School Days - seating/sleeping area conversion

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Did you make your table rod and fittings or did you buy them and if so from where?  I need something like that.

The rod and fittings were from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MVM-Sliding-Table-Rail-for-Camper-Van-Caravan-Motor-Home-T4-T5-T6-950mm-Black/182675304858

In case you need a leg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-CAMPERVAN-ADJUSTABLE-TABLE-LEG-MOTORHOME-CARAVAN-REIMO-FOLDING-TABLE-LEG/252122488995

• Happy 1

Pretty much done with the seating/sleeping area now. Today I added the lino.

Yes, the outside lino goes in a different direction, but it was either that or I waste a chunk of lino.

IMG_20190406_163958.jpg.77a527260b47f47537950ebc7a3f6e68.jpg

IMG_20190406_163916_1.jpg.dbc8487baf45564076154db6fd45ec06.jpg

Still need to put the doors on though...

IMG_20190406_163822.jpg.28603561eec2541775395a9bba728819.jpg

IMG_20190406_163844.jpg.5221a727bb8122f0c02053f63a27e3a5.jpg

My little oil lamp. Lovely!

IMG_20190406_170818.jpg.56e4266aefa34945bc85c668c8c78693.jpg

I'm thinking of changing the foam cushion material from red to blue. I think it'll make a nice contrast. First, I need to learn how to recover foam cushions...  :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Today's task was to try my hand at upholstery. I kinda cheated a wee bit by using plywood on the back of the foam to staple the material on to. Rather than that sewing lark. I don't have the leccy on the boat for a sewing machine (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

IMG_20190421_143635.jpg

Singer or Jones hand sewing machine. I've made kites and dinghy sails with them.  ebay them and i bet one will be going around your way for about 20-30squids. And by the way, I love what you're doing with your boat. 

Edited by BilgePump

9 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Singer or Jones hand sewing machine. I've made kites and dinghy sails with them.  ebay them and i bet one will be going around your way for about 20-30squids. And by the way, I love what you're doing with your boat. 

If you get a Singer for 20-30 quid then you will probably not get a good one. 

I restore them and expect to pay £20 minimum for a project. 

There are also very few of the black cast models butch enough to cope with upholstery. 

The 201k is the best.. £70-80 for a project £120+ for a fully restored and serviced one. It is probably the best straight stitch sewing machine ever made. 

The 99k is the other one, not as strong but nicely boat proportioned and still good enough for most jobs. £20+ needing work and £50-100 fully done up depending on the model and quality of the decorative work. 

There are a few exotic models but I'm not telling you about those because I want them. 

Jones machines are a lottery unless you find a really good 201k clone. 

Some of the foreign clones are worth a look and you don't have competition from the likes of me because there is little resale value. 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

You are doing a great job, Ronnie! I think you are getting as much enjoyment from fitting out your boat as most folk do from boating.

haggis

Indeed! I do plan on doing some boating in June. I'm hoping to take a wee jaunt up to Southbank Marina (from Bowling) as my maiden voyage.

1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

Indeed! I do plan on doing some boating in June. I'm hoping to take a wee jaunt up to Southbank Marina (from Bowling) as my maiden voyage.

It's a pity you won't make the event at the end of May at the Wheel then Auchinstarry. Would have been nice to meet you and School days,

haggis

18 minutes ago, haggis said:

It's a pity you won't make the event at the end of May at the Wheel then Auchinstarry. Would have been nice to meet you and School days,

haggis

Aye, it would have been nice to go, but I couldn't get the time off work that week to attend (then recover :D ).

I hope you'll take us all some nice photos of the event.

• 1 year later...