How thick stove string?

Featured Posts

Just replaced the sealing string on my stove.I think I used 10 or 12mm.

Lit it today and with the gusty wind,smoke was blowing back from around the door.

The stove is an Evergreen ST-0311,and unfortunately the book that came with it doesn't mention the sealing string.

Stove string on the internet is sized from 8mm to 25mm.

Does anyone know the correct string thickness for this stove?

Too thin and it's going to leak. Too thick and the door probably won't shut.

Any advice appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Just replaced the sealing string on my stove.I think I used 10 or 12mm.

Lit it today and with the gusty wind,smoke was blowing back from around the door.

The stove is an Evergreen ST-0311,and unfortunately the book that came with it doesn't mention the sealing string.

Stove string on the internet is sized from 8mm to 25mm.

Does anyone know the correct string thickness for this stove?

Too thin and it's going to leak. Too thick and the door probably won't shut.

Any advice appreciated.

Scientific method. You really need to know the equal all around gap between the door back and the stove face. Remove the rope and open the door slightly until the gap is equal ALL round. It might be 6mm or something like that. Then open the door and measure the depth of the ropes groove in the door, add this to the door gap measurement which might be something like 10mm or so and add a couple of mm's for the final rope thickness size

Easy method. With the rope still in and the door closed poke and slide feeler gauges all around between the rope and stove face, noting any irregularities, if the doors not warped and the measurements are equal then thicker rope is required.

Twofold method.  Place a ring of Aldi Chippolata sausages in the rope groove. Light a good fire, close door to compress sausages.  Cook for one hour. Open door, remove sausages and measure their compressed thickness in order to buy correct rope.   Eat sausages.  :closedeyes:

39 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Twofold method.  Place a ring of Aldi Chippolata sausages in the rope groove. Light a good fire, close door to compress sausages.  Cook for one hour. Open door, remove sausages and measure their compressed thickness in order to buy correct rope.   Eat sausages.  :closedeyes:

Thanks for the replies,Bizz.

The feeler gauge method won't work because there is a lip on the stove face which fits into the string groove.

Will go to the boat tomorrow to measure distance from the door to the stove face,measure the size of the lip,and the depth of the string groove. then do the constipated mathematician act (work it out with a pencil) and hopefully get the correct string thickness.

Also,check for a warped door.(hadn't thought of that)

Giving this a good dose of thinking about,I wonder if the string I fitted is too thick.It could be wedging the hinge end of the door too tight,and not squashing the string tight enough on the horizontal bits.

Rather than use sausages,perhaps filling the rope groove in the door with Blu Tack, and shutting the door might be a better method. 

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thanks for the replies,Bizz.

The feeler gauge method won't work because there is a lip on the stove face which fits into the string groove.

Will go to the boat tomorrow to measure distance from the door to the stove face,measure the size of the lip,and the depth of the string groove. then do the constipated mathematician act (work it out with a pencil) and hopefully get the correct string thickness.

Also,check for a warped door.(hadn't thought of that)

Giving this a good dose of thinking about,I wonder if the string I fitted is too thick.It could be wedging the hinge end of the door too tight,and not squashing the string tight enough on the horizontal bits.

Rather than use sausages,perhaps filling the rope groove in the door with Blu Tack, and shutting the door might be a better method. 

I wouldn't fancy eating blue tack though.