Canal & River Trust updates Online Mooring Policy

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

18 March 2019

CANAL & RIVER TRUST UPDATES ONLINE MOORING POLICY

The Canal & River Trust has updated its Online Mooring Policy following a consultation at the end of 2017, and further review and discussion in the intervening period.

There are two key areas of change.  The Trust will be ending the automatic online reduction policy, whereby the charity had previously removed one long-term online mooring for the creation of every ten off-line marina moorings.  Over the past ten years nearly 600 online permanent moorings have been removed as thousands of new offline moorings have been created.  The new policy does not support the creation of lots of new linear moorings, but in certain circumstances they may be appropriate if they meet strict criteria.  Moorings that have been removed to date will not be reinstated, and this will not affect existing marinas or those currently in development where online mooring reduction has already been agreed.

Secondly, single ‘end of garden’ mooring applications will now be considered against privately-owned land, not just that which has a residential dwelling on it.  Permission will only be granted to the landowner and sub-letting the mooring will not be permitted.

Jon Horsfall, head of customer service support at Canal & River Trust, said: “We have updated our Online Mooring Policy to reflect the current waterway environment, and to ensure we have a clear and robust policy to help us manage the waterways for the benefit of boaters.  It’s more important than ever that towpath moorings are shared fairly, especially in busy areas, and that we make the best possible use of space.”

More information is available here (“Where can I find information about our moorings policies?”):  https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/moorings/mooring-faqs

-ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, Canal & River Trust

m 07796 610427 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

A step in the right direction. Hopefuly more linear moorings will be made again in the future instead of forcing boaters into caravan parks. Lines of boats are nice to pass its part of the system.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

A step in the right direction. Hopefuly more linear moorings will be made again in the future instead of forcing boaters into caravan parks. Lines of boats are nice to pass its part of the system.

as long as you are not required to slow down to a crawl.

7 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

as long as you are not required to slow down to a crawl.

Not a problem I have always and will always pass at tickover unless very high winds. I leave speed for the motorway,  not the canal system. Other views can be applied.

• Greenie 4

40 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep, kind of agree if you can pass with some speed. 

I’ve enjoyed theBridgewater today. It’s wide enough and the boats are well moored. A few on pins that I slowed down for otherwise I cruised at usual speed (which aint fast). 

And I saw some lovely old boats. 

• Greenie 1