Karndean - anyone got experience of laying it?

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I've done vinyl click plank flooring in 2 rooms directly over chipboard sheet floor.  Good to lay, locks together well, water resistant, requires no fixings or glue, non slip, looks really good. However, these planks are plastic and therefore need a 5-10mm allowance for expansion in the home where the temperature varies by maybe 5 or 10 degrees max.  I'd like to do my boat and I think it would be perfect except that the temperature range there can easily be 25 degrees. I'm not convinced that it can accommodate that without unsightly expansion gaps around the edges - or something equally unsightly covering said gaps.  I hope someone knows better, cos my carpet will then be gone in a flash!

Presumably the glue down version doesn't expand at all? Can't see how it would work otherwise. Not saying it's a different product, just that if glued it''ll hold good.

Regarding expansion, the overall amount must be dependant on the total area - so if they specify 5-10mm that must be based on an "average" room size? "Rooms" on narrowboats (or even wb nb's) are smaller, so surely would experience less than average expansion? On the other hand - they do have wider temperature differences, so that would put us back where we started I guess. 

Still, easy enough to fit skirting over and hide the gap?

just  got this from Karndean website

"Karndean    LooseLay    must    be    fitted    ‘tight’;    check    that    room    edges    are    solid    and    all    thresholds    or    openings    are    edged    with    a    10cm    (4”)    strip    of    suitable    tackifier/    pressure    sensitive    adhesive.    The    tile/planks    must    be    fitted    ‘tightly’    to    the    wall and to themselves. If the floor area to be installed has any wall longer than 4m (13’) please treat the installation as    a    Grid    stick    installation"

I read that as no expansion gap

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

just  got this from Karndean website

"Karndean    LooseLay    must    be    fitted    ‘tight’;    check    that    room    edges    are    solid    and    all    thresholds    or    openings    are    edged    with    a    10cm    (4”)    strip    of    suitable    tackifier/    pressure    sensitive    adhesive.    The    tile/planks    must    be    fitted    ‘tightly’    to    the    wall and to themselves. If the floor area to be installed has any wall longer than 4m (13’) please treat the installation as    a    Grid    stick    installation"

I read that as no expansion gap

That seems reasonable - my instinct would be that you can get big temperature differences inside a boat because the top is subject to the changing heat from the sun but down at the floor we are at or below water so the actual temperature there will be pretty stable. 

Another flooring outfit recommended glueing down but said use Amtico not Karndean because they would use a glue that works outside from -30 to +30. Bit excessive even for a Nb! And made in UK unlike Karndean. 

Didn't happen to add that it’s more expensive though?

Edited by starman