Help with gas fridge?

Featured Posts

I have a very old Electrolux gas/ 12v fridge which has a problem. Usually I push the control knob in, then the ignition, the flame lights and stays on when I release the knob. Now, the flame lights but goes out when I release the knob. I don't know much about these things but it seems that the thermocouple might of gone. Does this seem likely? If so, does anyone know if this part is available and if so, might replacing it be something simple, that I could do myself? Also would I be right in thinking it would be dangerous to override the thermocouple (if that's what the problem is) by fashioning a way of keeping the knob pressed in while I work out how to repair it?   

4 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I have a very old Electrolux gas/ 12v fridge which has a problem. Usually I push the control knob in, then the ignition, the flame lights and stays on when I release the knob. Now, the flame lights but goes out when I release the knob. I don't know much about these things but it seems that the thermocouple might of gone. Does this seem likely? If so, does anyone know if this part is available and if so, might replacing it be something simple, that I could do myself? Also would I be right in thinking it would be dangerous to override the thermocouple (if that's what the problem is) by fashioning a way of keeping the knob pressed in while I work out how to repair it?   

Easy job to replace as it simply unbolts.

Measure the le gth a d try to get a direct replacement from a plumberscmerchsnt.

If not Screwfix do universal kit, but it may be too long, in which case you MAY be able to roll up the excess length, depending on space available.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/standard-universal-thermocouple-900mm/89191?tc=WT7&ds_kid=92700031336593296&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=CjwKCAjwmq3kBRB_EiwAJkNDpyQp-6llaiWV4w8XcBozL1MEWilsYp1jhGYIgqutI_DpJT_mBsUy7xoCgKYQAvD_BwE

It might just be dirt on the burner. On mine, if it's left a while it won't light. Sometimes you can blow it clean. Alternatively, if the flame has been getting smaller, it can be the jet blocked. This is what was up with mine I think Bizzard suggested cleaning it out with a strand from a wire brush - worked like a charm. 

2 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

Probably thermo couple as others have said, but likely dust as others have said. Buy a can of Air duster, its brilliant for blasting such as this,  I used some to clear my hard to get to oven jets and it worked in seconds. Its cheap as chips on ebay in a purple can by essential electrics or look in poundworld I found some there at a quid a can, a no brainer to try it first :cheers:

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

On reflection I don't feel able to fix this. Does anyone know anyone in the north east Cheshire area, suitably qualified, who could fix this for me?

If its just cleaning, or the jet hole reaming out, it really is quite a simple job. If you pull the fridge out and have a look round the back, you can see it all, and it dismantles and goes back together very easily, nothing but a spanner needed. If you do a search on here, you should be able to find a thread I started a year or so back on the same thing, where Bizzard (i think) gave me very detailed information on how to do it. 

3 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

On reflection I don't feel able to fix this. Does anyone know anyone in the north east Cheshire area, suitably qualified, who could fix this for me?

If you can take the fridge out and take it to someone to fix it will be a lot cheaper and less problematic in terms of getting someone suitably qualified.  

This guy is in Nottingham - I took my gas fridge to him to fix and he did it in an hour and charged me £50.  http://www.motorhometech.co.uk/index.html

If he's too far he may be able to recommend someone in your area.

• Greenie 2