Need an inverter recommendation: Best of the worst?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IanD said:

No (good quality) fuse with a given rating should blow due to aging effects; the whole point of the rating is that the fuse should be able carry it for the lifetime of the device, even at the maximum rated ambient temperature -- this is what the fuse rating means.

Age related fuse failure happens.

When I worked in the critical power industry, fuses were preferred to circuit breakers because of the closer protection they give and these were routinely changed every 5 years to prevent age related failures leading to unplanned outages.

Fuses were also changed whenever an upstream or downstream fuse had blown because the resultant high voltage transient had the potential to stress other fuses.

34 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Though i must confess, I am not sure what butteries are.

Delicious ?

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Isn't a butterie the room where butties are buttered ?

Of course it is. And fuses should always be kept away from butter. 

35 minutes ago, IanD said:

apply insults instead of having a meaningful discussion

I’ve tried having a meaningful discussion and everyone gets it except you. Now you’re suggesting that I advocate 26A fuses in 13A plugtops in an attempt at obfuscation. 

23 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Age related fuse failure happens

Yes. Especially when subjected to occasional surges beyond their capacity (such as a 150A fuse on a 1.5kVA inverter). 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes. Especially when subjected to occasional surges beyond their capacity (such as a 150A fuse on a 1.5kVA inverter). 

Yes, its the heating and cooling that ages them relatively quickly but even fuses carrying a constant load 24/7 will eventually age, especially if it's carrying a current close to its rated capacity.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Yes, its the heating and cooling that ages them relatively quickly but even fuses carrying a constant load 24/7 will eventually age, especially if it's carrying a current close to its rated capacity.

Oh yes, I know :)

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Hmm.

Does that mean you would suggest a larger fuse than the expected load, for example a 350A fuse on a circuit that might surge to 300A occasionally?

Like I did a page back :D

(Obviously the cables need to be able to carry more current than the fuse, but for an inverter installation you want thick cable to avoid voltage drop efficiency problems.)

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Does that mean you would suggest a larger fuse than the expected load, for example a 350A fuse on a circuit that might surge to 300A occasionally?

Funny you should mention that... ;)

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

1500 Watts = 6 Amps @240V near enough.

Multiply by 20 as 240 / 12 = 20

240 Amps on the 12 V

Plus Surge margin 20 % = 288 Amps

A 300 Amp fuse is adequate.

And I bet your inverter will only output 220V so its more than adequate at 300 Amps.

Wrong numbers -- 1500W out of inverter means 1650W in (using Sunshine efficiency numbers) which is about 150A assuming battery drops to 11V under load.

Fuse rating is a matter for debate... ?

2 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

1500 Watts = 6 Amps @240V near enough.

Multiply by 20 as 240 / 12 = 20

240 Amps on the 12 V

Out by a factor of two. Just divide by 10 to include losses. 1500W is about 150A. But don’t forget it can surge to 250A or even 300A.  

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hmm.

(Obviously the cables need to be able to carry more current than the fuse, but for an inverter installation you want thick cable to avoid voltage drop efficiency problems.)

Sort of, you first select the cable size for current carrying capacity (taking into account method of installation - is it bunched with other cables, under insulation etc) AND volt drop, then choose a fuse capable of protecting the cable.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Sort of, you first select the cable size for current carrying capacity (taking into account method of installation - is it bunched with other cables, under insulation etc) AND volt drop, then choose a fuse capable of protecting the cable.

And of course that fuse can also be less than the cable’s capacity as in the example I gave earlier in this thread. 

Inverter arrived! Now to try and find a mega-fuse. Looks like EVERY STORE IN BRISTOL does not sell them. ?

Will the world end and my boat explode if I wire this thing up for a day or two and buy a mega fuse through the net? Or am i just courting disaster here.

24 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Inverter arrived! Now to try and find a mega-fuse. Looks like EVERY STORE IN BRISTOL does not sell them. ?

Will the world end and my boat explode if I wire this thing up for a day or two and buy a mega fuse through the net? Or am i just courting disaster here.

If it's the Sunshine one the data sheet says it has internal fuses, which should protect it (and cables/batteries) if things go horribly wrong -- but it doesn't say whether they're user replaceable or not if this happens. I'd say the risk is low in the short term for trying it out, but add a megafuse when you can get one.

If it's a different inverter and the data sheet doesn't say it has internal fuses, I wouldn't risk it.

Just now, IanD said:

If it's the Sunshine one the data sheet says it has internal fuses, which should protect it (and cables/batteries) if things go horribly wrong -- but it doesn't say whether they're user replaceable or not if this happens. I'd say the risk is low in the short term for trying it out, but add a megafuse when you can get one.

If it's a different inverter and the data sheet doesn't say it has internal fuses, I wouldn't risk it.

It is the sunshine c-series 1500w model. It came with a bunch of extra internal fuses which I believe to be 30a blade fuses. I believe they should be replaceable since I got extras. Sound right?

Just now, Tasemu said:

It is the sunshine c-series 1500w model. It came with a bunch of extra internal fuses which I believe to be 30a blade fuses. I believe they should be replaceable since I got extras. Sound right?

Yes ?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Yes ?

Agreed.  That's what mine has, and it came with a full set of spares.  I'm still on the original set after two years, but check they are all fully inserted and haven't come loose in transit.

The courier's van that brought it to you was probably harder on it than the ship that brought it halfway round the planet!

9 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

They look quite good for the money. I bought one last month for my spares bin as they are flippin cheap but a certain forum member has had good service from his so far. Keep us all informed how you get on with it.  :cheers:

5 hours ago, Tasemu said:

I don't think any stores sell these things. I bought mine online from either altec.co.uk or 12voltplanet.co.uk

tried Halfords and a few local motor stores and electrical stores, then gave up.

I think i got it sorted. Only issue left is the terminal wires they sent me are short as hell. And they haven't labelled what gauge they are at all. Is there any way to find this out?

16 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

I think i got it sorted. Only issue left is the terminal wires they sent me are short as hell. And they haven't labelled what gauge they are at all. Is there any way to find this out?

Ask them? 

Or 

A=πr² If you are able to measure the end without the insulation.

Edited by rusty69

18 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

They’ll be short because they’ll be too small (as in mm2)to be longer. 

If you tell tell us what length you want we can tell you what size to use. I’m going to take a wild guess at 70mm2 but it totally depends on the length, it could be larger. As you’re fitting a 300A fuse you certainly don’t want anything smaller than that.