Alrewas section....open or closed,?

matty40s

Featured Posts

I've never found any CRT information about alrewas. 

It's high and still rising at shardlow so I guess Alrewas could be shut. 

More rain still due this weekend but could be ok by Wednesday. 

But I guess you already know all.of that. 

Hope works out for you. 

Sorry, don't know about Alrewash. But may I ask a navigation question please.

We are north of Burton and heading for Willington. Moored presently, considering the time, and may leave here tomorrow. Does the Trent in flood effect the canal in this area? 

Edited Just want to add, that the Nico map that we have had for eight years or so has a page missing that covers Burton to Willington. 

Edited by Nightwatch

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

We are north of Burton and heading for Willington. Moored presently, considering the time, and may leave here tomorrow. Does the Trent in flood effect the canal in this area? 

You're OK until you get to the Shardlow area

1 minute ago, Rugbyman said:

You're OK until you get to the Shardlow area

Thank you, Thought so, just checking. There's a closure until, I think, 23rd at Aston Lock so hopefully by that time the waters would have dropped.

12 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Edited Just want to add, that the Nico map that we have had for eight years or so has a page missing that covers Burton to Willington. 

You can get all the way to Shardlow.

Leaving the village the canal passes through the flood defence gate and there is a stretch running past Crockers Farm marina ending at  Derwent Mouth Lock. This whole stretch,(including the marina) can very occasionally get the Derwent flowing across it into the Trent...2007 and 2012 last 2 times.

Mate of mine is bringing his new to him boat from Stoke to Shardlow and had to stop at Alrewas because CRT have a padlock on the lock immediately before the wier pound yesterday.

Edited by cuthound
Wier not diet - bluddy spillchucker

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

You can get all the way to Shardlow.

Leaving the village the canal passes through the flood defence gate and there is a stretch running past Crockers Farm marina ending at  Derwent Mouth Lock. This whole stretch,(including the marina) can very occasionally get the Derwent flowing across it into the Trent...2007 and 2012 last 2 times.

Remember 2007. In July both Alrewas and shardlow were shut for 2 weeks leaving many holiday makers to potter between the two. Better than those who had to spend their two weeks in sawley marina. There was a celebratory barbeque the night before Alrewas finally reopened. 

3 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

Remember 2007. In July both Alrewas and shardlow were shut for 2 weeks leaving many holiday makers to potter between the two. Better than those who had to spend their two weeks in sawley marina. There was a celebratory barbeque the night before Alrewas finally reopened. 

We had just bought a 'new' boat and were on the way to the Witham (just a couple of 'good-days' cruise) and had virtually nothing on board (clothes or food).

We got to Sawley just as the locks were being closed - we spent 2 weeks moored up at the top of the lock (but at least water and toilets were on-hand).

the chandlery at Sawley Marina had some frozen chips, bread, Tea-bags and milk so we survived a couple of days, but as it became clear we would not be moving in the near future, it was a case of catching a bus into Long Eaton and getting extra 'supplies', washing powder and some clothes pegs.

The new-boat didn't have an anchor so we did pick up one (30kg) from the Chandlery as it was in the 'clearance corner' (old stock that no one would buy because it was too heavy). From memory I think I paid £70.

If you need to be anywhere at a certain time, don't consider boating as your way of life - even in the Summer you can be stuck for weeks.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Mate of mine is bringing his new to him boat from Stoke to Shardlow and had to stop at Alrewas because CRT have a padlock on the lock immediately before the wier pound yesterday.

Just hope they’ve locked Wychnor as well...

49 minutes ago, Mrs Trackman said:

2007 there was some decent water about. We were living on the Oxford canal with a mooring at Lower heyford that was under water. the Cherwell was flowing across the fields and down the towpath a foot deep in places. Most unusual for that stretch. 2012 we were flooded in at Sawley marina with the roads under water. Most years though are just a bit up like this year.

Back in the 70s I remember taking a boat down that stretch, when the river was not far off the level of the raised towpath. Of course there were no red boards or padlocks then. We had no problems at all, the pull from the (open) weir was not an issue, our only problems were it was VERY tight getting under that footbridge and then when we reached Wychnor lock there was so much draw from the overflow paddles (do they still use those?) that stopping for the lock was extremely difficult.

Yes, 2007 was quite a summer.  Stuck on the Chesterfield for a month with the Trent going up & down with the tide but always flowing the same way.  Could have got back down to Keadby very quickly!  Eventually towed by a much more powerful boat up to Torksey, where it was a wait outside the lock of another week with the floodgates closed.