Treating rust -steel boat.

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

My expertise is in high build steel coatings i.e. Direct to steel 2 pack epoxies etc. Topsides painting is a bit different as you build paint thickness via multiple coats. Paint thickness is wot you need to get best steel protection.

I always admire the grey paint finish on the many steel railway bridges over the cut. I rather doubt they muck about with vactan, primer, nine coats of undercoat, rubbing down between coats and all that, or do they Dr Bob?

Any idea what they use on railway bridges? They seem to paint them in a couple of weeks, every few decades... 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I always admire the grey paint finish on the many steel railway bridges over the cut. I rather doubt they muck about with vactan, primer, nine coats of undercoat, rubbing down between coats and all that, or do they Dr Bob?

Any idea what they use on railway bridges? They seem to paint them in a couple of weeks, every few decades... 

The Forth Rail Bridge used to be perpetual painting [ origin of a well known phrase or saying]  but they removed all the old traditional paint [helluva job], and put on modern coatings.

Technology.

On 21/03/2019 at 12:27, Dudette said:

Dear all,

A massive thank you to all that replied with good tips & advice!! :)Kind request- please do not post unrelated comments or You Tube links here- use Virtual Pub instead :(Thank you.

Gosh!

Edited by LadyG

41 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In the old days it was a coat of red lead then multiple coats of alkyd top coat.

The Forth Road bridge was painted in 2006-2010 using a high build glass filled epoxy. Grit blasted to SA2.5 and two coats.... airless sprayed on. We had the Project Manager racing with us on the Forth when we had our lumpy water boat there. As Lady G says, before that it was an ongoing job (with red lead and alkyd). Blasting all that lead off for the 2006 paint job was a big issue and all the blastings had to be collected to  be disposed of.

Dunno how they do the normal railway bridges. Suspect grit blast and 2 coats of 2pack epoxy.......it often made in grey for industrial jobs.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

In the old days it was a coat of red lead then multiple coats of alkyd top coat.

The Forth Road bridge was painted in 2006-2010 using a high build glass filled epoxy. Grit blasted to SA2.5 and two coats.... airless sprayed on. We had the Project Manager racing with us on the Forth when we had our lumpy water boat there. As Lady G says, before that it was an ongoing job (with red lead and alkyd). Blasting all that lead off for the 2006 paint job was a big issue and all the blastings had to be collected to  be disposed of.

Dunno how they do the normal railway bridges. Suspect grit blast and 2 coats of 2pack epoxy.......it often made in grey for industrial jobs.

This is how they use to do it 

• Greenie 1

On 14/04/2019 at 09:36, Mike the Boilerman said:

The grey paint is a micaceous iron oxide system which as I understand it until 30 years or so ago came in any colour as long as it was grey.

The systems are still similar put are 2 pack and now come in colours. The current network default is a very pleasing shade of deep green. A full paint system application will involve grit blasting and multiple coats. There are lesser specifications for maintenance painting.

JP

• Greenie 1