Warwick

captain birdseye

Featured Posts

We 'did' the castle thing last year. Worth every penny (and pound). Book in advance to gain a favourable rate. I'm not fir the touristy things in life, but grandson was with us and I enjoyed my day.

On that particular occasion we moored online just outside the Saltisford Arm. But have moored in the arm a number of times. Really welcoming. Got a launderette as well. Ten minute walk to town a bit longer for the castle. I like Warwick. Think the first night is free.

Edited by Nightwatch

The Cape is a little nearer than the Saltisford Arm via a footpath from behind the pub and "around the houses". Another spot not mentioned is the new mooring rings on the aqueduct over the River Avon between Leamington and Warwick, there are steps down to the park and a riverside path to the Castle.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We 'did' the castle thing last year. Worth every penny (and pound). Book in advance to gain a favourable rate. I'm not fir the touristy things in life, but grandson was with us and I enjoyed my day.

On that particular occasion we moored online just outside the Saltisford Arm. But have moored in the arm a number of times. Really welcoming. Got a launderette as well. Ten minute walk to town a bit longer for the castle. I like Warwick. Think the first night is free.

Yes, a friendly safe mooring. 

And the washing machines are good!

so another vote for Salisford. 

1 hour ago, captain birdseye said:

Is the Cape any Further than the Saltisford Arm and are the moorings OK. I am only thinking we might want to nip out for a pint after a day with the children being touristy around the castle

Cape and Saltisford are close to each other, so in terms of the distance to the castle it does not make much difference.  The visitor moorings at Cape are fine, but can be full.  If you are heading to Hatton then the other side of the road bridge past the Cape visitor moorings there is a short section of piling where you can moor (much of the towpath there is concrete).  Other than that there is piling on the approach to Hatton bottom lock and you can moor there just past the entrance to the Saltisford arm.

1 hour ago, captain birdseye said:

Is the Cape any Further than the Saltisford Arm and are the moorings OK. I am only thinking we might want to nip out for a pint after a day with the children being touristy around the castle

It is a wee bit further to town, but it'd be worth making the treacles walk that bit further to ensure your ease of access to The Cape later on.  (They'll sleep better too - bonus!). Plenty of moorings whenever I've been.

It's a couple of years since I've been in (to be remedied shortly as it happens) but The Cape has been on my favourites list for donkey's.

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

The first night is no longer free.

2 hours ago, philjw said:

We were put in the winding hole. That felt strange. I would recommend staying at Salitsford too.

Everytime we have moored there it has been in the winding hole, it makes going out easier!

A grand place to moor, clean, tidy and great facilities. 

Its an easy walk to the supermarket too.  Paying for the 1st night is a good idea, we always have anyway, well worth supporting them.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

You could get nearly 2 pints in the pub for that!  Another vote for the Cape then.

Does the Cape have a laundrette?

Sell coal?

Sell Calor gas?

Maintain the canal system?

There are a lot better pubs in Warwick than the Cape.

:)

Edited by Laurie.Booth
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Everytime we have moored there it has been in the winding hole, it makes going out easier!

A grand place to moor, clean, tidy and great facilities. 

Its an easy walk to the supermarket too.  Paying for the 1st night is a good idea, we always have anyway, well worth supporting them.

We have joined each year.

On 20/03/2019 at 12:56, Laurie.Booth said:

Does the Cape have a laundrette?

Sell coal?

Sell Calor gas?

Maintain the canal system?

There are a lot better pubs in Warwick than the Cape.

:)

I live in Warwick, not been in every pub but would say the Cape is the best one i’ve been to.

The other option for mooring is opposite or just past Kate Boats, the castle is about 20 mins walk. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saltisford is closer to the town centre (800m) than the Cape (1.3km).

Both are nice, but as Neil says above, another alternative is to moor by Kate Boats.

There's always mooring space between the Cape and Saltisford, and along that stretch you can park a car right next to the boat should you need that convenience.

I wouldn't recommend mooring between Saltisford and Hatton bottom lock - the A46 road is noisy and it's further from town in any case. 

As regards pubs, the Cape is nice, but there's lots of other good ones - the Coffee Tavern, Fourpenny Shop, Bowling Green, Zetland, Old Post Office.......