A boat with unusual features

LadyG

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The 2nd boat you link to has the smallest bathroom I have seen on a boat, I wouldn't like to be in a rush for the loo as it would probably take 5 minutes to Yoga yourself into the gap for a poo.

Nope that’s ours. The compartment is 485 by 485 , and the loo sits in the compartment if required. That’s it. Tiny. Most visitors are advised to go elsewhere, anywhere else. As for showers, well you can’t shut the door, and be in the compartment at the same time.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I like it. Nice Faversham stove. Sale agreed!

Yeah I know I noticed that just after I posted - I wasn't looking at that part of the advert but to be fair it probbly wouldn't still be on the market by the time LG sold her house so it was just an example of a nice tuggish area to sit out in. 

Edited by Tumshie

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

Yeah I know I noticed that just after I posted - I wasn't looking at that part of the advert but to be fare it probbly wouldn't still be on the market by the time LG sold her house so it was just an example of a nice tuggish area to sit out in. 

tuggish area is not a nautical term!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I really like this one, it's not overly tug like in its appearance and would give you that place to sit out and dine in the summer

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/warren-brothers-50-tug/565531

Edit To Add - Oops just noticed it's not for sale anymore :blush:

Keep up: Eliza was on the markets for months, and a fair age, but stylish.

I think I would feel too "exposed" sitting on a tug deck, 

Edited by LadyG

28 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Yeah I know I noticed that just after I posted - I wasn't looking at that part of the advert but to be fair it probbly wouldn't still be on the market by the time LG sold her house so it was just an example of a nice tuggish area to sit out in. 

The way the Scottish system works, as soon as I have a formal offer with an entry date, I can put a deposit on a boat, I don't need to wait till the last few days. With good luck it would take four weeks. I have a chap interested, has been hovering for three weeks, and not even made a tentative offer yet...............

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Would a tuggish area be a place to have a tug?

I suppose that would depend to the type of tug you were referring to it could be tug, tuggish, tugging, tuggable, tuggly, tugger.....

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Body may be 50 but the brain is still 16

Oh..... :blush:

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The way the Scottish system works, as soon as I have a formal offer with an entry date, I can put a deposit on a boat, I don't need to wait till the last few days.

Hi. As ive said before the Jockanese method does seem far better than the shambles we have down ere. However if say you did put a deposit down and the vendor pulled out or lets say had a serious accident and couldnt fulfil the obligations re the mortgage how would you then stand in the real world?

49 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The 2nd boat you link to has the smallest bathroom I have seen on a boat, I wouldn't like to be in a rush for the loo as it would probably take 5 minutes to Yoga yourself into the gap for a poo.

But no problem for Northerners as they do this every day on Northern Rail ?

................Dave

• Love 1

47 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think you will find the loo has a swivel, I hope. I did think it was a pretty neat fit! Also, I think it is ceramic, I am not keen on plastic toilet bowls. I'd be on my own, so I could reverse in! Even the shower is only half sized!

There is 240v oven, which means I might have to swap to SF stove for something with a oven, yet these seem not to be very popular.https://www.stovefitterswarehouse.co.uk/products/the-hobbit-4kw-defra-without-log-store?variant=12932005068883&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH_QGsPehqr3XkQN66ez4MHLk2ZVS_PzKpqMBFg0Q2fJnOAOPJWk4I0aAgfREALw_wcB

I wonder if anyone could comment on the Beta Marine [red] engine compared  to the greenline Beta engines?

Red engine might be raw water cooled as opposed to skin tank. Worth checking anyway, raw water cooling can be problematical on muddy plastic-strewn canals.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Mr Smelly would tell you a cruiser stern is better.

My suggestion......go and look at some.

Seconded.

Spend a weekend looking at the huge variety of boats at Whilton Marina https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk

They allow you to view unaccompanied (three sets of most keys can be taken out of the office at a time). That way you will see what features you like or dont like.

However some say it is best not to buy from there as they do not always acknowledge which boats are on brokerage and which they own (Sale of Goods act applies to these).

• Happy 1

All depends on what you want the boat for - live aboard or weekending.   Trad stern or cruiser - try them both, and think cold, wet days. 

The ad quotes maximum speed as 5 mph, you would not get through some river bridges.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

(snip)

What is the brass thingy on the outside, like a step for tiny tots?

The brass thingy is, indeed, a step. It folds down to give a foothold when climbing onto the roof.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

I wonder if anyone could comment on the Beta Marine [red] engine compared  to the greenline Beta engines?

The red ones are originally indirect raw water cooled, while the green ones are keel cooled. The difference is the presence of a raw water pump, a core in the heat exchanger and a slightly lower temperature thermostat in the red ones. They are easy to convert, though, so the colour is not definitive.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Hi. As ive said before the Jockanese method does seem far better than the shambles we have down ere. However if say you did put a deposit down and the vendor pulled out or lets say had a serious accident and couldnt fulfil the obligations re the mortgage how would you then stand in the real world?

I would get the money if he was dead, or compensation, so it''s no risk to me ............ in theory............... Once he has committed, he has committed.

If I lost my deposit he would have to pay it, plus all the rest of the compensation. Nothing to do with me if he defaults on a mortgage. He has to pay me for my trouble, it would probably cost him at least £10K. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

All depends on what you want the boat for - live aboard or weekending.   Trad stern or cruiser - try them both, and think cold, wet days. 

The ad quotes maximum speed as 5 mph, you would not get through some river bridges.

Don't believe everything you read on a broker's description..................

Liveaboard

I've seen boats, all kind of boats, built boats, bought boats, lived on boats, sailed boats, been there, done that, this is just a vehicle for my new life, I'm retired, I don't intend to force myself to go out on horrid days, get soaked, fall in the canal, and so on. I've been out in survival conditions, and survived, it's not a big deal. You've either got to be prepared for it, or you are not got going to last the course. Please don't worry, ty ?

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1