any way? 

If you get to meet Barney  or the Noodle during the BCN Challenge and you want to prolong the relay make sure you do not pass it on to Good Times (yet) 

6 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Yes they were and yes we saw the boat and wondered but I have just realised the forum is no longer emailing me when people reply so I must check my settings 

Same problem with email notifications here as well. I have asked @RichMto see if he can sort it.

Its not just me then!

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Oh No! 

We have just had Barney passed back to us and there are no noodles!

I think the Noodles are on board Joy? 

Hunt the noodle! 

Maybe the duck ate them?

If so he will need to.be renamed Hanibal. ?

The Noodle was finally delivered last night.

I would like to say The Biscuits was really happy about receiving his noodle but he told me he has tried one before and doesn't like them very much so we were unsure what he might do with such a famous and well traveled noodle

He certainly doesn't look too happy in the presentation photo but perhaps The Duck is nagging in his ear about not being into bondage?

61176611_10157097242749070_8019040701427

Then some beer was consumed and little Bob (aged 2) wanted to play with The Duck but The Duck didn't want to be played with and so Little Bob decided to play with a noodle and in the swiftest moment you could ever comprehend little Bob had whipped off the top of the noodle and tipped the contents on the picnic bench 

61174026_10157099323599070_5454563626461

61056563_10157099323904070_3536774348415

We threw some noodles to a pigeon that came close by and it promptly flew off never to be seen again! 

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Remember that competition for how many boats carried The Noodle? 

Well that has been a right horror to judge and there has been a lot of contention about it but I have made a decision and my decision is FINAL! 

The list of boats that carried the noodle is as follows: 

1. Python 
  2. Dingo
  3. Lady June
  4. Carrie~Lou 
  5. Joamela
  6. Hekla
  7. Livi Mae
  8. House Martin
  9. Daydream
  10.  Jacaranda
  11. Blue Nun
  12. Misbourne No. 3
  13.  Joy

Then there is a bit of a question mark because we are unsure how the noodle ended up at back at BCN Challenge HQ or if any other boats were involved. There is also a query as to whether Richard Parry should be counted or not? The noodle definitly moved with him and it was in the direction of The Bicuits boat but he is not a boat. The fact that he probably controls the largest inland fleet of boats in the country might have some bearing though? 

Then there was a stewards enquiry when it was pointed out that in ALL competitions it is not considered good form for the organiser to take part and so perhaps carrying the noodle on Carrie~Lou can't be counted? 

The guesses are as follows: 

3 The Biscuits

7 Rusty 69

9 Bilge Pump 

11 Naughty Cal

12½ Dr Bob (or 102)

13 Athy 

16 Keeping Up

17 Lady G

21 Jerra

42 Yellowback

948 Kiwidad

At first glance that makes @Athy the winner but as I was so heavily lobbied to disallow Carrie~Lou and Dr Bob was trying so hard to keep the noodle game going (To try and cost The Biscuits more money) I think it is only right and proper that @Dr Bob is declared the winner ..........................so I have left the noodles with @The Biscuits to hand to him.

Now there is an opportunity for Dr Bob to get The Biscuits to extend the noodle game by setting a challenge to see how many boats they travel on before reaching Dr Bob ?

I think The Biscuits might have been trying to limit the amount he had to pay out so while he never actually suggested what the figure per boat he was going to donate was going to be it does make me wonder if we should opt for the 102 x donation from him even though the 12 ½ was the winning figure :) 

Oh and just so there are no hard feelings I will stump up and buy another noodle for Athy  :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

I think The Biscuits might have been trying to limit the amount he had to pay out so while he never actually suggested what the figure per boat he was going to donate was going to be it does make me wonder if we should opt for the 102 x donation from him even though the 12 ½ was the winning figure :) 

You might end up with £1.02 instead of £12.50 if you insist on that ...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

At first glance that makes @Athy the winner but as I was so heavily lobbied to disallow Carrie~Lou and Dr Bob was trying so hard to keep the noodle game going (To try and cost The Biscuits more money) I think it is only right and proper that @Dr Bob is declared the winner ..........................so I have left the noodles with @The Biscuits to hand to him.

Now there is an opportunity for Dr Bob to get The Biscuits to extend the noodle game by setting a challenge to see how many boats they travel on before reaching Dr Bob ?

I dont want any noodles! I just want my bloomin' duck back!

I dont know. Kidnapped by the Biscuits and then he (the duck) goes and wins the challenge for them. He is a very valuable duck.

Oh, ok then.  In the interests of keeping everyone happy we will rise to another challenge and make a donation to Auntie Waitrose's canal trust of £1.00 for every bote the noodle packet travels on (I assume it is now empty with little Bob having fed the duck with contents of said package) on its way back to Kharis. I will leave it to Auntie Waitrose to organise the log of which bote it goes on and another round of guesses. Not a clue where we are at the moment as the duck does all our map reading. I know we are a bit left of Brum and pointed north.

.....and to Athy. Bad luck Mike. I'm not sure the best man won!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1