reCaptcha Arrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!

Featured Posts

Google reCaptcha has been introduced on the mobile version of CWDF, but fortunately not on the desktop version yet. Please don't. I spent a very frustrating never ending loop trying and failing to post on the mobile version before giving up. 

Utterly impossible. The mobile version is now unusable. 

Jen the robot. Meep Beep Trundle Exterminate. 

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Arrrrgghhhh. I hate craptcha. 

Why?

I really like it.  A neat and simple solution to the problem of bots signing up and posting their spam, properly implemented and tested!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why?

I really like it.  A neat and simple solution to the problem of bots signing up and posting their spam, properly implemented and tested!

Cos its like being at skool again. I never get it right first time, even using the sound option. It is even more challenging on a small screen.

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Arrrrgghhhh. I hate craptcha. 

I thought it was only asked for by new members though. If you log in, it doesn't ask. 

Didn't spot that. Thought I was logged in, but wasn't. Will double check in future.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why?

It is very American. Need to know what American streets, signs and urban areas look like. Been 15 years since I was last there. The audio version is even worse for me as I have trouble parsing American accents. 

Welcome back MtB! ?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Didn't spot that. Thought I was logged in, but wasn't. Will double check in future.

The new forum software appears to allow new members to sign up when they post by entering their e-mail. I suspect the craptcha thing came along at the same time.

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It is very American. Need to know what American streets, signs and urban areas look like. Been 15 years since I was last there. The audio version is even worse for me as I have trouble parsing American accents. 

Jen

Oh THAT sort of Captcha. Yes hate that.

I like the one where you have to put a tick in a box. I can manage that, just fine. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh THAT sort of Captcha. Yes hate that.

I like the one where you have to put a tick in a box. I can manage that, just fine. 

Its the ones where you have to pick out all the cars, or all the 3 legged cats, or all the clouds..............Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

The new forum software appears to allow new members to sign up when they post by entering their e-mail. I suspect the craptcha thing came along at the same time.

Didn't realise that was a possibility now. Makes a bit of sense. The latest reCaptcha is very frustrating for actual humans. Pick all the squares with annoying Californian web coders on fixed wheel bikes. 

Jen

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Didn't realise that was a possibility now. Makes a bit of sense. The latest reCaptcha is very frustrating for actual humans. Pick all the squares with annoying Californian web coders on fixed wheel bikes. 

Jen

Exactly. Luckily I am not human, so not a problem.

• Haha 1

A blog I used to visit needed capcha to post comments.  I always found the first offered image difficult to read, but if I asked it to reset the net offered image/tedt was easier to see and use.

A few months ago we were hit by a spam attack which as a side effect resulted in our mail server being blacklisted by many anti-spam bodies. As a result, there was a brief period whereby some users could not receive genuine emails from us, such as password reset emails, site notifications etc etc. While it's difficult to block spam attacks entirely, it's possible to put in mitigating measures and the use of recaptcha more extensively is one of those measures we have put in place to help prevent recurrences.  That said it should not be overly intrusive as it acts based on trigger points. I will review these over the weekend.