Opener

Featured Posts

Is there a stern gland greaser expert out there, please?  I've had to remove the tube for my SGG 'cos someone - mentioning no names - has kicked it and snapped the tubing.  I've removed the tube and fittings and, on removing the gripper rings from the end fittings (the expert will know what I'm talking about) I find that teeth on both are damaged and their gripping days are over.

Looking around for replacement I can find tube kits which come with "..1/8" BSP Tube Fitting (x2) and 1/4" BSP Tube Fitting..".  The gripper rings on mine are stamped: 

8mm - 5/16 N 01 - UK MADE .  Both ends exactly the same fitting.

I'm not knowledgeable on SGGs or thread size conversion so can anyone who is tell me if the kits offered [https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/remote-greaser-tube-kit or https://www.asap-supplies.com/greaser-tube-kit-with-fittings-807201 ] are going to be compatible ie the union thread size.

Cheers guys

19031114093000000059.jpg

Edited by Opener
missing info

If using compression fittings on a plastic pipe, you need some inserts to prevent the olive crushing the pipe. A small piece of 6mm copper or aluminium would suffice. However, as the piece is only under pressure when being operated, you would soon know if it burst. In cold weather, the grease can become very resistive.

1 hour ago, Opener said:

Is there a stern gland greaser expert out there, please?  I've had to remove the tube for my SGG 'cos someone - mentioning no names - has kicked it and snapped the tubing.  I've removed the tube and fittings and, on removing the gripper rings from the end fittings (the expert will know what I'm talking about) I find that teeth on both are damaged and their gripping days are over.

Looking around for replacement I can find tube kits which come with "..1/8" BSP Tube Fitting (x2) and 1/4" BSP Tube Fitting..".  The gripper rings on mine are stamped: 

8mm - 5/16 N 01 - UK MADE .  Both ends exactly the same fitting.

I'm not knowledgeable on SGGs or thread size conversion so can anyone who is tell me if the kits offered [https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/remote-greaser-tube-kit or https://www.asap-supplies.com/greaser-tube-kit-with-fittings-807201 ] are going to be compatible ie the union thread size.

Cheers guys

19031114093000000059.jpg

Plenty of 1/8th BSP to 8mm pipe  (5/16")  on Ebay.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Compression-Fittings-Male-Studs-Bspt-from-4mm-to-15mm-for-Fuel-Etc/121189650007?hash=item1c37774e57:m:musu2NyMolMRePFYMc28Q9w

15 hours ago, sharpness said:

Take the tube & the fitting both ends to the local hydraulics company, perhaps Pirtek as in post # 2 and get them to make up a rubber hose with swaged ends, much less fragile than nylon tube.

But you can't see the grease going down it!

49 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

But you can't see the grease going down it!

I cant see the grease going down ours.

You dont need to. As long as its not coming out of a joint, it must be going into the stern gland.....and the effect is instantaneous as i) it builds up pressure so you cant turn the handle any more and ii) most importantly, the drip stops.:)

On 16/03/2019 at 11:15, Boater Sam said:

A brass compression 8mm to whatever the thread is will do the job from any chandlery And won't break as easily next time the big footed oaf goes down there.

Who are you calling 'big-footed'??!!

18 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Ah, so. Now we know whodunit! 

No, it was the last RCR fitter what stood on it Mister, not me!

Ahem!!  Excuse me......!  Whilst no third party normally sets foot (oops!) down my engine 'ole from one years end to the next, I've had a fitter and a BSS examiner planting their size nines down there recently.  Since I got fresh anti-freeze and a BSC out of it I'm not going to cast aspersions but do feel that there is a genuine doubt here....

I'm still a bit lost though as to whether the advertised 1/8" BSP fitting is going to fit in the holes my defunct fittings marked '8mm' came out of.

3 hours ago, Opener said:

Ahem!!  Excuse me......!  Whilst no third party normally sets foot (oops!) down my engine 'ole from one years end to the next, I've had a fitter and a BSS examiner planting their size nines down there recently.  Since I got fresh anti-freeze and a BSC out of it I'm not going to cast aspersions but do feel that there is a genuine doubt here....

I'm still a bit lost though as to whether the advertised 1/8" BSP fitting is going to fit in the holes my defunct fittings marked '8mm' came out of.

Benefit of doubt given, only joshing.

The fitting you need is 1/8" BSP Male thread to either 8mm or 5/16" compression, they are the same size give or take a thou or two and will interchange.

What you had and SOmebody bust was 1/8"BSP to 8mm push fit which uses a grab ring instead of an olive, which compression fittings use.

Instantly interchangeable.

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Benefit of doubt given, only joshing.

The fitting you need is 1/8" BSP Male thread to either 8mm or 5/16" compression, they are the same size give or take a thou or two and will interchange.

What you had and SOmebody bust was 1/8"BSP to 8mm push fit which uses a grab ring instead of an olive, which compression fittings use.

Instantly interchangeable.

Aha!  A straight answer.  I thought previous references to 1/8" to 5/16" were to an adapter I would need. I see now t-hat that is a description of the whole lump at the end of the toob - told you I was thread-igorant!  Cheers

ps - not a josher - just a plain bow.

This is a standard pushfit air pipe fitting for 8mm od plastic pipe. If you can confirm the approx diameter of the thread so that I know wether 1/8 or 1/4 bsp I can probably send you some along with nylon pipe ( what length? ). Send me pm with your address .

P S do not use polyurethane version of air pipe as it will soften if heated.

On 22/03/2019 at 07:45, adrianh said:

This is a standard pushfit air pipe fitting for 8mm od plastic pipe. If you can confirm the approx diameter of the thread so that I know wether 1/8 or 1/4 bsp I can probably send you some along with nylon pipe ( what length? ). Send me pm with your address .

P S do not use polyurethane version of air pipe as it will soften if heated.

Hold that (very kind) thought. Am now sitting on the boat ( in the dark) and will be down the 'ole tomorrow equipped with a commercial toob kit and a lot of hope. Update follows!

On 22/03/2019 at 07:50, Boater Sam said:

All grease gland I have come across are 1/8" BSP.

I got very confused by adverts talking about 1/8" and the stamped 8mm markings - see above. Back soon.

OK - the outcome (and many thanks for the advice and offers).  If my experience helps some other ignorant oaf then my work here is done.....

Pinder 50ft cruiser stern shell from 2003ish - I'm guessing equipment will not have changed radically. I went down the ' ole armed with an adjustable spanner (black mark!) and a tube kit 807201 from ASAP Supplies plus a liberable supply of hope. I should have realised from the advice offered above that the markings on my damaged connectors referred to the tube gripper and not to the thread of the connector itself.

After a quick attempt at cross-threading the connector, the 1/8 went in easily, on both the stern gland and the grease cylinder. Phew!  Fitted one end of the tubing supplied (fairly stiff (=tough) translucent flexible) to the stern gland. It comes as a connector, a compression-like olive thing which will stop the end of the tubing deforming and a screw on end. All holds the tubing securely. Measured how much tubing I needed to get from cylinder to gland and cut off the requisite length using heavy duty scissors. Mistake! The act of cutting deforms the end so that you have an end shaped a bit like a pair of lips instead of a nice round profile. Cut it back a bit with a craft knife to get a clean cut. Connected second end to the grease cylinder.

Spot the deliberate mistake? Disconnected end from stern gland again and screwed down greaser whilst watching the grease creep down the tubing. Left as little air in the line as possible and reconnected. All seems to be working fine - no seepage or excess drips. Well happy.

Thanks again guys.

Edited by Opener
Correct auto correction made