two hatches in a new build

Featured Posts

after many years going to have a 57ft trad built with trad layout, want to have two side hatches but not sure of where they need to be positioned. Need to decide this soon as shell spec needs sorting. Anyone any plans, photos of such showing positions would be greatly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

after many years going to have a 57ft trad built with trad layout, want to have two side hatches but not sure of where they need to be positioned. Need to decide this soon as shell spec needs sorting. Anyone any plans, photos of such showing positions would be greatly appreciated.

Will the positioning of the hatches not be determined by your internal layout ?

Do you want the hatches to be in the Galley or saloon - where are you having dividing walls ?

Pretty much every boat is different so I'm not sure that the layout of another boat will be much help (unless you are exactly copying their fit-out)

Positioning is very much a matter of choice. The only advice I would give is to ensure that they are of a size (after lining out etc) to allow easy access for bulky white goods. Washing machine, fridge, freezer etc, etc.

As Alan says, you need to draw out your internal layout (to scale) first and to do that you need the cabin dimensions from the builder (boat length minus bow & stern lengths). Then position your bulkheads, windows and the side hatches. You'll soon see where you want them. Both sides of my boat are symmetrical in terms of portholes and hatches, but they don't need to be. So get yourself some graphpaper and carry on...

Edited by blackrose

19 minutes ago, blackrose said:

As Alan says, you need to draw out your internal layout (to scale) first and to do that you need the cabin dimensions from the builder (boat length minus bow & stern lengths). Then position your bulkheads, windows and the side hatches. You'll soon see where you want them. Both sides of my boat are symmetrical in terms of portholes and hatches, but they don't need to be. So get yourself some graphpaper and carry on...

If you are getting more than the bare steelwork done it is a good idea to draw out things like where the roof vents, ceiling lights, electrical switches and outlets, internal bulkheads, waste skin fittings etc are to go too. 

My boat ended up with symmetric bus windows and side hatch, but the portholes in the bathroom and bedroom are assymetric to increase the light coverage inside. All planned out by me and drawings supplied to the builder before any steel was cut. I had the overall internal cabin length from the fabricator and defined he position of everything from the front bulkhead. I did mine in CAD, but pencil and paper still works!

Jen

Two of the drawings below:

You can see that the side hatch is beside the breakfast bar, so there is access to it in an emergency. windows-A4.png.5967e05d6f3d1e34a915ce13416e1efc.pngelectric-240V-A4.png.c4401e20861fc23ed60c6f02f7d0c5bd.png

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I have two side hatches and as mentioned very useful for moving things in and out as well as ventilation. Mine are both on the same side and I wish one was on the other (but not opposite) so in hot weather there is more chance of getting a breeze through as one will be on the windward side compared to the other.  They are a common way for breaking in, so get some good fastenings.

Obvs not a  vintage engine in it's own room as that would use 2.

We have 4. Two in engine room, one with semi circle roof lid lid so emergency access. One in Pullman for light. One in kitchen for light also with roof lid and  box steps (storage under) to get out. We have portholes so if bus windows less space to fit in.

Edited by mark99

This is the semi circle cut out in roof hatch. You have to lift the roof hatch to open the side hatches. Make egress easier.

IMAG2490.jpg

IMAG2423.jpg

Also here is a hatch (no roof lid)  with internal glazing that swings inwards and pins back if we want full ventilation  - or closed mirror glass film which gives us privacy but light.

20140531_192930.jpg

Inside arrangement for glazing (prior to putting on mirror film).

IMG_5365.JPG

Edited by mark99

Roof eye view of semi circle cut away in engine room. Note roof swing hatch removed for painting.

20170408_124647.jpg

Steps/storage up to side hatch in galley. Note chrome pull handles. This side hatch also has swing roof hatch but designed to miss the nearby houdini roof hatch - which you can see in centre of roof.

20170511_075836.jpg

Edited by mark99

Lots to think about. I favour a hatch in the kitchen / galley, good for ventilation, cool air in, steam and heat out. If you really want to put two in then probably the living area for light etc. It is not easy to insulate the doors so I would not put one in a cooler part of the boat. Engine hole side doors are always good. So  far as windows are concerned I favour windows not placed opposite each other, the light goes straight in one side and out the other (!)

14 hours ago, umpire111 said:

its all a bit of a rush at the moment

This is a bit worrying at the planning stage!  Seriously, don't get the plan wrong and expect to make up for it later.

• Greenie 3

17 hours ago, mark99 said:

This is the semi circle cut out in roof hatch. You have to lift the roof hatch to open the side hatches. Make egress easier.

IMAG2490.jpg

IMAG2423.jpg

Also here is a hatch (no roof lid)  with internal glazing that swings inwards and pins back if we want full ventilation  - or closed mirror glass film which gives us privacy but light.

20140531_192930.jpg

Inside arrangement for glazing (prior to putting on mirror film).

IMG_5365.JPG

tx for taking the time, having them glazed and off set is good advice

5 hours ago, mark99 said:

When you start to really look at boats, it's funny how many boats do not have symmetrical windows/openings.

Look at virtually any Hudson with an engine room hatch - they are never at the angle they should be, they always follow the gunnel line - even though the roof angle is rising to the rear.