Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
RLWP

R.I.P Dick Dale

Featured Posts

Another guitarist who influenced people like Hendricks and Stevie Ray Vaughan gone 😣

He never appealed to me. I accept that he was acknowledged as a good guitarist, however, all his tunes sounded repetitivly similar to me. But then, I never really liked guitar soloists much, especialy those who preferred the base strings.

It was many years before I found out that this tune, 'Misirlou', was not a Beach Boys original - they recorded it on one of their early L.P.s. The tune is currently being used in a T.V. advert, though I don't know for what product and whether it's Dick or the BBs playing. Mine of information, sure I am.

Yes, R.I.P.Mr. Dale.

I like this one, the pair of them make the guiters sing!

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

It was many years before I found out that this tune, 'Misirlou', was not a Beach Boys original

...and it was not until today that I found that it dated back to 1927! Where's it from, Greece?

You didn't read the comments on the video then?

Wikipedia has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou

So, if you can connect Dick Dale to Greeks or Armenians in America, that would explain how he came to record it

Richard

Edited by RLWP

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

I like this one, the pair of them make the guiters sing!

Hmm!  As I said repetitive with very little tune. OK of you are spaced out out but a whole evening of that would drive me mental. I guess they filled the video with semi naked girls to make it exciting

I do like solo guitarists, especially those that don't rely on the screeching notes of the high strings. Hendrix and then Clapton were my first gods, now I rarely turn away from SRV if I stumble across one of his videos.  His live version of Voodoo Chile (slight return) is astonishing.

If you read the history of Dick Dale it's very interesting and proves he wasn't merely a one trick pony.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I do like solo guitarists, especially those that don't rely on the screeching notes of the high strings. Hendrix and then Clapton were my first gods, now I rarely turn away from SRV if I stumble across one of his videos.  His live version of Voodoo Chile (slight return) is astonishing.

If you read the history of Dick Dale it's very interesting and proves he wasn't merely a one trick pony.

Indeed!

Nice link to John Peel there

Richard

9 minutes ago, RLWP said:

You didn't read the comments on the video then?

Wikipedia has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misirlou

So, if you can connect Dick Dale to Greeks or Armenians in America, that would explain how he came to record it

Richard

The video has no comments - it just shows a picture of the band and plays the tune. So it was Greek.

The Wiki entry reminds me that The Ventures, a favourite instru group of mine, also covered it. I probably have it on one of their L.P.s.

Just now, RLWP said:

Indeed!

Nice link to John Peel there

Richard

Another one which The Beach Boys covered! On the same album (Surfin' USA) as 'Misirlou', as it happens. I guess Brian Wilson must have had a stack of Dick's records at home.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

The video has no comments - it just shows a picture of the band and plays the tune. So it was Greek.

Apologies, you'd have to read the comments on Youtube. Yes, well, Eastern European. Ottoman Empire might cover it too

The Trashmen have a nice version too

Richard

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Apologies, you'd have to read the comments on Youtube. Yes, well, Eastern European. Ottoman Empire might cover it too

The Trashmen have a nice version too

Richard

Darn you, now I have B-B-B-B-Bird Bird Bird etc. going through my head.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Another one which The Beach Boys covered! On the same album (Surfin' USA) as 'Misirlou', as it happens. I guess Brian Wilson must have had a stack of Dick's records at home.

Making covers was very common for all groups around that time. It becomes clear listening to some of the charts in Paul Gambaccini's show where you may get three versions of the same song in the charts at the same time

Richard

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

Some odd tastes in music on here 😀😉😉 I use the term "music" genericly

Actually, you seem to be using it in an extremely narrow way

• Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Indeed, I like most music from classical to heavy rock.

38 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Yes probably, what I should have said was :-  I use the term "music" as a very loose description.

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, I like most music from classical to heavy rock.

I also have a very broad enthusiasm for music including classical, Folk, and Rock, even some Jazz, but not heavy Rock (I had too much of that when I was young). However, to enjoy it, it must have a recogniseable tune. Lots of notes randomly following each other in no ordered fashion is just a jumbled noise, and not music I.M.O.

I also have a very broad enthusiasm for music including classical, Folk, and Rock, even some Jazz, but not heavy Rock (I had too much of that when I was young). However, to enjoy it, it must have a recogniseable tune. Lots of notes randomly following each other in no ordered fashion is just a jumbled noise, and not music I.M.O.

Which is the joy of music, my opinion is likely sometimes different to yours and sometimes the same

56 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Making covers was very common for all groups around that time.

I recall the DJ on Radio 1 who ran a request show asking people not to request Lynn Anderson’s  ‘Rose Garden’ as not only did everyone else request it but there were three or so versions in the charts all at the same time. 

56 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Some odd tastes in music on here 😀😉😉 I use the term "music" genericly

I note the "smilies" but I don't think there's anything odd about guitar-led beat group instrumentals. You are surely almost old enough to remember The Shadows and their immense popularity in the early '60s - they were very much in the mainstream of popular music. Ditto The Ventures in the U.S.A.

The Trashmen, admittedly were a bit odd - but they were a spoof group: their biggest hit 'Surfing Bird' was a skit on vocal group The Rivingtons' 'Papa Ow Mow Mow', covered by, yes you've guessed, The Beach Boys.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I note the "smilies" but I don't think there's anything odd about guitar-led beat group instrumentals. You are surely almost old enough to remember The Shadows and their immense popularity in the early '60s - they were very much in the mainstream of popular music. Ditto The Ventures in the U.S.A.

I am certainly old enough to remember the Shadows, but I was never a fan of them or Cliff Richard. However, from recollection, they did play a tune rather than a repetitive rift.

I am certainly old enough to remember the Shadows, but I was never a fan of them or Cliff Richard. However, from recollection, they did play a tune rather than a repetitive rift.

I doubt you will like Phillip Glass much then

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I doubt you will like Phillip Glass much then

Who?

Just Googled him, and the answer is "No"

Edited by David Schweizer