Internal window surrounds

Featured Posts

I have the fairly ubiquitous window surrounds on the inside of my fairly common Caldwell windows - central full height hopper, 4" radius corners.  They are in cream MDF, probably not the best choice of material for boat stuff, and they had a few little cracks in the corners where condensation had got at them when we bought the boat.  As I knew, such problems never heal, and it's getting to the point where I need to replace them.  I have found fibre glass replacements, but before I go down that route, does anyone have a better solution? 

Thanks in advance. 

If I remember right, yours is another Simon Piper boat. Did they do the internal fit out? If so, I'm surprised that they are MDF. On mine they are hardwood. Might be worth contacting Pipers to see if they could make some hardwood replacements. The full height hoppers are a common Piper fitment, though mine has top hopper windows. They have computerised wood machining equipment and should have the designs for surrounds for your windows on file. Might only need the depth of the lining to window frame. They might not be interested, or quote a silly sum, but worth asking.

Jen

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If I remember right, yours is another Simon Piper boat. Did they do the internal fit out? If so, I'm surprised that they are MDF. On mine they are hardwood. Might be worth contacting Pipers to see if they could make some hardwood replacements. The full height hoppers are a common Piper fitment, though mine has top hopper windows. They have computerised wood machining equipment and should have the designs for surrounds for your windows on file. Might only need the depth of the lining to window frame. They might not be interested, or quote a silly sum, but worth asking.

Jen

Great suggestion - Piper - oohh, Hardwood - oohh, Oak - oooo. Computerised machining - fantastic. I had to do mine on a spindle moulder, thus look a bit handmade.

Go for it! 

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I have the fairly ubiquitous window surrounds on the inside of my fairly common Caldwell windows - central full height hopper, 4" radius corners.  They are in cream MDF, probably not the best choice of material for boat stuff, and they had a few little cracks in the corners where condensation had got at them when we bought the boat.  As I knew, such problems never heal, and it's getting to the point where I need to replace them.  I have found fibre glass replacements, but before I go down that route, does anyone have a better solution? 

Thanks in advance. 

Can I ask where the fibreglass replacements can be got?

8 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

You're right, she is a Simon Piper, build and fit out, and I hadn't thought of that Jen. Worth pursuing. I was a bit surprised about MDF, since the equipment they have used is the best of everything and most things are very well worked out and finished - I guess they thought the impervious finish would protect the fabric of the surround? 

8 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Great suggestion - Piper - oohh, Hardwood - oohh, Oak - oooo. Computerised machining - fantastic. I had to do mine on a spindle moulder, thus look a bit handmade.

Go for it! 

I love your enthusiasm!  Quite inspiring!  It won't be Oak  though as my fit out is in Maple and Sapele. 

6 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Can I ask where the fibreglass replacements can be got?

Yes, and I'll tell you... as soon as I remember!  It's a well known window supplier so quite why I can't find the link I don't know - I even worked out the (not inconsiderable) price!

All of these surrounds seem to wrap around the bulkhead opening to meet the frame are the outer edge, which leaves the whole of the cold surface exposed to generate condensation, which is what I believe is killing mine.  That bit needs insulating really, as all the rest of the condensation on the window drains to the outside. It would be great to tackle that issue at the same time.

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I love your enthusiasm!  Quite inspiring!  It won't be Oak  though as my fit out is in Maple and Sapele. 

(I wasn't recommending Oak, merely commenting on the Piper boat).  The grain's too coarse for fine moulding - as I discovered...

21 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

(I wasn't recommending Oak, merely commenting on the Piper boat).  The grain's too coarse for fine moulding - as I discovered...

Ah, I hadn't realised that about oak.  Joinery I'm OK with, cabinetry is a bit beyond my skill set. :blush:

Found these on google.... www.procastnotts.com. 

We have fitted fibreglass surrounds with woodgrain finish, bought at Crick boat show but cant remember the company, sorry. they are held in place with double sided pads so can be easily removed to attend to windows if needed and not be damaged.

1 hour ago, celiaken said:

Found these on google.... www.procastnotts.com. 

We have fitted fibreglass surrounds with woodgrain finish, bought at Crick boat show but cant remember the company, sorry. they are held in place with double sided pads so can be easily removed to attend to windows if needed and not be damaged.

Much appreciated. :)