B&Q black gloss paint

jenevers

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Someone suggested using this on their hull a while back and I wondered if it proved successful in protecting below the waterline.

A boat 'next door' used this and it looks OK. Like any paint its all down to the amount of preparation.

He did not use it below the waterline - having it 'blacked' as normal.

I doubt standard 'gloss' would have the 'petroleum nasties' in it to stop marine growth, mussels etc.

B&Q own brand paint is awful stuff. I used the black gloss on some window frames a year or so back and a week later it still wasn't dry. It's horrible. 

It really is worth going to a proper paint shop, spending twice as much and getting something decent. 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

B&Q own brand paint is awful stuff. I used the black gloss on some window frames a year or so back and a week later it still wasn't dry. It's horrible. 

It really is worth going to a proper paint shop, spending twice as much and getting something decent. 

exactly this

I painted a hull above the waterline in black gloss and it looked great. 3 months later it looked awful, every knock and scrape took paint off and anybody looking at the boat would have thought I'd never steered a boat before. There are better products to use below the waterline too.

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

I painted a hull above the waterline in black gloss and it looked great. 3 months later it looked awful, every knock and scrape took paint off and anybody looking at the boat would have thought I'd never steered a boat before. There are better products to use below the waterline too.

Indeed, blacking right to the gunwhale always look better than gloss black above the waterline in my opinion, but is still prone to scrapes, often from the bolts on lock gates which have been fitted the wrong way round (threaded part and nut protruding  into the lock rather than the head of the bolt).

Years ago, I used a heavy bitumen paint, as used by the PLA for lock gates, etc.  I got it from what was the National Coal Board.

Can you get such stuff today?  It took all sorts of bangs and grinds.   What does the PLA use now?