PRM 150D Gear Box Problem

Lennard

Featured Posts

Hoping someone can advise.  Thanks
My 62' Aqualine narrow boat has a Barras Shire 45 engine with a PRM 150D gearbox fitted 2014. The engine hours are approximately 650.
I purchased this boat in September last year and in the first few hours of operation the gearbox developed noise and vibration after a couple of hours running. When the gearbox was put into neutral for a few seconds and then re engaged the symptoms disappeared for a time. The periods between the fault have become shorter and the drive output very reduced no matter what the engine revs. The reverse gear seems unaffected I suspect that the forward pump or clutch are at fault. The oil level when I purchased was low despite having had an engine service some 8 hrs before. I topped up the gearbox and the level seems to have remained stable over the following 30 hrs. There is no sign of oil leakage.

Anyone out there who might be familiar with this problem  ?   Your input much appreciated - 
Cheers
Nigel Lennard

There is only one pump.

Sounds daft but check the prop for rubbish and the shaft coupling. Is it a Centaflex?

The gears are in constant mesh, I have never known a clutch cause vibrations unless it is losing drive intermittently.

A low oil level will lose all drive before any serious damage occurs, look elsewhere for the problem first before condemning the gearbox.

Hi Sam -  it is losing drive intermittently -  initially it ran for a time before losing drive, but the longer I run the engine, the more frequently the drive loss occurs.  I have to let it go into neutral, for a short while, then I can re start the drive.  

Nigel 

2 hours ago, Lennard said:

Hi Sam -  it is losing drive intermittently -  initially it ran for a time before losing drive, but the longer I run the engine, the more frequently the drive loss occurs.  I have to let it go into neutral, for a short while, then I can re start the drive.  

Nigel 

Check that the cable travel is actually pulling/pushing the gearbox lever at the gearbox fully in both directions.

In fact, disconnect the cable at the gearbox, put the box fully into forward, put the stick also into forward and see if the cable will reconnect without moving either lever.

What you are describing is most likely not a gearbox fault but a cable fault.

If the cable is pulled for forward, it is possible it is stretched and about to snap, do you have a spare cable? I suspect you are going to need one very soon.

Edited by Boater Sam
  • Greenie 1

What type of oil does it have in it?

As mentioned above is the cable moving the gear change lever the full amount, you will see holes to the lever and there is a ball bearing and spring behind which goes in the holes in each of the three positions.

So apparently something a little over 30 running hours of ownership. I would want to know when this happens, was it last  autumn & early winter or s it doing it now. If last  September them I would suggest its classic symptoms of leaves around the prop and the OP will not find them by looking down the weed hatch because they will float away as soon as neutral is engaged. I am with Sam, sounds much more like a prop or shaft problem than the gearbox. At 5 yeas old I doubt its the drive plate.

Thanks to all for the input.   

I will not be at the boat until early April - having used her only for four weeks in September and then winterised and left in a marina berth. The boat has only done 600 hours so drive plate should not be the problem.  

I will certainly look into all the suggestions put forward once back in UK.  Thank you

Cheers

Nigel 

30 minutes ago, Lennard said:

Thanks to all for the input.   

I will not be at the boat until early April - having used her only for four weeks in September and then winterised and left in a marina berth. The boat has only done 600 hours so drive plate should not be the problem.  

I will certainly look into all the suggestions put forward once back in UK.  Thank you

Cheers

Nigel 

The red just about confirms leaves as far as I am concerned (on the info given) and I bet it will be perfect when you set off this year -------------------------------------------- until the autumn. If it happens again just give it a short burst of astern to clear the leaves and look around the back of the boat, you will see a great cloud of them float away.

• Greenie 1