Burglar alarm

Fat Punx

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm looking to install a wireless burglar alarm that will alert me by text and email if possible. Any recommendations for alarms that operate by a remote and hopefully have 2 door contacts, 2 x cat proof PIR's, a loud siren and an indoor and outdoor movement activated camera that uploads pictures to the cloud. Cheaper the better would be good

1 hour ago, Fat Punx said:

Hi

I'm looking to install a wireless burglar alarm that will alert me by text and email if possible. Any recommendations for alarms that operate by a remote and hopefully have 2 door contacts, 2 x cat proof PIR's, a loud siren and an indoor and outdoor movement activated camera that uploads pictures to the cloud. Cheaper the better would be good

Is this going to end up like the roads and car parks with loud alarms going off in the middle of the night on the waterways and nobody able to switch them off? Everyone hates loud car alarms (and their owners) and I'm sure they'd be liked even less on boats. 

3 hours ago, Fat Punx said:

Hi

Do you have a mooring to go to ?

Unless you are on a mains hook-up then just give some thought to how you will power all these PIRs, alarm, camera & siren.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

A big dog is the best alarm, if not you can get dog barking alarms activated by pirs.

Neil

Yep, so true providing of course you live aboard or the dog gets skinny ? Our alarm is not big shes just a Lab but shes good enough :cheers:

1 hour ago, Neil Smith said:

A big dog is the best alarm

My lab is a big dog...

'ecking useless!  :D

(All my labs have loved absolutely everyone - a stripy shirt, mask and swag bag wouldn't have put them off visitors, even if they did come in through the window! I think @mrsmelly is deluded.) ;)

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Say no more !!!

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Say no more !!!

Ive always thought the beauty of a boat is that it meant you didnt need to live in a crap hole!!

Just now, blackrose said:

There are plenty of liveaboards living in crap holes all over the country.

Its a shame I suppose. When I bought my first one ( we lived in a crap hole ) we started the engine and exited the crap hole, never to return. We had to completely restart our jobs/lives etc but well worth the escape in the long run.

Fat Punx

There are many cheap gsm alarms on ebay- for example

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264170527553

I have used several similar but slightly different models for many years now. These monitor my sheds, workshop,van and boats. Cheap to run and you can use battery operated sensors if you want. One I have is loud and activates several sirens -others I have on silent so only I know they have gone off. 

If you are cc ing then you really are going to think about power for it though- think they use just under an amp/hour but I dont know for sure and dont have to worry about it.

3 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

If you are cc ing then you really are going to think about power for it though- think they use just under an amp/hour but I dont know for sure and dont have to worry about it.

That was my concern (Post #6) if he is 'working' (say) 8 hours per day + travelling at both ends of the day then as an additional 'load' on his existing set-up of 10A/H per day it will pretty soon flatten the domestic battery and with not being able to run the engine for more than a couple of hours per day, it won't be long before he is on the forum "why have my lights gone out and the batteries gone flat - they are virtually new !!"

(You can run a modern electric fridge for not a great deal more power consumption).

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Fat Punx

There are many cheap gsm alarms on ebay- for example

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264170527553

I have used several similar but slightly different models for many years now. These monitor my sheds, workshop,van and boats. Cheap to run and you can use battery operated sensors if you want. One I have is loud and activates several sirens -others I have on silent so only I know they have gone off. 

Thanks for that, I've been looking around today and seen a similar one on aliexpress that has 2 door contacts, 2 PIR and a camera, although the camera doesn't send photos to the cloud. I'm not too worried about the power consumption as I've enough solar to cover it and it's only for when I'm in London for a few months in summer.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cZfWLeNL

This ones a bit cheaper

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/XuE3YG1

Edited by Fat Punx
Added url

11 minutes ago, Fat Punx said:

Thanks for that, I've been looking around today and seen a similar one on aliexpress that has 2 door contacts, 2 PIR and a camera, although the camera doesn't send photos to the cloud. I'm not too worried about the power consumption as I've enough solar to cover it and it's only for when I'm in London for a few months in summer.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cZfWLeNL

This ones a bit cheaper

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/XuE3YG1

Cool. If you can get round any power issues looks like a good way to monitor your boat. Is commercially available WIFI feasible in London? That could work well.

At the end of the day it will give you what mine gives me when Im away-peace of mind -so worth every penny ☺

Isn't a remote alarm really only really giving you advanced notice that you're going to find your boat broken into when you return? You still can't do much or assess the situation 'til you get there so I'm not sure it brings much to the table in return for its battery drain. Am I missing something? 

I vote for a dog.  Suggest a Staffie .Friendly and docile with their owners and family,but can be very aggressive.They are incredibly powerful dogs,I know,because it took two strong blokes to pull one off his victim.

With one of these aboard,any burglers will get off your boat much quicker than they got on!

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Isn't a remote alarm really only really giving you advanced notice that you're going to find your boat broken into when you return? You still can't do much or assess the situation 'til you get there so I'm not sure it brings much to the table in return for its battery drain. Am I missing something? 

If it alerts anyone, scares the thief and I can get photos from the camera it might help

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

I vote for a dog.  Suggest a Staffie .Friendly and docile with their owners and family,but can be very aggressive.They are incredibly powerful dogs,I know,because it took two strong blokes to pull one off his victim.

With one of these aboard,any burglers will get off your boat much quicker than they got on!

I can't have a dog as my girlfriend has a cat and I'm not a fan of leaving dogs for too long, they also need to be exercised properly not just let out for the toilet

8 minutes ago, Fat Punx said:

I can't have a dog as my girlfriend has a cat and I'm not a fan of leaving dogs for too long, they also need to be exercised properly not just let out for the toilet

Yeah. A cat is just going to let the burgler in, show them where all the best stuff is, fence the goods and split the profit with the burgler. 

Jen,

who likes cats, has had two on a boat and is currently cat sitting for someone else, but understands how their twisty little cat brains work. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen,

who likes cats, has had two on a boat and is currently cat sitting for someone else, but understands how their twisty little cat brains work. 

B0269487-C498-42AD-B596-2949298D6B9A.jpeg.9a703da90ad72d5b39d55780235acb83.jpeg

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Well, it couldn't do any worse than our present bunch of politicians... 

Whoops, thought I was on the Br***t thread. ?