Fishing

Dunworkin

Featured Posts

Can anybody clarify the position on fishing from a boat and not on the towpath...? I’ve heard it said that as long as you are on the boat and not on the towpath then all you need is an EA Rod licence...? Not sure if this is correct....Can anyone confirm for def’ if I’d need a CRT wanderers permit / angling club permit in addition...? If so then that seems such a fuss for spending an hour fishing after finding a suitable mooring.....?

many thanks

You would be very unlucky to be challenged to buy a day ticket from my experience. Of course always have the EA Rod licence.

From what I have seen, most anglers now haunt commercials leaving the canals under-used.  You do get the odd match here and there.

I did a very brief on line webchat with CRT and the "person" said that as long as you are on the boat only then an EA license is all that you need.... Very confused now. How on earth do you get any other permit when you moor up for maybe one night and its nudging 5pm?

Will ring CRT and see what they say. 

21 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/places-to-fish/fishing-from-my-boat

so hang on, am I reading this right, that as well as the EA rod licence you need a Waterway Wanderers licence as well to fish any canal water that's not covered by a local fishing club? I never knew that

That is the way I read it but no doubt someone will have a different view!

that is often the way here.

Howard

Most evenings and some mornings  when boating I dangle a rod over the side. Always willing to purchase a day ticket. Never been asked. Never seen an EA bailiff either to show the EA licence to.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Most evenings and some mornings  when boating I dangle a rod over the side. Always willing to purchase a day ticket. Never been asked. Never seen an EA bailiff either to show the EA licence to.

That is probably the case for many people angling from their boats, but it not the answer to the OP's question which is, I believe, set out in CRT's rules which are on their web site.

Howard

Just in case anyone still thinks they don't need anything other than an EA rod licence to fish from their boat, here is the relevant CRT clarification. ..

Anyone wishing to angle from their moored craft or kayak needs to have a permit to do so. This permit will typically be

• A day or season membership of the controlling angling club
  • A Waterway Wanderers’ annual permit

We work with local angling clubs to manage the fishing rights on some of our canals, so you'll need to get your fishing permit from those clubs. See our fisheries list for the nearest club to you.

Many stretches are not rented to local clubs. For the stretches on this list you must have one of our Waterway Wanderers permitsbefore you fish. 

6 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Close to 6 years living on my boat. I fish regularly throughout the year, at least 4 times a week. Sometimes you'll see a sign on a bridge stating the angling rights belong to a club but that's about the extent of it, I've never been asked if I'm a club member or to buy a day ticket. Enjoy!

Do you think that the responde from CRT to ignoring their rules may be to say that those who do so are depriving CRT of income which is used to stock the waterways to allow anglers to enjoy their pastime? Crt get little enough from fishermen as it is without some anglers evading payment.

Howard

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

Do you think that the responde from CRT to ignoring their rules may be to say that those who do so are depriving CRT of income which is used to stock the waterways to allow anglers to enjoy their pastime? Crt get little enough from fishermen as it is without some anglers evading payment.

Howard

This ^^^^    At the very least those who don't buy the required permits/licences shouldn't ever complain about the angling pass time putting very little money into CRT's pocket.

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

Correct me if I'm wrong but CRT do not have the responsibility for stocking the canals with fish. That would fall on the shoulders of the Environment Agency, funded by anglers who buy rod licences. The reality though is that barring the occasional re stocking following a pollution incident the canals, like most rivers, are left to their own devices, are 'wild' fisheries.    

1 hour ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but CRT do not have the responsibility for stocking the canals with fish. That would fall on the shoulders of the Environment Agency, funded by anglers who buy rod licences. The reality though is that barring the occasional re stocking following a pollution incident the canals, like most rivers, are left to their own devices, are 'wild' fisheries.    

CRT spend money enabling fishing to take place, whether it is on fish or other items. Those anglers who don't contribute should.

Howard

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, howardang said:

CRT spend money enabling fishing to take place, whether it is on fish or other items. Those anglers who don't contribute should.

Howard

Even if CRT wasn't spending money on fishing it isn't really "on" to deprive an organisation of money and later criticise, as many fishing boaters do.

The CRT side is easy to take care of in advance....it’s the local angling permit that semantics to be the issue...moor up for one night...maybe later in the day...moving on the following day....how can you buy a local permit then...at least if I e got an EA license and a wanderers permit I’ve covered the CRT....

Semantics...?....seems...??

26 minutes ago, Dunworkin said:

The CRT side is easy to take care of in advance....it’s the local angling permit that semantics to be the issue...moor up for one night...maybe later in the day...moving on the following day....how can you buy a local permit then...at least if I e got an EA license and a wanderers permit I’ve covered the CRT....

Semantics...?....seems...??

It may be terribly old fashioned but if you find yourself in a position where you can't get the required permits there is a very easy solution.

Don't fish!

3 hours ago, howardang said:

Howard

Do they? Care to give some examples? I know that they perform fish rescues prior to doing works sometimes but that would be a moral obligation, rather than one carried out for the express benefit of anglers.

47 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Do they? Care to give some examples? I know that they perform fish rescues prior to doing works sometimes but that would be a moral obligation, rather than one carried out for the express benefit of anglers.

Rather than me setting down examples, there  is plenty of information on the CRT web site which shows what they do in relation to angling, so if you need to ask that question I suggest you have a look there. Your post suggests that you may think that CRT are not involved in either managing their fishery, or the angling activity which takes place on their waterways.  I am not here to defend them so let's just say that I think they do.

Howard

11 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Close to 6 years living on my boat. I fish regularly throughout the year, at least 4 times a week. Sometimes you'll see a sign on a bridge stating the angling rights belong to a club but that's about the extent of it, I've never been asked if I'm a club member or to buy a day ticket. Enjoy!

You're quite a heavy duty poacher really, aren't you. 

• Happy 2

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

It may be terribly old fashioned but if you find yourself in a position where you can't get the required permits there is a very easy solution.

Don't fish!

Many places advertise day tickets available on the bank but the bailiff is never seen to collect. Most of my local gu was like that before I left Cart waters. These are the same waters that as a kid every weekend the bailiff came round on his bike and took a shilling off us kids. Their web site says pay on bank.

Now on Wey the same largely applies. Never seen the Guildford bailiff who sells day tickets on the bank. Nor Wey Navigation Amalgamation bailiff who sells tickets too on the bank.

Edited by mark99

6 hours ago, howardang said:

Rather than me setting down examples, there  is plenty of information on the CRT web site which shows what they do in relation to angling, so if you need to ask that question I suggest you have a look there. Your post suggests that you may think that CRT are not involved in either managing their fishery, or the angling activity which takes place on their waterways.  I am not here to defend them so let's just say that I think they do.

Howard

Crt spend a load of cash on providing facilities/ services for the likes of cyclists, walkers, dog walkers. These groups are not expected to pay. Just because a system exists that charges some groups but not others, and has existed for some time, does not automatically mean the system is morally correct. I'll suggest CRT spend nothing on 'managing their fishery', other than having information on their website about it. Certainly, they haven't gone to the trouble of erecting signs on the waters to advertise that they own the fishing rights, and how folk may purchase permits. On the other hand, they spend a great deal on schemes that primarily benefit walkers and cyclists.