gas leak faulty regulator?

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

Came back to boat after many weeks away, turn on gas all OK a few hours later bottle empty, go and buy new, connect and turn on, 24 hours later bottle empty. Spend morning searching for leaks and eventually find a hole hidden under the regulator which when soapy water is applied starts blowing large bubbles so presumably this is the cause.

I expect it will need a new regulator but this may be tricky matching in Belgium I think the pipework may be 3/8" is there a metric direct equivalent?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what he hole is there for? is there supposed to be a plug or something to block it, is it fixable (if only temporarily.

Help please!

I have attached 2 photos the hole is indicated by my allen key pointing at it, it is a TP ACR7.

P1020727.JPG

P1020728.JPG

Until someone who knows the answer comes along ………………………...

I was always told it was an overpressure relief and once it has 'blown out' it remain open and needs replacing.

Presumably you don't keep a 'standard' screw directly into the cylinder' type as an emergency spare ?

New regulator required, not repairable, diaphragm will be holed.

Should not be a problem to get a replacement, all the threads in the regulator body  are BSP British Standard Pipe  and are the same used on the continong.

Edited by Boater Sam

OK thanks to both of you that sort of makes sense though I had always assumed that something happened with the little glass thing at the top that isnt in the photo to tell you it had blown,

Strange that a safety device just creates another safety issue

off now to see what is available locally.

P1020729.JPG

1 hour ago, Phoenix_V said:

Strange that a safety device just creates another safety issue

A leaking cylinder should not create a safety issue if it is correctly installed.

It is maybe a case of boaters using something that was not originally designed for boating.

The majority of users for LPG would not be trying to keep a cylinder in a 'gas tight' container (a boat), they would be used in vehicles and caravans where the gas can vent & escape down-and-out under the vehicle.

Then there are mobile-homes and rural domestic properties where the cylinders are kept 'outside' and again the escaping gas can vent and disperse in the air.

This is why it is crucial that your gas locker is gas-tight to at least the height of the regulator - except for the 'overboard drain vent' which must be clear ie. not have any sponges or bits of old ripe that can block the drain.

It frightens me to death when I see gas cylinders stood on the deck or in the well deck - that is death just awaiting the 'call'.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

If you just want a simple 'directly to the cylinder' regulator ..................…

If you want another 'switch-over' you may not find one quite as easily.

Belgium uses a variety of connection on their propane cylinders but the one you want is to fit a (Belgium cylinder refeference) "O1P", or a "P18"

These use the same "Internal thread POL" connector as the UK / Calor Gas Propane cylinders.

If you put your location into the attached - it will show you the nearest gas dealer.

https://www.antargaz.be/en/private/gas-in-cylinders/gas-cylinder-distributors

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 yes the locker did contain the gas afaik

2 have purchased a basic regulator which fits straight on the Belgian cylinders (I used an adapter before) and length of hose so now much simpler and less to go wrong.

3 should I try and get something with opso in due course - I am still not clear what the  benefit of this is, what is likely to have triggered it?