Leeds & Liverpool - where to wind.

Pete of Ebor

Featured Posts

Hi. Just in the throes of planning our May trip. We're hiring from Shire Cruisers at Barnoldswick and going down towards Leeds, but not all the way. Was hoping to wind near Moss Swingbridge 218 as advised by Shire Cruisers, however Canalplan says we cannot wind a 56' boat near Br. 218. Anyone have any local knowledge as to whether we can or can't wind there ? Admittedly, neither of my old copies of Nicholsons actually show a winding hole at or near Br. 218. Canalplan shows either Calverly WH 1 mile short or Aire Valley Marina 4 miles & 7 Locks each way... (from Shire Cruisers Website..)

"Rodley 72 miles 62 locks 45 hours

At Bingley, pass down the Five Rise, the first of several staircases � the most dramatic sort of lock. Soon you arrive in the World Heritage Site of Saltaire, Sir Titus Salt's Italianate mills and model town founded on the wool of the alpaca. See the streets named after his eleven children, and find his statue in the nearby park. There's also a splendid display of Hockneys - he is a Bradford lad. Turn after Bridge 218."

Any ideas ?

Pete.

Don't quote me on this - someone who knows better will be along in a minute - but, looking at my elderly Nicholsons and from having sailed the area a couple of times:

The quoted suggestions - reference to Saltaire then Bridge 218 looks heavily truncated - there is a fair hike between the two.

Nicholsons indicates no winding hole near to/after 218 until you've gone down Newlay, Forge and Kirkstall down to 224 (and back).

From personal recollection, 218 is fine but the cut is fairly standard width around there - reasonable mooring at Rodley and a convenient pub!

Although there's a 'boatyard' short of 217 I recall on line moorings rather than a convenient turning point.

There's a kink in the cut on Google and a winding hole next to the word AIREDALE on Nicholson p131 

That is not far past Apperly Bridge and there is certainly a marina there where you could turn - or even use the real winding hole about 100 yds short of there.

If you only get as far as Saltaire/Shipley there is an old junction at the Westr end where there is stacks of room to wind (208ish).

We did exactly the route you're doing (in the same boay, possibly) a couple of years ago, and turned with no problem just above Newlay Top Lock -- this is shown on Pearson's but not Nicholson's.