The Epic Duck Noodle Adventure Begins.....

Featured Posts

Cast your mind back to November 2018 and some of you may remember that I somehow managed to sell a duck pot noodle to The Biscuits for £23?

The thread is here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/99045-auntie-wainwrights-fundraising-auction-2018/

He then posted this comment:

Right, I'm OUTRAGED!!  Auntie Rainwater has suggested that I buy my self a clone of the *actual* duck noodles from a local shop to save on postage!

As I'm too much of a cheapskate skint to pay Royal Mail to deliver them after spending all that money on a sofa collection, I'm wondering if we should abuse rely on the good nature of the worst carrier service in the UK - the CWDF slowboat delivery.

So ... is anyone intending to boat between wherever the duck noodles are hiding and Oop North before the best before date expires?

I want them delivering to the top lock at Johnson's Hillock locks (L&L) before February/March next year, or somewhere between Liverpool and Sharpness after that.

I will consider making an extra donation to the trust for each boat this particular pot of noodles travel on, but would want to see photographic proof of the hoisin handovers. 

I'm not saying how much I will donate per boat as you lot would just pass them round a marina with a camera out!

I'm also starting to suspect I should demand extra photographs of the identifying marks on the noodle tub, to avoid fowl play.

Any takers?

.....and so the journey has begun....

Yesterday said pot noodle was loaded into the cargo hold of NB Python at Shireoaks Marina on The Chesterfield Canal to begin it's journey out onto the system in the hope we might be able to get the good boaters to CWDF to join in along the route and take this very precious bit of cargo a short distance on their boat.

The more people who are willing to share the delivery of the pot noodle, the more the easily outraged The Biscuits will have to dig deep to pay. The noodles will travel down The Chesterfield Canal and out onto the Trent heading to Nottingham and into the heart of the canal system. The Biscuits is already a bit of a moving target to aim for to achieve delivery and so the itiniary of The Epic Noodle Adventure is flexible but we need to be generally getting the noodles to travel in a South Westerly direction.

How many boats will we use?  ..... and, probably more importantly, how many of them will be willing to provide photographic evidence of being part of the mission!

To add a truly exciting edge to this Epic Adventure I am going to throw in a prize of a second Duck Pot Noodle to the person who correctly guesses how many boats will be recorded as part of the Epic Noodle Adventure. The rule for this part of the competition is that you must post on this thread your best estimate of how many boats will be involved and you must have posted your final answer before the Noodles arrive at Fradley Junction. You can only have one guess and the winner will be the person giving the number of boats closest to the final total without going over.

No two people can guess the same number (unless they are willing to share the pot noodle if they win!)

Here is our first piece of boaty evidence:

55533122_10156941469919070_9102359477864

For those of you who want to be certain what it is he has in his hand here is a close up - the best I could do on my phone without getting wet feet:

54419799_10156941470009070_6351385306473

Now, my mission today is to ensure the 15 volunteers coming to carry out a spring clean on Python do not:

• Get peckish and eat it
  • Deem it to be rubbish and throw it away

We only have a short hop into Worksop today but I won't be around to do much responding on here.

Over to the good people of this parish, are we likely to encounter you along the route and would you be willing to carry the noodle for part of the journey?

If not do you want to have a guess at how many boats we will total to get the noodle delivered.....

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic idea, although not sure how far it goes to promote the efficiency of the canals for moving non-perishable freight. Afraid my boat is out of water and north of you so no use but I'll throw in a guess of nine, hoping it's more (sorry The Biscuits). 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Fantastic idea, although not sure how far it goes to promote the efficiency of the canals for moving non-perishable freight. Afraid my boat is out of water and north of you so no use but I'll throw in a guess of nine, hoping it's more (sorry The Biscuits). 

It is the efficiency of the members of this forum to transport non-perishable freight that is what is being promoted here I feel.

along with an excuse for what I hope will be a jolly good excuse for some fun in boats through the summer.

7 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

It is the efficiency of the members of this forum to transport non-perishable freight that is what is being promoted here I feel.

along with an excuse for what I hope will be a jolly good excuse for some fun in boats through the summer.

I see The Biscuits has already thought of how 'efficient' the forum can be with visions of the noodles being passed round the marina or cloned packs on their travels. Love it, a bit of jolly good fun that highlights how moving things can be managed in the boating community. I can't imagine a group of motorists easily organising passing and swapping an item to get it down through the country, throw it through the window belting down the M1? I'll enjoy following the noodles' adventures en route.

• Greenie 1

It sounds like a goon show script to me.....

"The curse of the epic duck noodle adventure"

Starring

Auntie rosewater  as Neddie Seagoon. 

The biscuits as Eccles(should be The cake) 

Rusty as Bluebottle. 

My guess, Seven

ETA, i highlighted my guess in bold, to, well highlight it. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Over to the good people of this parish, are we likely to encounter you along the route and would you be willing to carry the noodle for part of the journey?

I'm willing to carry them for a bit, but it would seem pointless to pass them on to another boat afterwards!

• Haha 1

12 and a half.

Keep us posted on locations. 

Im sure our duck would like to have a nibble.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

It sounds like a goon show script to me.....

"The curse of the epic duck noodle adventure"

Starring

Auntie rosewater  as Neddie Seagoon. 

The biscuits as Eccles(should be The cake) 

Rusty as Bluebottle. 

My guess, Seven

ETA, i highlighted my guess in bold, to, well highlight it. 

Can we have Seven of Nine in it too?

Just now, Dr Bob said:

12 and a half.

So it was your duck that ate sir Nibble, not Tumshie! 

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

12 and a half.

Only if Alan can find a picture. 

Auntie Waitrose,

Can you be a bit more specific about what is meant by different boats delivering the item? What constitutes a 'boat'? Now I know boats are floaty things that sit rusting in the canals, but how are you counting them? To qualify does a boat have to move with said item? Does it have to engage in bonafide navigation? Can you define navigation? How many miles does it have to travel to be able to count? Can it start in one point and go round in a circle and come back to its original spot within 14 days. 

I feel this very important competition is open to large scale abuse via different interpretations of the rules. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Auntie Waitrose,

Can you be a bit more specific about what is meant by different boats delivering the item? What constitutes a 'boat'? Now I know boats are floaty things that sit rusting in the canals, but how are you counting them? To qualify does a boat have to move with said item? Does it have to engage in bonafide navigation? Can you define navigation? How many miles does it have to travel to be able to count? Can it start in one point and go round in a circle and come back to its original spot within 14 days. 

I feel this very important competition is open to large scale abuse via different interpretations of the rules. 

I was visualising a long line of moored boats and it being passed along with a photo at each   :D

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Can you be a bit more specific about what is meant by different boats delivering the item? What constitutes a 'boat'?

Things I consider a boat.  Canoes, rafts and catamarans count, floating a mop bucket and pretending it's a boat does not.

13 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Now I know boats are floaty things that sit rusting in the canals, but how are you counting them?

One hah hah, two hah hah  ...

22 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

To qualify does a boat have to move with said item? Does it have to engage in bonafide navigation?

Yes, and yes.

23 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Can you define navigation? How many miles does it have to travel to be able to count?

Yes thanks.  The boat has to move with the specific duck noodles on board.  There is no specific mileage requirement, but I would consider just going from your mooring to the service jetty 20 yards away would not be in the spirit of the game.

25 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Can it start in one point and go round in a circle and come back to its original spot within 14 days. 

I hope so - the easiest handover point is going to be at the end of the BCN marathon challenge, which by definition is going round in circles for 24 hours.

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I was visualising a long line of moored boats and it being passed along with a photo at each   :D

Me too, that's why I haven't said how much per boat I will donate!

• Haha 1

Nightwatch is about, in the next week or so, to disappear up the Erewash Canal. Once finished with that 'adventure/task we will return to the Trent Lock and join the Trent. Now we will have three options (or is it two), left, right or straight on. If Nightwatch and it's crew can be of any assistance please notify. If anything else, it may help with making the crew make a decision for once in their lives.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Nightwatch is about, in the next week or so, to disappear up the Erewash Canal. Once finished with that 'adventure/task we will return to the Trent Lock and join the Trent. Now we will have three options (or is it two), left, right or straight on. If Nightwatch and it's crew can be of any assistance please notify. If anything else, it may help with making the crew make a decision for once in their lives.

Turn left and go oop norrf ont Trent. Fab.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

12 and a half.

Seven of nine ? Ohhhhhhhhh yes please sir!!