Mail Images

mark99

Featured Posts

I understand that the pictures date from probably 1949/50 and the boats pictured are as follows:

Nuneaton and Barnes with Tom Lapworth and family.
Thaxted and Fulwell with William Kendall and family.
Jackal and Iver with R. Haywood and family.  Within a year or two Iver was transferred to day boating on the Paddington to Cowley tip traffic ending up scuttled in Hawley’s Pit, Harefield in March 1956.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

4 minutes ago, Bee said:

Brilliant pictures. Wonder why the sun never shone in the 1950's?

Many a true word spoken in jest. In cities, the massive amount of coal-fired heavy industry (we used to make things over here in those days) had a lot to do with it. I grew up thinking that most old buildings in Sheffield were built with black bricks or stone. It was a revelation when Sheffield Midland station was cleaned (late '60s?) and turned a sandy colour.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Many a true word spoken in jest. In cities, the massive amount of coal-fired heavy industry (we used to make things over here in those days) had a lot to do with it. I grew up thinking that most old buildings in Sheffield were built with black bricks or stone. It was a revelation when Sheffield Midland station was cleaned (late '60s?) and turned a sandy colour.

Quite incredible really, I lived in Bath in the early '70's when the buildings were being cleaned. They were properly black. coal fires and a bit of heavy industry like Stothert and Pitt, (Dockyard cranemakers) also some foundries and general filth had done that over the years. Not quite as genteel as people think.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

So what were Nuneaton and Barnes carrying that can't be seen in the photo below (and confused the caption writer) yet was heavy enough to load them down almost to the top guard?

11134392-6821713-image-a-48_155290951351

Steel bars  for Tyseley.  That's why, in the last picture , he's having  to use the notched end of the beam to force the sides apart so his wife can knock the beam into place.

Very atmospheric London - just as I remember it as a kid. It was a clear day if you could see St Pauls from Alexandra Palace (6 miles), which most often you couldn't!

Some wit said it was only the soot on the brickwork that held some buildings up.

Who remembers Bus Inspectors walking ahead of a bus with a flare in thick fog and smog?

This is my favourite - the young lady (captioned a boy) looks like a terrific character... anyone know who she is? Real social history of a lost world only a few years back.

Capture1.JPG.691645456374532fe662ca890a7a33b5.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by mark99

Those pictures are superb.

Limehouse basin?

(Or Regents Canal Dock, as it would have been then)

And who was the happy baby in the light coloured bonnet on the RHS of the pic above?

But........

No........

This can't be  right........

They must be fake......

No waistcoats and red neckerchiefs!

On 18 March 2019 at 17:52, Paul H said:
I understand that the pictures date from probably 1949/50 and the boats pictured are as follows:

Nuneaton and Barnes with Tom Lapworth and family.
Thaxted and Fulwell with William Kendall and family.
Jackal and Iver with R. Haywood and family.  Within a year or two Iver was transferred to day boating on the Paddington to Cowley tip traffic ending up scuttled in Hawley’s Pit, Harefield in March 1956.

Paul

Thanks for that info. I believe that's Tom Lapworth who married Phyllis Wilson. Their children are my third cousins. Do you know who is in the pictures of Nuneaton and Barnes?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg