A boat with unusual features

LadyG

Featured Posts

Now, someone has thrown a lot of money at this one: I am wondering if it is even worth considering. 

I am not sure if it could be "sorted". I would not be paying the asking price.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046

What about the bed, location, would it be cold in winter, hot in summer, where could the gas be relocated, would a good cratch provide a solution?

Seems to lack storage.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Now, someone has thrown a lot of money at this one: I am wondering if it is even worth considering 

I am not sure if it could be "sorted". I would not be paying the asking price.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=596046

What about the bed, location, would it be cold in winter, hot in summer, where could the gas be relocated, would a good cratch provide a solution?

That is a 'standard' bed for a tug-deck boat.

If you intend to relocate it,  you may as well buy a boat 10 feet shorter and save money on licence, mooring, painting costs.

At first glance it doesn't look bad at that price.

You couldn't put a cratch over the deck unless you were only 4 foot tall (no well deck)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The only thing I would be concerned about sleeping under a tug deck is what do you do if you are ill, poorly, sick? Can't see a doctor crawling in there or the paramedics sliding you out.

How many times do you bang your head before you sell it?  Not for a restless sleeper.

Edited by Boater Sam
Grammatical correction

Yes, well why is there a cratch frame, even uglier than most pram hoods!, quite a lot of why's in the design. Is one expected to crawl in to bed with these tugs, this is about as low as I 've seen, or perhaps I just crossed them off .

Why does the diner have no hatch adjacent, it's strange, all round.

What is the brass thingy on the outside, like a step for tiny tots?

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well, that's a start, I was working along those lines, I think I'll have to abandon it, 

I like our bed.It is high up,so warmer,and I can look out the window whilst Mrs Rusty is steering the boat.

The deck on that one would have to be well insulated unless you wanted it to double up as a bed/shower.The mattress looks thin too. A water bed could be a good solution.

27 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I like our bed.It is high up,so warmer,and I can look out the window whilst Mrs Rusty is steering the boat.

The deck on that one would have to be well insulated unless you wanted it to double up as a bed/shower.The mattress looks thin too. A water bed could be a good solution.

With the way technology is going, I could probably stay in bed while the boat steered itself.

I've had my eye on this one for a while, but now I am wondering if a trad is really ideal, I mean I've got my bicycle, the firewood, coal, etc

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=591052

I like the loo, the bathroom, the general "perkiness" of the hull and cabin exterior. 

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

With the way technology is going, I could probably stay in bed while the boat steered itself.

I've had my eye on this one for a while, but now I am wondering if a trad is really idea, I mean I've got my bicycle, the firewood, coal, etc

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=591052

Mr Smelly would tell you a cruiser stern is better.

My suggestion......go and look at some.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

As soon as I have a firm offer [two mildly interested in the flat] I 'll either look or I'll buy without looking, as far as I can tell, there is no "perfect" boat, it has to be attractive to look at, inside and  out. I can clean up dark dirty interiors with a slap of london white, but I am quality oriented, and a badly maintained boat is probably a rat's nest.

I think I've said before I have to mount an expedition to go and look at any boats, the last one I tried to arrange a viewing, the vendor "disappeared"

Edited by LadyG

17 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

My plan is to have a short boat for economy but a really nice cratch for dining out in summer, and so on. 

The really good ones are snapped up within hours. The quickest I can view is about four days.

David from Cruising the Cut viewed dozens, did the research, bought a trad, and now thinks he should have bought a different style, so it's obviously not an easy decision. Some trads are really almost semi trads.

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

My plan is to have a short boat for economy but a really nice cratch for dining out in summer, and so on. 

My twopenneth. Crusiers sterns are much nicer all round. I also detest cratches and pram hoods. The thing is in reality in the summer its much nicer to set a couple of seats and a table on the towpath with the barby than perching in the pointy end. especialy with a cratch board to bang yer head on. Of course some people then remove the cratch board so it may as well not be there.

I am only talking from first hand experience of living aboard 8 boats with various sterns and layouts but this boat is spot on, we have a  Short well deck so most space is inside where we live and deffo no front or rear covers. We did have a trad with a long pointy end with a built in table and cratch all looked very posh but as a liveaboard it was far from ideal. Hobby boating of course is much different.

Don't buy a boat without looking, especially if its going to be your home. Boats are special things and have a "feel" that is often not captured in photos. Wen we were looking we looked at a few boats that all looked good in the pictures, but when we visited one so obviously had the right feel for us and the others were either just ok or wrong.

Note that cratch covers really don't work too well on raised tug decks, they are a pain on most boats and become hard to negotiate store rooms, they only really work on boats with sunken well decks were there is headroom to stand up.

............Dave

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Don't buy a boat without looking, especially if its going to be your home. Boats are special things and have a "feel" that is often not captured in photos. Wen we were looking we looked at a few boats that all looked good in the pictures, but when we visited one so obviously had the right feel for us and the others were either just ok or wrong.

Note that cratch covers really don't work too well on raised tug decks, they are a pain on most boats and become hard to negotiate store rooms, they only really work on boats with sunken well decks were there is headroom to stand up.

............Dave

Good post. This boat is short at only 68 feet but actual living space is considerably more than our 70 foot Hudson. The Hudson was a fab and extremely well built boat but this colecraft with this fit out is vastly superior in many ways for 24/7 365 living. And yes the cratch on the Hudson was a proper twatt of a thing to bang yer ed on.

Yes, that strange tug thing has been deleted from my short list, just mentioned it cos it had some nice features. 

It's rather tricky to sell my flat and buy a boat in a fairly short time frame, its a lot easier if I can sound out vendors about price before I bother to view. I have y own ideas about value, and so far, those [few] that I was prepared to offer the asking price went within hours. I am not the only one looking for the same thing. 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, that strange tug thing has been deleted from my short list, just mentioned it cos it had some nice features. 

It's probably a boat which I'd admire if it was someone else's but which I wouldn't want to own myself.

Just now, rusty69 said:

My second suggestion. Learn from Mr Smellys years of boat buying mistakes.....take him shopping with you:icecream:

:P Non were mistakes u eejut. Boats are like cars there simply isnt one that suits every aspect of life and lives change. An mx 5 is no use to a young family with mum, dad three kids and a dog. Same with boats. One of our boats was sea going for when we lived on the G and S to take out to sea, another was a widebeam when we lived on the commercial rivers and waterways so why have a poxy narrowboat. Three have been tiny 56/7 footers for moving round the whole system etc etc. One boat aint going to cover all aspects of liveaboard life however much you pay for it.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

It's probably a boat which I'd admire if it was someone else's but which I wouldn't want to own myself.

I'm not even sure I would admire it Athy., it's got a look of the "container" about it, not to mention the "triangular planks" at the pointy end. I can't think that the gas tubing in the gas "locker" is an ideal solution.

I think I was having a nightmare, went to sleep thinking about it, 

Edited by LadyG

18 minutes ago, LadyG said:

David from Cruising the Cut viewed dozens, did the research, bought a trad, and now thinks he should have bought a different style, so it's obviously not an easy decision

Dunno. We have had the same boat for 20 years.It is a trad. I prefer the look of the trad, and prefer the look of portholes (we have bus windows).

I would have to bow to mr smellys vastly superior number of boats owned.If you really dislike the one you end up buying, it should be easier to swap than a flat.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:P Non were mistakes u eejut.

Don't call me stoooopid!

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Dunno. We have had the same boat for 20 years.It is a trad. I prefer the look of the trad, and prefer the look of portholes (we have bus windows).

I would have to bow to mr smellys vastly superior number of boats owned.If you really dislike the one you end up buying, it should be easier to swap than a flat.

Well, bizarrely enough, one of the reasons I bought this flat was that I thought it would be easy to sell, they were going like hotcakes a the time.

I've never regretted buying anything so much as this bl**y thing.

Edited by LadyG

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

One boat aint going to cover all aspects of liveaboard life however much you pay for it.

Well,that really depends what you want out of it.Ours has been fine for us so far.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Well, bizarley enough, one of the reasons I bought this flat was that I thought it would be easy to sell, they were going like hotcakes a the time.

Yeah, but you can't move it to London and paint it white.

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Don't call me stoooopid!

I agree orange person. I like the porthole look and had fab solid brass portholes on the Udson. However we bought the Udson because I had always liked the quality and look but as a full time liveabord it was not the best. We have lots of ooge windows on this boat and its great, for a bus. I agree boats are much quicker and easier to get rid of than property in todays market place. We are trying a semi trad this time and though it was the bosses choice I have grown to like it for many reasons. There realy is not one boat that covers it all is there old bean ?