Good Well Deck Designs?

AdamG

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I'd like to rip apart my existing well deck and re-build it much better and I'm struggling to find ideas on t'internet, especially with photos or diagrams. I like to sit out on my well deck when the weather's good, I have no real need for storage and I'd like seating for guests. I'm pretty good at DIY and would welcome some suggestions (with photos or diagrams if possible).

The photos here show my current well deck. It is 4 feet from front to back. As you can see, I have a small diesel tank on the starboard side which can't be moved. On the port side there is a storage locker  with 'seating' on top, but I'd like to rip this out.

Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

Adam

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

A lot of front well decks are integral steel affairs dating from when the boat was first built, which might explain the dearth of information.

I can't offer any ideas on redesign, but I'd get rid of the rubber matting and whatever lies beneath it pronto. Our boat had that stuff in the years before we bought it, and the deck beneath was badly corroded because of the trapped water.   

A table below the cratch board works well. It only needs fixing to the board with brackets or a batten and then a single leg at the front (aft) edge. You could make it hinged or even removable if you wanted. Benches at either side following the gunwales would allow the most space - in the same place as your existing locker. Or you could have folding chairs but they take up more room. 

Thanks Wotever,

I'm seriously considering removing the cratch board, cover and front cratch 'windows'. Just to give me a completely empty space to build on. The cratch cover is getting to the stage where it would need replacing anyway and I don't really benefit from it - other than keeping the rain off my trolley and diesel can. An open area with some waterproof seating, either fixed or folding appeals...

3 minutes ago, AdamG said:

Thanks Wotever,

I'm seriously considering removing the cratch board, cover and front cratch 'windows'. Just to give me a completely empty space to build on. The cratch cover is getting to the stage where it would need replacing anyway and I don't really benefit from it - other than keeping the rain off my trolley and diesel can. An open area with some waterproof seating, either fixed or folding appeals...

My twopenneth and its only personal choice. Having lived with a cratch and cover, no way will I ever have one again. They are a bit of a pretence of a hold with covers but in reality about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and just get in the way. We have the front open with side lockers as seats for when on the move.

The rubber mats, as long as they are rubber not that horrid hard plastic, with proper stand offs are not a cause of corrosion on my bote. They give you some non slip security too and protect the deck from paint chips. Essentially your well deck is too short to be transformed. Again imo.

Edited by mark99

I'm in favour of the rubber matts too I'm afraid - as already said they should have nodules underneath so are mostly not touching the deck itself. If you have a waterproof paint (not oils) it will be fine and protected from all those bits of scratchy rock that get caught in boots. Also you can walk onto it in your bare feet in summer or winter.

Go for smart new decking benches either side - will hide your diesel tank and you will still have storage under. 

Can't comment on the design of the seating but if you want a really good weather proof material for the seating cushion covers I would thoroughly recommend Silvertex.

Not the cheapest by any means but it is excellent water proof and stain proof fabric.

1 hour ago, BruceinSanity said:

I hadn’t spotted that, what’s the problem with it?

As long as it is securely foxed in place I suspect it perfect OK as long as the filler and breather sizes meet the BSS demands,  the breather hose is correctly marked and you fit a shut off tap.

Split fuel will go overboard - yes via the well deck scuppers (as long as its a self draining well deck).

Breather higher than filler - yes

Suitable material - yes

More than happy to be proven wrong.

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My twopenneth and its only personal choice. Having lived with a cratch and cover, no way will I ever have one again. They are a bit of a pretence of a hold with covers but in reality about as much use as a chocolate fireguard and just get in the way. We have the front open with side lockers as seats for when on the move.

As live-aboards, my wife & I would totally disagree. In winter we find the extra covered space invaluable. It's a useful store, and when returning to the boat from the pub or whatever, it's easy to nip under cover in bad weather while you find door keys & unlock the door.

In summer the cover is easily rolled up out of the way in seconds.

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, trackman said:

As live-aboards, my wife & I would totally disagree. In winter we find the extra covered space invaluable. It's a useful store, and when returning to the boat from the pub or whatever, it's easy to nip under cover in bad weather while you find door keys & unlock the door.

In summer the cover is easily rolled up out of the way in seconds.

Thats why I said its only personal choice. I hate them and will never have another. We have plenty of space for the two of inside in the warm and dry and dont have to roll a poxy tent up to get on or off the boat. Been there done that aint doing it again. I did sort of fancy one once but having lived with one for five years our list of not wants for the present boat was a cratch. I also detest pram hoods. :cheers:

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Split fuel will go overboard - yes via the well deck scuppers (as long as its a self draining well deck). 

I would suggest that allowing the entire front well to flood with diesel is rather stretching the concept of configuring the fuel filling point so that any spillage goes overboard. But a BSS inspector might accept it.

On 19/03/2019 at 17:06, AdamG said:

I'd like to rip apart my existing well deck and re-build it much better

On 19/03/2019 at 19:08, AdamG said:

An open area with some waterproof seating, either fixed or folding appeals...

Quite a few people made some very valid points - but perhaps if you were a little more forth coming with what you wanted to achieve that would have given people a bit more to work with, "much better" is a tad vague by anybody's standards. 

22 minutes ago, AdamG said:

whilst this is all very interesting, it's not really answering the original post...

You only stayed to interact with people for a couple of posts and then left for the rest of the week, did you expect to throw the question out there and then come back a week later and have all the work done for you. 

Apart from stripping everything out, there's not a lot can be done, unless you are prepared to start cutting and welding.

As has been said, that small tank, might need bringing up to BSS standard, if it's not already.

Bod

On 19/03/2019 at 17:06, AdamG said:

I'd like to rip apart my existing well deck and re-build it much better and I'm struggling to find ideas on t'internet, especially with photos or diagrams.

Frankly, the answer is under your flippin' nose. Never mind the internet, look at the other boats all around you. Take photos of the well decks you like, post them here and we'll suggest ways of making your boat the same (if you haven't already figured it out by then). 

2 hours ago, Bod said:

As has been said, that small tank, might need bringing up to BSS standard, if it's not already.

Bod

Apart from fixings which I can't see what could you actually fail it on, I am assuming (always dangerous) the pipe on the top is a vent