The Epic Duck Noodle Adventure Begins.....

Featured Posts

I am definitely not a duck, M'Lord (or is that Mallard?). There is ONLY ONE Keeping Up, which is me unless you count Keeping Up Too but they aren't on the forum and anyway that got sold to someone whose name isn't Jones which is disgraceful they should be forced to change it, wouldn't have been allowed in my day harrumph! 

Be careful in cold weather, I once made a Pot Noodle on a very very cold day, left it on the roof of the boat while I set the next lock which took a while because of the ice, when I got back it was a Pot Noodle ice lolly with the teaspoon as a stick.

I guess 17 unless somebody else already has. 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I am definitely not a duck, M'Lord (or is that Mallard?). There is ONLY ONE Keeping Up, which is me unless you count Keeping Up Too but they aren't on the forum and anyway that got sold to someone whose name isn't Jones which is disgraceful they should be forced to change it, wouldn't have been allowed in my day harrumph! 

Be careful in cold weather, I once made a Pot Noodle on a very very cold day, left it on the roof of the boat while I set the next lock which took a while because of the ice, when I got back it was a Pot Noodle ice lolly with the teaspoon as a stick.

Quack!

21 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Sorry Lady G has already guessed 17 - do you want to try again?

Here is the current guess list:

3 The Biscuits

7 Rusty 69

9 Bilge Pump 

11 Naughty Cal

12½ Dr Bob (or 102)

13 Athy 

17 Lady G

42 Yellowback

948 Kiwidad

This takes us up to post 51. I will update the list periodically as may be needed 

There are a lot of people who have contributed to this thread who have not yet had a guess - why not? You could have a pot noodle! 

Now for a Noodle News Flash:

It has been a varied weekend. The noodles did not travel very far and have yet to swap to a different boat (This is The Chesterfield Canal, we have not passed another moving boat yet) 

On Saturday an amazing team joined us for a spring clean session using Python to recover waterbourne litter from the canal before the reeds start to grow up and conceal it all:

54278918_2179467582076675_89011622545740

Python is perfect for this type of work because with the cloths down it is easy to reach the water using litter pickers but being a deep draughted boat makes her quite stable sp we don't have to shift the movable ballast (volunteers) around too much to prevent the boat heeling over. 

One of the volunteers, Julia, brought cake:

54437493_2179468325409934_32547914145123

It was absolutely delicious.  Julia can come again, except she can't because she booked a day's holiday to join us and she has no holiday left to come again. 

The sun shone and everyone had a really good day. We shifted a lot of rubbish, removed 4 fishing lures from offside vegetation and removed two syringes to the sharps bin. 

All the rubbish was sorted so much of it can be recycled 

This was the team enjoying lunch:

54521857_2179162138773886_37008993123817

We left Python in the lock for lunch - this is what you can do on The Chesterfield canal ... as I say no moving boats have passed us yet 

Then on Sunday we had a different sort of a day. 

The team who look after Dawn Rose, The Chesterfield Boat: http://www.chesterfield-canal-trust.org.uk/on-the-water/new-dawn/ have identified a horse that they think might be right to pull their boat but, before they can get insurance to pull their boat on the towpath they need to do trials for insurance purposes. Bringing an un-powered boat down the canal to the paddock where the horse was takes a lot of effort so it was decided to get the horse to pull Python instead. 

There was an added advantage that, with Python having an engine, should things not go to plan for any reason we could slip into reverse and put the brakes on. 

We had a short trip from The Lock Keeper down to Manton and a brand new volunteer came to join us for the trip. 

It wasn't long before she was getting a feel for the helm. Please excuse the dodgy horizon on the photo, The Straddle Warehouse in Worksop isn't really falling down! 

55541937_2180460181977415_12253846638166

Then we got to Manton and met Charlie:

54520990_2180499911973442_38737881227560

He is a stunner! 

He is also a strong horse

55485910_2181117621911671_72870083352183

I know nothing about horses and probably less about horse boating but everyone seemed very happy with the way it all went so fingers crossed for them that it works out with Charlie 

On the trip downgate we got jammed on an underwater obstruction under the bridge at Bracebridge Lock. We rolled over the top of it and as we has already been delayed clearing a huge build up of reeds and rubbish from the head of the lock before we could open the paddles we decided to carry on and investigate the cause on our return. Our return required a very long reverse including through a lock to reach a winding hole. 

We picked up what looked like a patio furniture cover on the prop that took quite some time to clear: 

54514650_2180580675298699_62358135390391

Then on to Bracebridge where the obstruction turned out to be a shopping trolley, the basket was adrift from the wheels after it's close encounter with Python's base-plate, The grappling hooks also found a base block from Heras fencing so we loaded it all on board with 6 bags of rubbish segregated from the reeds at the head of the lock and popped another syringe in the sharps bin 

55533123_2180709058619194_28665468450630

It turned out to be a very varied and interesting days boating. Just the sort that gives a new volunteer a good taster of just how varied volunteering with Python can be. 

Shirley thoroughly enjoyed her day with us and volunteered to pose with the noodle in Python's cabin for you so you know the noodle is still safe, even though it returned to The Lock Keeper and won't move again until Tuesday 

54518235_10156948161774070_6392076616909

Here is the current guess list now updated to include Keeping Up's guess 

3 The Biscuits

7 Rusty 69

9 Bilge Pump 

11 Naughty Cal

12½ Dr Bob (or 102)

13 Athy 

16 Keeping Up

17 Lady G

42 Yellowback

948 Kiwidad

• Greenie 1

The Noodles moved again today!

Unexpectedly!

It seems someone got bored last night and decided to untie the boats. A supporter spotted the problem and alerted me at 8:30am so I could get someone in the area down there to get things sorted. That bow looks horribly close to the window on the other boat............... thankfully no damage done and the noodles are safe!

Perhaps I need to have a chat with the other boat owners to see if they will carry the noodles for us for a while :)

55547035_1271726682975545_5923245829488902144_n.jpg

Have the noodles been nobbled? 

Is biscuit crackers? 

Is Cheshire Rose a shrinking violet? 

Tune in next week folks for another thrilling episode of....... "The curse of the epic duck noodle adventure"

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Have the noodles been nobbled? 

Is biscuit crackers? 

Is Cheshire Rose a shrinking violet? 

Tune in next week folks for another thrilling episode of....... "The curse of the epic duck noodle adventure"

The continuing stooooooory of a..........

Oh no, that's the other thread.

• Haha 1

Eek,

between the logistics of getting an assortment of volunteers to the right place at the right time and trying to find where we packed the spare pillows when we moved house last year for family that stayed last night and random procedures at hospital and .............

I will get an update with the noodles tomorrow!

I promise ... in the meantime I can assure you that no noodles were hurt during this filming:

• 2 weeks later...

I have not posted for far too long, I am sorry!

On 30th of March the noodles continued their tour of The Chesterfield Canal as far as Retford.

They travelled through this beautiful landscape:

55635102_2191499287540171_11390574446646

with this great bunch of people:

55704767_2191499190873514_54819400701286 who litter picked all along the

They litter picked along the way and are shown here in Retford at Town Lock

If you look VERY closely at that last photo - the chap with the flat cap in the centre of the group is modelling something very special:

Here is a closer view:

56426961_2191499424206824_36200709956934

The noodles didn't get eaten because one of the volunteers (Bigray of this parish) made these the night before:

56162433_2191499367540163_44766851160258

Well done Auntie W.

Which way is it traveling. I fear you are moving further away from us each Day.....more in Rusty's direction.....but then you're not going to hear from him as this thread is not in the virtual pub, so the posts count and he is about to reach 100,000.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well done Auntie W.

Which way is it traveling. I fear you are moving further away from us each Day.....more in Rusty's direction.....but then you're not going to hear from him as this thread is not in the virtual pub, so the posts count and he is about to reach 100,000.

Tsk

You are very obviously not familiar with The Chessie - in order to get ANYWHERE else on the canal network by boat the noodles have to leave The Chesterfield Canal at West Stockwith and take a trip on the tidal Trent. The noodles are heading gradually eastwards towars West Stockwith.

This was taken on the next day and the noodles are safely tucked away in that cabin out of the reach of Jamie, our youngest crew member who was doing a grand job of wielding a 6' litter picker and making tea and generally being a star volunteer.

56189894_2192535274103239_21572512282648

The noodles have now switched to a new boat but I don't have photographic evidence for that yet, they were last seen heading towards said boat using an alternative method of transport. This photo was taken at Clayworth where Python is currently getting some springtime TLC :

56544612_10156979647799070_3949313477683

But never fear because they were heading around 2/3rds of a mile west, upstream again to join the other boat so a bit of a backtrack rather than cheating by travelling by bike.

The chap who owns the boat is camera shy so he may get his lovely lady friend to pose for the photo of the noodles with his boat when they move off the mooring.

He was busy at the time the photo of his classic bike was taken though - we have taken the floor out of the hold on Python, and the ballast, to get some more protection on that new base plate:

56268524_2198394960183937_91279177201410

He will moan at me because he had not brushed his hair in that photo!

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well done Auntie W.

Does this mean we have successfully gagged Rusty?

On 24/03/2019 at 20:51, cheshire~rose said:

Here is the current guess list :

3 The Biscuits

7 Rusty 69

9 Bilge Pump 

11 Naughty Cal

12½ Dr Bob (or 102)

13 Athy 

16 Keeping Up

17 Lady G

42 Yellowback

948 Kiwidad

No more guesses?

We are about to exceed The Biscuits guess (which I believe was wishful thinking)

54 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Does this mean we have successfully gagged Rusty?

Yes, the poor old man gal is well and truly snookered. We can say anything we like about him her and he won't respond here.

Edited by Dr Bob

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I've only seen evidence of Python so far ...

Oh yes, I suppose in my head I was already counting our own boat which will take part at some opportune point

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, the poor old man gal is well and truly snookered. We can say anything we like about him and he won't respond here.

Anything? ?

• Haha 1