A boat with unusual features

LadyG

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I really like this one, it's not overly tug like in its appearance and would give you that place to sit out and dine in the summer

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/warren-brothers-50-tug/565531

Edit To Add - Oops just noticed it's not for sale anymore :blush:

Keep up: Eliza was on the markets or months, and a fair age, but stylish.

No no, red herring forget the tugs,, 

I want a nice little boat about 50ft, £40K, well maintained.

like this http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/chamois-45-semi-trad-2002/

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

Now, someone has thrown a lot of money at this one: I am wondering if it is even worth considering. 

I am not sure if it could be "sorted". I would not be paying the asking price.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046

What about the bed, location, would it be cold in winter, hot in summer, where could the gas be relocated, would a good cratch provide a solution?

Seems to lack storage.

I like it.Fairly modern (2004),so probably no corrosion problems,good make of engine (Barrus) which I think are a Yanmar base.A canvas cover over the cratch frame and you will have a good storage area for coal,bike etc. even though you will enter and leave on your hands and knees.The interior looks quite plush (compared to mine) portholes and quite distinctive looking.

If it was 40ft and a bit cheaper I would be interested. 

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

The brass thingy is, indeed, a step. It folds down to give a foothold when climbing onto the roof.

The red ones are originally indirect raw water cooled, while the green ones are keel cooled. The difference is the presence of a raw water pump, a core in the heat exchanger and a slightly lower temperature thermostat in the red ones. They are easy to convert, though, so the colour is not definitive.

I had a red Beta 27 hp engine in a Stoke on Trent 42ft boat I bought new from them ready built in 1997.   It did have the normal skin tank with three cylinders and seemed rather underpowered on rivers.   Maybe that was the standard colour in those days.   I paid £32000 for that boat so it is probably worth more than that in today's market.

12 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I like it.Fairly modern (2004),so probably no corrosion problems,good make of engine (Barrus) which I think are a Yanmar base.A canvas cover over the cratch frame and you will have a good storage area for coal,bike etc. even though you will enter and leave on your hands and knees.The interior looks quite plush (compared to mine) portholes and quite distinctive looking.

If it was 40ft and a bit cheaper I would be interested. 

I like it but the pink would have to go :giggles:

What's this thing? It obviously started life as a gas canister but has been modified into something else.

IMG_3369.JPG

ETA: It may be where they keep their spiders but I somehow don't think so

Edited by Tumshie

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

What's this thing? It obviously started life as a gas canister but has been modified into something else.

Its the spider bins obvs.

Note to self.Find out how to take italics off. Oooo, thats new too a strikethrough button. When did that appear?

ETA OH no.If you forget to take strikethrough off when editing, the button disappears.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its the spider bins obvs.

Note to self.Find out how to take italics off. Oooo, thats new too a strikethrough button. When did that appear?

You go away for Nope that has always been there :rolleyes:

Edited by Tumshie

9 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I like it but the pink would have to go :giggles:

IMG_3369.JPG

ETA: It may be where they keep their spiders but I somehow don't think so

Its the gas locker!

strikeout has been around since Rusty was a dog

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Are you sure. I am sure it is new.

I'm sure, but you tend to use that finny staggered cross through thing so you probbly didn't look for it before. 

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Its the gas locker!

So they've modified a gas canister into a gas locker ? how meta....

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

strikeout has been around since Rusty was a dog

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I'm sure, but you tend to use that finny staggered cross through thing so you probbly didn't look for it before. 

Well, that goes to show how observant I am. I have been using the code thing <> to get strikethrough. Doh!

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

So they've modified a gas canister into a gas locker ? how meta....

yep, inspired, or wot? .............. ?

Edited by LadyG

Just now, rusty69 said:

Well, that goes to show how observant I am. I have been using the code thing <> to get strikethrough. Doh!

To be fair your strike through looks better - less serious, which is why you usually use it so there is that. 

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

If I was on the lookout for a tuggy type boat it would have to be this. Proper hull, proper engine and not a bad price.

AE677443-8E65-43B3-8B51-071151928F71.jpeg

I saw that last week and laughed at the advert - minimalist in the extreme - however, splendid boat for the money if the hull is sound.

Just now, matty40s said:

I saw that last week and laughed at the advert - minimalist in the extreme - however, splendid boat for the money if the hull is sound.

She's a lovely boat

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Keep up: Eliza was on the markets or months, and a fair age, but stylish.

No no, red herring forget the tugs,, 

I want a nice little boat about 50ft, £40K, well maintained.

like this http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/chamois-45-semi-trad-2002/

ah , yes, but I sold that one too, before it arrived...lovely boat.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:01, matty40s said:

WE viewed this one a few years ago its a great boat with a good pedigree but it does need work - get it for £35k spend £15k over time and the "builder" will always stand you in good stead - definitely worth a look BUT cant I comment on the steel - I think the guy selling is the guy who runs the dock at hawne basin so he may know more and he is trustworthy - the boat has been moored there for ever!

On 18/03/2019 at 09:14, LadyG said:

Now, someone has thrown a lot of money at this one: I am wondering if it is even worth considering. 

I am not sure if it could be "sorted". I would not be paying the asking price.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046

What about the bed, location, would it be cold in winter, hot in summer, where could the gas be relocated, would a good cratch provide a solution?

Seems to lack storage.

As narrowboats go I actually quite like that.

I wouldn't be put off by the bed under the tug deck as our bed on our current boat is tucked away under the cockpit floor with limited headroom and we get a really good night's sleep in there.

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

WE viewed this one a few years ago its a great boat with a good pedigree but it does need work - get it for £35k spend £15k over time and the "builder" will always stand you in good stead - definitely worth a look BUT cant I comment on the steel - I think the guy selling is the guy who runs the dock at hawne basin so he may know more and he is trustworthy - the boat has been moored there for ever!

Isn’t this boat still owned by Bob May who kept “Governor” in immaculate condition? I heard his health wasn’t so good now which could be why it’s been neglected. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the hull, our Fuller is 3 years older and after a blast and 2 pack in 2001 still looks like new. The steel did seem to be better quality at that period. 

It is indeed Bob May’s boat and you are correct, his health has declined and is the reason for the sale, sadly. A cracking boat, I did some work in the back cabin a couple of years ago. More than worth a look for anyone who appreciates quality craft.

Bob was a professional photographer, one of his on display in the saloon featured a cat asleep on the rear fenders....cat on the tip cats, you might say.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/03/2019 at 11:33, LadyG said:

Keep up: Eliza was on the markets for months, and a fair age, but stylish.

I think I would feel too "exposed" sitting on a tug deck, 

Despite the "tug" description in the advert, Eliza doesn't have what most peoplew call a "tug deck" on a modern build though does it? The pictures show a sunken well deck.

50 minutes ago, dave moore said:

It is indeed Bob May’s boat and you are correct, his health has declined and is the reason for the sale, sadly. A cracking boat, I did some work in the back cabin a couple of years ago. More than worth a look for anyone who appreciates quality craft.

Bob was a professional photographer, one of his on display in the saloon featured a cat asleep on the rear fenders....cat on the tip cats, you might say.

I first met Bob when I was moored in Sheffield Basin, he’d ventured up on Governor for a short visit. This turned into an extended stay as his elderly cat went AWOL one night. I once convinced it was gone for good with a main dual carriageway, empty buildings, the river Don etc all close by. Bob however knew better and sure enough the cat returned days later none the worse for it’s adventure. I gave Bob a hand down the locks when he left, I thought my boat didn’t hang around on deep water but Governor was something else!

On 18/03/2019 at 15:48, LadyG said:

Don't believe everything you read on a broker's description..................

Liveaboard

I've seen boats, all kind of boats, built boats, bought boats, lived on boats, sailed boats, been there, done that, this is just a vehicle for my new life, I'm retired, I don't intend to force myself to go out on horrid days, get soaked, fall in the canal, and so on. I've been out in survival conditions, and survived, it's not a big deal. You've either got to be prepared for it, or you are not got going to last the course. Please don't worry, ty ?

Precisely. why the hell would you. If the weather is crap there is always the pub or something else other than standing out in the poxy rain.

• Happy 1

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:12, dave moore said:

We met Bob on the boat a few years back on his last cruise from Gas Street (where we moored together) to Hawne Basin then we met up app 6 months later after he had decided to sell but nothing came of it - now properly on sale and a proper enthusiasts boat well worth a look it will need work but it will be worth it...……….

On 18/03/2019 at 10:55, matty40s said:

The 2nd boat you link to has the smallest bathroom I have seen on a boat, I wouldn't like to be in a rush for the loo as it would probably take 5 minutes to Yoga yourself into the gap for a poo.

I was trying to work that out too - unless the top of the loo swivels?