blackrose

Featured Posts

I haven't had much to do with this thread, because, to be honest,I hadn't really seen a big problem before. However, after events yesterday in the "pump out or cassette" thread I have changed my mind.

Just to set the record straight.

I may have said something which others didn't like,so be it,I can't change that. However, people are mistaken to believe this was a sudden disagreement over a single thread. We are talking here about continual nit-picking and needling, just for the sake of it, its been going on for months in a very subtle way, it is in fact a form of bullying. Eventually one has to say enough is enough, you either accept being treated as a doormat or you confront the perpretrator. I did the latter and he reacted like most bullies do and pleaded his innocence, which we both know is completely untrue.

I am not the only one to receive such treatment either, there are others on here who can't open their mouths without the negative comments from the bullies.

As to dccruiser and Janet's posts (just before Bernie closed the thread) I suspect your opinions were in some way based on this gem.

I'm still waiting for you to show me some examples of all this continual nit-picking and needling that you are talking about. Now you're saying it's been very subtle bullying. Could it be that you have just taken things the wrong way all these months? Why don't you actually show us any examples? Because it doesn't exist and is a figment of your overactive imagination perhaps? Have you ever made a complaint to the forum administrators about all these months of bullying that you say you've been subjected to?

You say you've been bullied, I say I've no idea what you're talking about. The proof is there one way or the other - all the old threads are there in the public domain, so again I say, show us some examples.

Edited by blackrose

I can't see what you've done wrong. I cannot recollect a post of yours which could be abusive. I sometimes disagree with you, but that in itself is not a problem. Unless the accusation of abuse can be shown, ignore it. As far as being pulled up for using appropriate terms on a thread about toilets, lets support the anglo saxon language.

Well, I've looked at this, read the threads, and have followed most threads on this site for a number of years. In all that time I don't think I have seen such a bollock-brained response as that put up by "david & julie".

Many of us on this forum have differences of opinion - some are more informed that others - but to threaten to cross the country to have a personal confrontation just beggars belief.

I don't agree with everything you say Blackrose, but you have every right to say what you feel and hopefully you will take notice of other's posts who may have a more experience if you are wrong, or will benefit from your knowledge if you are right. At the end of the day a forum is a place for discussion with the prospect of a consensus coming out of it. whether we are right or wrong, the forum is a place for sensible discussion, not threats of personal physical attack.

I can't see what you've done wrong. I cannot recollect a post of yours which could be abusive. I sometimes disagree with you, but that in itself is not a problem. Unless the accusation of abuse can be shown, ignore it. As far as being pulled up for using appropriate terms on a thread about toilets, lets support the anglo saxon language.

Thanks Doctor.

To be honest, apart from a few run-ins with a few hardcore contributors I rarely recall what I've said to whom. I know I've clashed with John Orentas, CarlT, Tomsk, Gibbo, Carrie, I know better than to try and tackle Mayalid, and there may be a couple of others with whom the interractions weren't entirely pleasant, but of all these people David & Julie really don't stick in my mind. That's why this has come as such a surprise. Perhaps we did clash months ago, but so what? Some people seem intent on holding onto their grudges.

As I said in the original thread if I have said something uncalled for to this person and it can be shown, or other contributors think I'm a bully or that I'm generally offensive then I'll take that onboard, apologise to anyone concerned and if neccessary I'll leave.

I sometimes take the piss a bit, but it's never designed to hurt anyone. I really think he's just taken a couple of my replies the wrong way and it's played on his mind for what's obviously been quite a long time, but to suggect that I've carried out a subtle long-term campaign of psychological bullying over the last few months is delusional.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks Doctor.

To be honest, apart from a few run-ins with a few hardcore contributors I rarely recall what I've said to whom. I know I've clashed with John Orentas, CarlT, Tomsk, Gibbo, Carrie, I know better than to try and tackle Mayalid, and there may be a couple of others with whom the interractions weren't entirely pleasant, but of all these people David & Julie really don't stick in my mind. That's why this has come as such a surprise. Perhaps we did clash months ago, but so what? Some people seem intent on holding onto their grudges.

As I said in the original thread if I have said something uncalled for to this person and it can be shown, or other contributors think I'm a bully or that I'm generally offensive then I'll take that onboard, apologise to anyone concerned and if neccessary I'll leave.

I sometimes take the piss a bit, but it's never designed to hurt anyone. I really think he's just taken a couple of my replies the wrong way and it's played on his mind for what's obviously been quite a long time, but to suggect that I've carried out a subtle long-term campaign of psychological bullying over the last few months is delusional.

matey.

Ive not been on here long i admit but i have view'd the forum for sometime at work and as far im concerned, I like intelligent, opposing views with humour thrown in,

I read the response to to your post on the other thead and was ...i dont deny admitting slightly miffeed that i was at work and couldnt reply.

you have nothing to be ashamed about. you quite rightly say you have differing views to some of the regulars on here but i remember them standing your corner last month when you were given a hard time and asking you not to jack it in. Keep the faith the brother

we have a common enemy and that is those who dont see our canal system as a viable comodoty.(spelling sorry)

we all have a voice and in mho this forum is great

now, to get to the nitty gritty, tell me please ABOUT THE PERKINS 3HD46 !!!!!!!!! :)

whether we are right or wrong, the forum is a place for sensible discussion, not threats of personal physical attack.

In D & J's defense I have to say that he (she?) didn't actually make any threat, but when someone says that they are going to drive over to sort this out and then sends a PM to the same effect without explaining what that means, then it's perfectly natural to wonder if they mean to sort you out.

In D & J's defense I have to say that he (she?) didn't actually make any threat, but when someone says that they are going to drive over to sort this out and then sends a PM to the same effect without explaining what that means, then it's perfectly natural to wonder if they mean to sort you out.

[/quote

Matey.... dont worry. ..we all read the post as i presume it was meant. just do as you said in your reply and not reply to their posts...hard i know if you feel strong about a subject but....who is the better person

Pooh! both posts have now been closed. Why? are we afraid of open discussion about issues on our forum that we need to slam the door on the topics that we all feel strongly about. both arguments should be allowed to be aired without predudice or fear of losing members. Do i not recall a voice of opinion on here calling for moderator and site admin to step in and stop such tittle tattle. does this mean the site admin has succumed to those voices and decided to act, so that we now become a forum similar to our sister in which most posts are begun and responded to by site admin or moderators? We must all now agree with each other and woe betide anyone throwing in a subversive comment. The minority win again i am very much expecting a bollocking for this post fron the powers that be CARRIE....any room inyour wigwam...i am ready to leave society to its doom:sick:

Pooh! both posts have now been closed. Why? are we afraid of open discussion about issues on our forum that we need to slam the door on the topics that we all feel strongly about. both arguments should be allowed to be aired without predudice or fear of losing members. Do i not recall a voice of opinion on here calling for moderator and site admin to step in and stop such tittle tattle. does this mean the site admin has succumed to those voices and decided to act, so that we now become a forum similar to our sister in which most posts are begun and responded to by site admin or moderators? We must all now agree with each other and woe betide anyone throwing in a subversive comment. The minority win again i am very much expecting a bollocking for this post fron the powers that be CARRIE....any room inyour wigwam...i am ready to leave society to its doom
And ive eatena whole packet of pork scratchings while thinking and posting this...Caz i hold you responsible :)

Yesterday I asked Bernie to remove me from this board and today I only logged on to see if it had been done and to see if he had sent me anymore PM's.

However whilst here I feel it only right that I should comment as I don't want people who I know from here believing me to be something I'm not.

Whist I appreciate that "meet face to face" may mean different things to different people I only meant to talk to blackrose. If this has been seen in the wrong context by some then I'm probably at fault for not being more explicit in my writing. To be honest blackrose as no need for concern in that area as I am not a violent person. Beside,(unless he's a pensioner) I'm probably to old to roll round on the floor. :wub:

This is probably getting a bit boring for most of you by now, but nonetheless, it needs saying.

I genuinely believe that the people who complained think I have said something as an aside to blackrose. He put that suggestion to them here.

Edited to say: Regarding your PM sent to me: I'm not sure if you're threatening me or if you just want to talk. Either way, I'm sorry but I really have no desire to meet you. Just look at what you are saying. If you are prepared to drive across the country to have some sort of face to face confrontation then this is getting completely ridiculous.

I have clearly said I didn't send anything untoward or threatening by PM to blackrose. Why he suggests I did in the above is beyond me. For some reason he now says this.

Only blackrose can say why he chose to suggest one thing in one post and the opposite in another. But undoubtedly the complaints followed blackrose's PM comments.

As too this.

but of all these people David & Julie really don't stick in my mind. That's why this has come as such a surprise. Perhaps we did clash months ago, but so what? Some people seem intent on holding onto their grudges.

Make up your mind Mike! in the same paragraph you've said "D&J really don't stick in my mind" and "perhaps there we did clash a few months ago". Have the courage of your convictions Mike, it has happened on other occasions, going back longer than that too, but always in a subtle fashion, others may not notice, but we both knew full well there were issues between us. We don't get and don't like each other even though we've never met. (which believe it or not is what I wanted to sort out)

Lets just be clear though Mike. I Don't like you, but wouldn't do you any harm either. I would like to think that if we do eventually meet we would just have a pint and laugh it off though. :lol:

It is sad when people fall out over misunderstandings but hey ho its not the end of the world.

Best wishes and regards to you all(including you Mike)

Can you remove me now please Bernie. :)

PS Mike, do you have to edit your posts so much?

Yesterday I asked Bernie to remove me from this board and today I only logged on to see if it had been done and to see if he had sent me anymore PM's.

However whilst here I feel it only right that I should comment as I don't want people who I know from here believing me to be something I'm not.

Whist I appreciate that "meet face to face" may mean different things to different people I only meant to talk to blackrose. If this has been seen in the wrong context by some then I'm probably at fault for not being more explicit in my writing. To be honest blackrose as no need for concern in that area as I am not a violent person. Beside,(unless he's a pensioner) I'm probably to old to roll round on the floor. :)

This is probably getting a bit boring for most of you by now, but nonetheless, it needs saying.

I genuinely believe that the people who complained think I have said something as an aside to blackrose. He put that suggestion to them here.

I have clearly said I didn't send anything untoward or threatening by PM to blackrose. Why he suggests I did in the above is beyond me. For some reason he now says this.

Only blackrose can say why he chose to suggest one thing in one post and the opposite in another. But undoubtedly the complaints followed blackrose's PM comments.

I didn't say that you were threatening me, I said I wasn't sure if you were and I asked you to clarify. I have also clearly stated in a post above that you

never actually threatened me.

As too this.

Make up your mind Mike! in the same paragraph you've said "D&J really don't stick in my mind" and "perhaps there we did clash a few months ago". Have the courage of your convictions Mike, it has happened on other occasions, going back longer than that too, but always in a subtle fashion, others may not notice, but we both knew full well there were issues between us.

Where is the evidence? Please produce some examples of the many posts in which I have orchestrated this campaign of bullying. It should all be there in the archives for everyone to see if you'd care to point us to it. You've consistently avoided this since I suggested it in the original thread.

You may think that there were issues between us but I didn't - please speak for yourself and not for me.

We don't get and don't like each other even though we've never met. (which believe it or not is what I wanted to sort out)

Lets just be clear though Mike. I Don't like you, but wouldn't do you any harm either. I would like to think that if we do eventually meet we would just have a pint and laugh it off though. :wub:

Why would you even imagine I'd want to have a pint with someone who throws a wobbly like this?

It is sad when people fall out over misunderstandings but hey ho its not the end of the world.

I'm glad you're starting to realise it was all a misunderstanding.

Best wishes and regards to you all(including you Mike)

And to you too.

PS Mike, do you have to edit your posts so much?

Sorry, I will try to cut down on that - though it probably won't make much difference to you now.

Edited by blackrose

Is it possible that you could take your personal squabbles away from the forums, I have better and more important things to do than referee all day in my busy schedule. In fact I get so tied up at times with my real work I don't always have time to read the topics never mind mediate in childish arguments.

I didn't say that you were threatening me, I said I wasn't sure if you were and I asked you to clarify. I have also clearly stated in a post above that you

never actually threatened me.

Where is the evidence? Please produce some examples of the many posts in which I have orchestrated this campaign of bullying. It should all be there in the archives for everyone to see if you'd care to point us to it. You've consistently avoided this since I suggested it in the original thread.

You may think that there were issues between us but I didn't - please speak for yourself and not for me.

Why would you even imagine I'd want to have a pint with someone who throws a wobbly like this?

I'm glad you're starting to realise it was all a misunderstanding.

And to you too.

Sorry, I will try to cut down on that - though it probably won't make much difference to you now.

I will prolly regret this, but tho' I don't understand where D+J are coming from, historically I have found you patronising and self-righteous, I specifically refer to your 'You clearly know nothing about boats' comment which you made some time ago, which in good spirit and with tongue firmly in cheek, I made my signiture... This propmpted you to make a complaint to the Mods who then banned me for a while for making a direct quote from a member.

You have no idea whether I am a master mariner or a pedelo owner, however if you choose to make derogatory comments based on nothing but thin air and self regard that is your business. I would not bother going crying to the Mods, especially if I am complaining about being directly quoted, perhaps you felt a little silly and regretted making such a sweeping statement, I which case an apology would have settled the matter.

I feel that quoting your comments was entirely fair, but hey, it's all in the past... Since then you have also made reference to being stalked and threatened on this site, which, perhaps erroniously I take to refer to my comments made regarding the darkness of towpaths et al, If you were not referring to me, then I can only think that others have taken grave offence to your sweeping generalisations of others boaty knowlege.

In short Mike, I don't think you are quite the White Knight you portray yourself as, but frankly I couldn't give a fig and wish you well.

Whatever blows your hair back baby,

Tomsk

I will prolly regret this, but tho' I don't understand where D+J are coming from, historically I have found you patronising and self-righteous, I specifically refer to your 'You clearly know nothing about boats' comment which you made some time ago, which in good spirit and with tongue firmly in cheek, I made my signiture... This propmpted you to make a complaint to the Mods who then banned me for a while for making a direct quote from a member.

You have no idea whether I am a master mariner or a pedelo owner, however if you choose to make derogatory comments based on nothing but thin air and self regard that is your business. I would not bother going crying to the Mods, especially if I am complaining about being directly quoted, perhaps you felt a little silly and regretted making such a sweeping statement, I which case an apology would have settled the matter.

I feel that quoting your comments was entirely fair, but hey, it's all in the past... Since then you have also made reference to being stalked and threatened on this site, which, perhaps erroniously I take to refer to my comments made regarding the darkness of towpaths et al, If you were not referring to me, then I can only think that others have taken grave offence to your sweeping generalisations of others boaty knowlege.

In short Mike, I don't think you are quite the White Knight you portray yourself as, but frankly I couldn't give a fig and wish you well.

Whatever blows your hair back baby,

Tomsk

I never claimed to be a white knight Tomsk. I do apologise for the comment which offended you and perhaps I should have done that before now, but I do take exception to the suggestion that I'm casting aspertions on many other people's boaty knowledge. I did it to you in order to wind you up and I regretted doing it very quickly because of what followed.

Since you make repeated asides about my boat, my appearance, and my mooring you obviously know who I am. Yet you seem to make great efforts to to maintain your own anonymity. Frankly I don't care anymore, but at the time it felt like I was being stalked.

Lastly your "frank exchange of views on a dark towpath" comment was seen by myself and many others as a thinly veiled threat, so perhaps in hindsight you regret it too.

Anyway, since Bernie and others are getting pissed off with us I'll make this my last post on the subject, but I wish you all the best too Tomsk.

Whist I appreciate that "meet face to face" may mean different things to different people I only meant to talk to blackrose. If this has been seen in the wrong context by some then I'm probably at fault for not being more explicit in my writing. To be honest blackrose as no need for concern in that area as I am not a violent person. Beside,(unless he's a pensioner) I'm probably to old to roll round on the floor. :wub:

Lets just be clear though Mike. I Don't like you, but wouldn't do you any harm either. I would like to think that if we do eventually meet we would just have a pint and laugh it off though. :lol:

Can you remove me now please Bernie. :)

Is this David talking or is it Julie? seems odd that a couple always seem to talk in the singular.

Oh and David (or is it Julie?) I still remember how you launched into me with pedantic criticism over the subject of Marine ply. Glass Houses and Stones come to mind.

Edited by David Schweizer

david and julie? David Schweizer? I'm now beyond confusion - is this one person or two?

I thought we were only supposed to use one username or log-on name as a matter of etiquette at least or as part of the forum rules. There was at one time a strong current of opinion that suggested that we register under our real names or boat name to prevent multiplicity of posting by one person. I even apologised for accidently registering under my password as I cocked up the process. Is multiple username use the norm? In which case, is there anybody else out there? :)

david and julie? David Schweizer? I'm now beyond confusion - is this one person or two? I thought we were only supposed to use one username or log-on name as a matter of etiquette at least or as part of the forum rules. There was at one time a strong current of opinion that suggested that we register under our real names or boat name to prevent multiplicity of posting by one person. I even apologised for accidently registering under my password as I cocked up the process. Is multiple username use the norm? In which case, is there anybody else out there? :)

There are thousands of Davids in this world, but I am nothing to do with David and Julie, I don't even know anyone called Julie. I have been a member of this forum since the very first few days, and am a rarity in so far as I use my correct name, rather than some invention designed to hide my true identity.

What was your user name again? wriggle something?

Edited by David Schweizer

There are thousands of Davids in this world, but I am nothing to do with David and Julie, I don't even know anyone called Julie. I have been a member of this forum since the very first few days, and am a rarity in so far as I use my correct name, rather than some invention designed to hide my true identity.

What was your user name again? wriggle something?

Thanks David, I was utterly confused as to whether this was you speaking - in which case I would have been amazed or whether you had inadvertently not quoted in the usual form. I note you have not included the code to complete the quotation hence the bemusement; or perhaps I just need a bigger brain.

In answer to your questions, you know full well, as does everybody else on this forum, that my correct name is Jill Shepherd and that I am moored at BoA Marina or on the cut. I explained in my previous post why I had a username rather than my own. I did ask for help in changing it after certain personal matters were resolved but none was forthcoming as by then nearly everybody had registered under pseudonyms.

Jill Shepherd (my parents declined to give me a middle name but I would share it with you if I had one.)

PS I teach in Calne, drive a cherry red Citroen C4, play a concertina, wear glasses and have a round face for help with further identification. :)

Well, I've looked at this, read the threads, and have followed most threads on this site for a number of years. In all that time I don't think I have seen such a bollock-brained response as that put up by "david & julie".

Many of us on this forum have differences of opinion - some are more informed that others - but to threaten to cross the country to have a personal confrontation just beggars belief.

I don't agree with everything you say Blackrose, but you have every right to say what you feel and hopefully you will take notice of other's posts who may have a more experience if you are wrong, or will benefit from your knowledge if you are right. At the end of the day a forum is a place for discussion with the prospect of a consensus coming out of it. whether we are right or wrong, the forum is a place for sensible discussion, not threats of personal physical attack.

I couldn't agree more, the forum is for discussions - if only! When I first joined I posted and was totally ignored until I mentioned that there is a certain clique who just use this forum as if its for them alone. That got a reply and agreement. I have watched it happen to a lot of people since.

God help a newbie if he/she asks a question that is to any experienced boater basic knowledge, out comes the clique to harrangue. Discussion dosen't come into it. It would help if the forum HELPED newbies and encouraged discussion instead of just ridicule. Some things just don't change, if you don't believe me then watch the answers to this and you will see the response!!!!!

I couldn't agree more, the forum is for discussions - if only! When I first joined I posted and was totally ignored until I mentioned that there is a certain clique who just use this forum as if its for them alone. That got a reply and agreement. I have watched it happen to a lot of people since.

God help a newbie if he/she asks a question that is to any experienced boater basic knowledge, out comes the clique to harrangue. Discussion dosen't come into it. It would help if the forum HELPED newbies and encouraged discussion instead of just ridicule. Some things just don't change, if you don't believe me then watch the answers to this and you will see the response!!!!!

Are we really going to start this again? I'm a newbie, asked all sorts of stupid questions, got all sorts of good answers. My introduction thread was ignored but probably just because I sounded like a spastic tourist.

Minimoman

I am sorry you were 'ignored', many of us clique/old members do try to welcome new members but we do have other things in our lives and sometimes miss the odd post.

If a new member arrives and asks a question that has been asked before, I and others, try to find the relevant post or direct them to the search facility, that they have often not noticed.

I've just had a quick look, and as far as I can see;

1) All but one of the topics that you started received a response on the same day that you posted.

2) Most of your posts received a reply as well.

3) You flounced when you posted to one thread back in January and hadn't received a reply an hour later

To explain why I am leaving, have a look at my contributions, hopefully always informative and helpful, with no irrelivant posts that should have been the subject of personal e-mails.

I started the "good ideas" thread but even that has a large number of "off topic" posts. Surely with a thread that is there just to get the "that's a good idea, might use it in my new boat" idea across is what this thread was all about and not be allowed to degenerate into a "chat room".

Why was it never "policed"?

Even on the first page of the thread there were the following posts....

....To each his own. I know where you are coming from with this, and I can imagine you will ruffle a few feathers. On the same lines applied to motor cars we would still be driving model T fords (comes in any colour as long as it's black) It must be a individual choice as with any thing in life. You may enjoy throwing the bucket down the well for your fresh water, others prefer to turn on the tap.

Commercialism drives the advancement in all products, and the majority of us embrace all the advantages this brings.You yourself are as guilty as anybody in this as you have worked in R and D and expected the developments to be put to use or there is no point in having any R and D.

A dug out canoe is a boat if you really want a true boat, but you are willing to accept the advancements from this up to the level that you perceive to be a boat, strange thing this, a little bit of dual standards applied here methinks.

...It is a real issue, I have been on boats that don't feel like boats at all, they may have an engine room of sorts but everyting remotely boaty is hidden away behind the latest trendy household accessories.

...For me I like boats, that's why I have bought one, it has a woodburning stove, I don't have a kitchen I have a galley, when I am in bed it has the feel of a bunk, my engine room has equipment fixed to the walls, wiring, pipes, ropes, exposed lighting and a workbench. If this description fills anyone with horror I would suggest they have no business having a boat.

Others will say in a pompous sort of way "that's all very well but I like to be comfortable", then I would say they have missed the point, boats can be comfortable too.

You only have to read many of the contributions on this site to realise that a sizable minority go to great lengths to embrace a suburban lifestyle and create modern home counties semi.

There is no irony in this, but I do honestly wonder at times, "why the hell has this bloke bought a boat".

...I'm sure I recall seeing (a long time ago) a boat with a long, low, tug-style fore deck fitted with a turntable arrangement onto which a Mini could be run up ramps. Not sure that I fancy driving the car on - especially on a dark, wet night but I suppose the turntable was fitted with some sort of stop plank to prevent the car and driver ending up in the cut.

...Have a word with Richard, they say he has got a helicopter landing pad and hangar

...How you suffer!

...I'm still trying to work out where to garage the car. Impressed by those Rhine barges with a 2CV parked on the cabin roof.

...You are quite right Chris, that's the place for it. Everthing streaming with condensation to keep it nice and dank. I miss that exilerating feeling of the rain dripping down the back of my neck when doing a bit of daily maintenance and people treading on my fingers whilst I'm wrestling with the deck boards.

Only the other day I was bemoaning my fate whilst I was doing a little job at my workbench in the engine room, over-heated and over-lit as it is I managed it, and then went on to give my engine a polish with a dry cloth, at the same time listening to the rain pattering outside.

...My god it was hell in there.

...of course my engine is where it belongs - hidden away under that enormous rear deck, sharing space with no-one and nobody.

...Victoria told me she wont come on the boat unless she can have a 'Barbie Pink Life Jacket'

...Only just stopped crying with laughter at your 'split up with the girlfriend' comment!

We moved on last December and by February she had legged it!

I have now found a new woman who it a boat nut, makes life so much easier.

Regards

Andy.

...Neat solution to a problem on many boats I think.

This was NOT why I started the thread to have a load of irrelevant posts clogging it up. Would you, as a new boater thinking of building his own boat, wade through seven pages of such posts hoping to find the "gem" hidden away? I think not!

As to the response made to a post I made regarding abusive language from a moored boat (no licence and no mooring licence) that I should not bother contacting BT but "spend the time in bed with my woman". I found it objectionable. A moderator suggested (following my complaint) "O and by the way ***** can not help his attitude He is a Scoucer.....lol"

Bye..