Boat builder

Roger Hilton

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I didn't realise Collingwood put two pack epoxy on their boats? Mind you, that's obviously no good if they don't grit blast the mill scale off and apply it properly.

....and dont put anything at all in the bow thruster tube....

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

but a lot of people have no connection and just repeat what they've heard elsewhere.

You can and do get that in anything in life.  I accept your argument about the naysayers, but I do have to say I have heard a lot more of that from purchasers of newbuild shells from there than from any other manufacturer.

I don't have an axe to grind on this one ... but I do freely admit that I would be wary of buying a new Liverpool shell (Especially given that they stopped trading years ago!)  Aintree or Collingwood (who sprang up from their ashes) would get a considering look, possibly with a trusted surveyor's report.

For what it is worth, my hull was made by an engineering firm that mostly made fuel tanks ... and when it was quiet turned out narrowboats because their workshop was near a canal!

• 2 months later...
On 26/10/2019 at 23:40, TheBiscuits said:

You can and do get that in anything in life.  I accept your argument about the naysayers, but I do have to say I have heard a lot more of that from purchasers of newbuild shells from there than from any other manufacturer.

Possibly because they build more shells than any other manufacturer...

On 26/10/2019 at 21:08, matty40s said:

....and dont put anything at all in the bow thruster tube....

My boat came with some sort of red oxide coloured paint in the BT tunnel and it's been that way for 15 years still looks fine. I've no idea what it was. I think most of it's gone but I can't see much corrosion. The baseplate has never had any paint on it and that looks fine too. Works on the same principle I guess. Far enough under the waterline not to matter too much.