Need an inverter recommendation: Best of the worst?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

Hey people, I am in need of an inverter to run some basic equipment from my boat that won't run on 12v. I hear great things about Mastervault (i think thats the name), Victron etc. However I do not have nearly the funds to purchase one of these right now. I don't need any kind of multi charger inverter, just an inverter hopefully around 1.5kw constant.

Basically i'm looking on ebay and amazon for something cheap (< £200) that will work for the foreseeable future, dont care if it dies some day, just need something that works for now.

Hoping someone on CanalWorld forums is slumming it like me and could share some advice on the best of the worst. :)

Please don't lynch me..

Edited by Tasemu

Try sunshine power inverters on line. Good reports from several online at easier prices. Some forum members have em. 1500 watt on offer just over £200 at moment.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Just bear in mind a 1.5 kw inverter running at full load  constantly will take just a wee bit of supplying.

Definitely wont need 1.5kw often at all, just want that so if in the future I want to buy the washing machine covered below I can.

Just now, Boater Sam said:

That washer only 1500 Watts? Remember that motors take more whilst starting, 1800 Watts may be better.

Sterling gear is not rubbish and they are well known and accountable.

The poster of the video runs it fine with a 1300w continuous inverter, so figured 1500 would handle it as well.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I have a spare 2000w Silverline MSW which I could be tempted to sell for not very much money.  It worked fine until I upgraded to a fancy PSW.

That sounds great, should I send you a PM or something? :)

Sidenote: not actually sure what MSW is and if it means anything

edit after thought: ah modified sinewave i bet

Edited by Tasemu

1 hour ago, Tasemu said:

That sounds great, should I send you a PM or something? :)

Sidenote: not actually sure what MSW is and if it means anything

edit after thought: ah modified sinewave i bet

Correct.  Feel free to PM me.  The inverter is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Silverstorm-444658-Inverter-2000/dp/B002QRWHBK

Cheap but far more solid than many I've seen.

MSW ran everything of mine except washing machine and electric toothbrush.

Edited by doratheexplorer

1 minute ago, Tasemu said:

So the general consensus here is victron or higher, otherwise your boat will sink?

I use an old powermaster inverter MSW. It has worked well for years, though I am on the lookout for a PSW one as I think it has contributed to the premature failure of the compressor motor on our freezer in the past.

Prosine/Xantrex are also worth a look. They are also expensive,but can often been found on ebay at a reasonable cost. I think they use them in ambulances etc.

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I use an old powermaster inverter MSW. It has worked well for years, though I am on the lookout for a PSW one as I think it has contributed to the premature failure of the compressor motor on our freezer in the past.

Prosine/Xantrex are also worth a look. They are also expensive,but can often been found on ebay at a reasonable cost. I think they use them in ambulances etc.

Power master is great kit. I have a power master psw combi fitted on here. Never been switched off apart from hols away. Only pulls 0.3 of an amp on standby. No longer any UK outlets but I found one on ebay in Germany yesterday and they still operate in Taiwan and have a website so are still available :cheers:

5 hours ago, Glynn said:

MSW = Modified Sine wave. Not very good for electronics.

Strangely enough, I still have the originally installed Heart Interface 2000 (designed and also used by Gibbo). It is modified sine wave and the only thing it will not run is the equally ancient Servis Logic 1300 washing machine - it washes, but then never gets a spin cycle going, so just keeps going and going, and never spinning. The only reason the washing machine hasn't been chucked is that its built into the kitchen and we would have to take the kitchen apart to remove it.

This will be happening later this year....

New Kitchen?

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I cant find anything there to agree with, unless maybe yes they could be classed as "well known" (though maybe not always for the best reasons)

4 hours ago, Tasemu said:

So the general consensus here is victron or higher, otherwise your boat will sink?

Doesn’t look like that to me.

given your comments in the OP, you will be fine with a Sterling. I’ve got a Sterling inverter charger which has worked fine since 2012, along with their latest charger, which has worked fine for a year, (maybe 2? ).

5 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

That washer only 1500 Watts? Remember that motors take more whilst starting, 1800 Watts may be better.

I wouldn't have thought the motor uses that power, it will be the heating element surely - which obviously won't really care about the waveform it sees. 

19 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I cant find anything there to agree with, unless maybe yes they could be classed as "well known" (though maybe not always for the best reasons)

Our boat had a 3kva PSV Stirling Combi

Supplied in May 2006 and still working when we sold up in October 2017.