Freeman Illegally moored om my mooring ?

W+T

Featured Posts

You know at the end of the day its on my mooring which is paid for by for Bohemian and that boat isnt . So either way its going to be shifted somewhere unless things change.

There are a few more ghost mooring available but need a pontoon building which i dont intent to do  so Lark Rise owners can do that. 

It could be one get out of jail card for the original owner and state they sold it, who knows. all a bit weird and i cant be doing with the hassle. 

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

As Richard Parry said to me almost 4 years ago, you won't need to display your licences soon as our system will make them obsolete.....

And then you get those that can't even be bothered to display a number either, so are completely unidentifiable to CRT. There's one moored near to me now with a CRT letter attached to the tiller, presumably asking the owner to contact them to identify themselves.

Just now, rgreg said:

And then you get those that can't even be bothered to display a number either, so are completely unidentifiable to CRT. There's one moored near to me now with a CRT letter attached to the tiller, presumably asking the owner to contact them to identify themselves.

i just dont why folk are so awkward when it come to this, 

God sake display the details, no reason not to at all.  

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

They are rather nice boats. Shaft drive,but usually with a Ford petrol engine.

Beam if memory serves is 7'-6" so ok for most canals.

Freeman did make a narrow beam cruiser,(6'-10" with a weed hatch and extra rubbing strips) but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings.

I know this because I looked for one before I bought my present boat.

We had a run out on a narrowbeam Freeman called Black Cat when we were last on the Broads. Lovely little boat with the big gear shifter poking out through the cockpit floor.

We did gatecrash the Freeman meet first though.

20180729-081253.jpg

Sydney loved going out on Black Cat

20180730-144224.jpg

20180730-145901.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

11 hours ago, W+T said:

I agree the index should be displayed.

But the need to display the license is outdated and should be abolished. 

11 hours ago, W+T said:

There is every reason not to display a name or number. 

For a start, CRT don't hassle you to get a mooring or buy a licence.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, W+T said:

If its there when i get there  with no reply from them then i will no longer be the nice me and the wind will take far far away.

According to the RYA legal information, you are on shaky ground moving the boat but it seems clear that the landowner could go down the lien route. It's not clear but as you have rented it maybe you could too.  I suggest you delete that post to cover yourself and speak to a legal bod.
On the other hand Mr Smelly did make a good point.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

I agree the index should be displayed.

But the need to display the license is outdated and should be abolished. 

Of course it is in the eyes of CaRT.  No license to display and the only checks on the proportion of craft that are actually licensed is CaRT's own records. Now far be it for me to suggest that CaRT are capable of mendacity, although the number of "visitors" suggests it may be the case, so absolutely no transparency over licensing evasion.  If CaRT had the money to install loads of "APNR" cameras so getting caught with an unlicensed boat would be all but certain (eventually) then may be there would be no need to display a license but until then I think it is vital, just to keep CaRT on their toes re evasion.

13 hours ago, BilgePump said:

.... I'm not sure but is that a licence plate beneath the windscreen sides? Can't make out the index number if it is.

Enlarging the picture it looks like "10x5x0" where the missing digits are probably 3 or 5 or 8.

It's a bit annoying, but as you haven't launched your boat yet it's no biggie.

The day you get there if it's still there that would be very annoying.  I'd untie it and then retie it securely in a place not accessible from either bank, but I'm nice like that.

• Love 1

I dont mind, and in no stress over it being there as i am not there yet, but its ignorance i cant understand as it has not paid mooring fees, as we think it has a licence BSS unsure. All that i dont care about myself, if the boat was bought from the owner who has gained the over due mooring fees then surely you would see about the mooring and not just moor up.  But then folk are a bit dim nowadays.

All i want to do is find the owner so i can tell him whats going on. 

If the boat is still there in a month or so when i hope to get there then i will either move it somewhere, either on the a ghost mooring or towpath side if there is room as dont want to make navigation hard for other boaters.

Or as it is a long mooring and my boat is 21 foot and that 23 foot then i can keep both boats there until the owner turns up as the next mooring along is a ghost mooring and the Freeman can extend onto that one with the stern on my mooring for access. 

As this is a big forum i hope somebody may see this thread and know of the owner.

Captain Faffer :)

5 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a run out on a narrowbeam Freeman called Black Cat when we were last on the Broads. Lovely little boat with the big gear shifter poking out through the cockpit floor

Just after I bought my narrowboat,I did see a narrowbeam Freeman advertised for sale. (Sods law). It was called "Black Cat" and advertised by someone called Tugboat Tony.

Had a look at his website,and it is still listed for sale,and fitted with a Kubota diesel engine.

It's over two years since I first saw the ad,so it has probably been sold by now,and Tugboat Tony hasn't updated his website.

Anyway,even if it is still available,I couldn't cope with owning two boats. Maintaining and the running costs of one is quite enough!

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

Enlarging the picture it looks like "10x5x0" where the missing digits are probably 3 or 5 or 8.

Which corresponds to the index 108550 on Canalplan boat list. So if this is it, it is licensed according to CRT checker. Not that this is relevant to the mooring situation.

A good spot to relocate it to would be just north of its current position, under the bridge and immediately beyond the CRT LT moorings in front of the caravan park; that should draw attention to it.

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is every reason not to display a name or number. 

For a start, CRT don't hassle you to get a mooring or buy a licence.

Indeed, and strangely the last three boats to pass my mooring (I'm sitting in the garden enjoying the sunshine) have displayed no name or index number. They also failed to slow down at all but thats not so much of a problem as I'm well tied up and the cut is full.

The numbers of unidentifiable boats seem to be growing exponentially, year on year, so I expect CRT will have to find a solution soon or risk losing significant revenue and alienating law abiding boaters.

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Its a shame Jenlyn is not contributing to this forum anymore otherwise he could explain why he removed all identifying marks from his boat.

Nevertheless he is still in contracention of CRT's T&C's (which are based on the legally enforceable byelaws), which state:

7.1. You must display the Boat’s name,index number and the Licence on both sides of the Boat so that they are always easily visible by our employees on the towpath or on the Waterway. If you do not, we may place a sticker on the Boat or on any cover on the Boat showing the number, which must not be removed unless the number is displayed in some other way.

3 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

What about the “historic” narrowboaters who have British Waterways or FMC on the cabin sides don’t believe these companies are really the owners.

Every traditionally liveried ex-working boat I have seen has clearly displayed boat name and registration number (and often place where registered) on each side.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung